Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  28
Author: Subject: Tour My Lab
domaani
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 12:09

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
I have to say I find it amusing in a wry sort of way that you have this nice fume hood but haven't upgraded the sink. That is, unless you count the quick disconnect on the nozzle. Which I don't.

That's something I'll just have to cope with. If the place was mine, I would have ripped the original cabinets off. There's no point in that now, the whole lab is moving to another location within a scope of two years. Then you'll see ;)
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Tired, Cleaning up corporate messes at work!

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 12:12

You were still very lucky to have that space when 12. many people still cant have that.. :)
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 19:05

You are totally right about that undead--I don't even have an official "lab" space and I'm well over 12. :(
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oligomerised

[*] posted on 18-4-2009 at 13:04

Our new CO2(l) cylinder for in house dry-ice production. Next to it is our O2 cylinder.

Our H2 cylinder next to our N2 cylinder. The N2 cylinder has been rigged so that Nitrogen is available on the main work bench and in the fume hood.

Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 18-4-2009 at 13:24

O3: You guys just love warning signs, don't you? :P Nice pics by the way - makes me jealous.

I'm considering investing in a cylinder of argon or nitrogen when I build my lab. Unfortunately Yara basically has monopoly on bottled gas in Norway, and their prices for the rent of the cylinder are just outrageous! :mad:

[Edited on 18-4-2009 by Lambda-Eyde]

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 18-4-2009 at 14:27

Quote:

O3: You guys just love warning signs, don't you?

If Ozonelabs ever gets inspected by the "authorities" those placards will probably be the most important item on their list. :(

I'm curious to know if Ozonelabs had any difficulty in buying a cylinder of hydrogen?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2009 at 14:32

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
those placards will probably be the most important item on their list.

Indeed- we always keep things appropriately marked for just such an occasion.

No, we had no troubles buying the Hydrogen cylinder.

Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2009 at 10:43

A new addition: A flammables storage cabinet:

User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 25-5-2009 at 01:49

It is always nice to have one of those.
I was always staring at those things where i had my education.
Those holes are overpressure vents right?

What a fine day for chemistry this is.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-5-2009 at 05:52

Is it basically a metal cabinet with holes in it that has been painted yellow with fire retardent paint? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper to make one?
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2009 at 10:53

Quote: Originally posted by Mossydie  
Is it basically a metal cabinet with holes in it that has been painted yellow with fire retardent paint? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper to make one?
Not unless you've got a decent sheet metal shop. Those cabinets are double walled of heavier-than-ordinary gauge sheet, specially vented, welded together. The door has a closer with a fusible link that, in case of fire, automatically shuts to suppress disaster. These cabinets are often powder-coated with a thermosetting epoxy resin.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-5-2009 at 17:09

Thanks for the info...there's always more behind such things that there seems to be :)
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 4-6-2009 at 21:39

I'm just curious guys (as I am setting up a lab of my own), how much monetary amount did it take to set up your lab total?

Just wondering.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 07:28

I've not set up my lab either. Its a project for the summer. But I have a nice stainless steel table that I got for free so I'm happy about that. So far I suspect I've probably spent about 1200 GBP - this has got me a buchi rotovap, ohaus milligram balance, a 1L heating mantle, a 250ml heating mantle, lots of glassware and my only chemical so far... 40g of lithium :D
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 08:29

Here at Ozonelabs we have been lucky with a lot of our equipment and it does pay off to keep good relations with companies and institutions as a lot of our cabinets and equipment have come from such places.

We would estimate that we have spent around £700 on equipment including the fume-cupboard, however around £1000 on glassware and at least £1500 on chemicals.We would also recommened good storage facilities as safety should be paramount in a laboratory, good seperation of incompatible reagents and flammables is invaluable. It also really pays off to buy good equipment first time around rather than buying poorer equipment which may let you down at a bad time, glassware especially so. We also have to pay monthly cylinder rentals fo bare this in mind.

We found that an ordinary worktop works very well as a laboratory surface against harsh reagents and you can pick up offcuts cheaply from suppliers. Furthermore a simple pumping and storage system for water during long syntheses can really cut down on water costs. We would also recommend a good isolated circuit breaker and emergency power cut off button as hotplates, fumehoods, heating mantles, freezers and lights all put a strain on the supply and a fire is the last thing anyone wants. The emergency stop button again paramount as cutting the supply in event of a fire may be very difficult to do, and even a large spillage could cause an electircal hazard.

All in all a home laboratory is really a second job in managing it safely, but we think its fair to say that starting off small and slowly building it up gives a great sense of achievement and your collection will grow quicker than you think!

Best of luck to those planning a lab setup for the coming months!

Ozonelabs

Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 09:18

I think I have spent quite a lot of money. For the fume hood, flammables safety cabinet and working bench (including tap water) together maybe 1000 EUR. But I recieved these as presents for high school graduation and 3x holiday present (didnt recieve a present for 3 years, as I didnt need anything). I know I am lucky on these :)

I have spend maybe 200 EURO on glasware, 100 EUR on a hotplate+stirrer and a 250mL mantle, and quite a lot on chemicals, I'm not sure how much.

Last half year I have hardly bought chemicals at all and mainly foccused on equipment, glasware and other things you need in a lab like disposables.
However, this weeks I will recieve my first large chem order again, wich incluses CCl4, As2O3, ethanol, ethyl acetate, and small amounts of other chemicals including lead acetate, sodium nitroprusside, acetonitril and some others.
pHzero
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fully substituted

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 11:07

Here you go everyone: a guided tour of my "lab"

Here's my bookshelf. From left to right: n-heptane, caclium hypochlorite, meths, methylbenzene, HCl, Na2Cr2O7, propanone, NaHCO3. There are some horrible histories magazines on the bottom shelf from when i read them 5 years ago, and havent bothered clearing them out yet

The upper shelf of my bookshelf. A test tube of ferricyanide in a glass, a beaker of FeCl3 with an empty test tube in it and some phenolphthalein

My bedside table. From front to back: a lot of spills, FeCl3, potassium ferricyanide, sulfuric acid and KOH

My cupboard. Lots of KNO3 and lots of GAA

The garden table. From left to right, 5M NH3, NaCl, an empty jar, a beaker of Ag2O, a lighter, H2SO4 and NaOH in a cereal pourer.

A random bottle of HNO3 sitting on the lawn

The shed. 25l of MeOH, some formic acid (40% and 100%) and some benzyl alcohol

More shed. Acetic acid 30% and NaHCO3

Random distillation still, also sitting on the lawn

[Edited on 5-6-2009 by pHzero]
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 11:22

Nice.

But really, do something about your storage. Bottles standing horizontally in the garden, lots of flammables and mess all over the place. Try to clean up a little and buy or pick up a cabinet from waste sites in wich you can nicely put your bottles away.

To be honest, even though I know your are not running a drug lab and you are really interested in science, it does LOOK like a meth lab. You should clean up and make sure you have a clean place.

By the way, that's a nice 3Kg of sodium dichromate :P You bought that from eBay right? :D

[Edited on 5-6-2009 by Jor]

Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 11:32

Ferricyanide and Sulphuric Acid on your BEDSIDE table?

For the sake of your own health move them somewhere! Of all of the chemical combinations I wouldn't want next to me- that's gotta be up there.

A winchester of Nitric Acid stored lying down, in the middle of your garden next to a brick. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Flammables next to acids...

Please, keep all of your chemicals more safely. Wear goggles, gloves etc...

We all have to start somewhere, but with everything around like that it could be that you aren't around for long enough to learn from your mistakes.

pHzero
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 11:53

Quote: Originally posted by Jor  
Nice.

But really, do something about your storage. Bottles standing horizontally in the garden, lots of flammables and mess all over the place. Try to clean up a little and buy or pick up a cabinet from waste sites in wich you can nicely put your bottles away.

To be honest, even though I know your are not running a drug lab and you are really interested in science, it does LOOK like a meth lab. You should clean up and make sure you have a clean place.

By the way, that's a nice 3Kg of sodium dichromate :P You bought that from eBay right? :D

Hmm, I used to have all my bottles nice and tidy an upright in my wardrobe, organised into acids, alkalis, oxidisers, reducers, precious metals.... But then I get stuff out and don't bother putting it back. I should tidy it up over the weekend.

I know it looks like a meth lab xD
In fact, my mum thinks it is but says that she doesnt wanna know about it.

And yeah, the dichromate's from mistral_ie on ebay. I wouldnt really recommend them if you're looking for good quality chemicals though - their Zn's lumpy and their dichromate and KCl have black lumps in them.

Quote: Originally posted by Ozonelabs  
Ferricyanide and Sulphuric Acid on your BEDSIDE table?

For the sake of your own health move them somewhere! Of all of the chemical combinations I wouldn't want next to me- that's gotta be up there.

A winchester of Nitric Acid stored lying down, in the middle of your garden next to a brick. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Flammables next to acids...

Please, keep all of your chemicals more safely. Wear goggles, gloves etc...

We all have to start somewhere, but with everything around like that it could be that you aren't around for long enough to learn from your mistakes.

Hmm, I hadnt thought of that... ferricyanide+acid --> hydrogen cyanide+ferric. I think I'll move the acid.

But yeah, I've gotta have a tidy-up on the weekend.

EmmisonJ
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 11:54

Quote: Originally posted by Ozonelabs  

looks like the garden table already learned a few lessons :D

nice collection, but definitely separate your chemicals. i'd be terrified if i left chemicals and lab glass out on the lawn i'd be raided in 24 hours tops and locked away for having a "meth lab". all it takes is suspicion, chemicals, and a half box of sudafed somewhere in your house and that's all they need. they don't care what's really going on, if you're interested in chemistry you're automatically a meth cook in LEO's eyes. be careful, f'ed up but true
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 12:11

pHzero - I am shocked and amazed. The nitric acid sideways on the lawn is what jumped out at me, most idiotic and dangerous. As is a large bottle of concentrated sulphuric acid by the bed. I used to keep a few chemicals in my bedroom but they certainly were not chemicals that when accidentally dropped onto the floor would spew out HCN!

Please Please Please do SOMETHING. Get a filing cupboard, plastic storage boxes with lids etc. Store your chemicals, download MSDS read and familiarise yourself with where each should be stored. Just because acetic acid is corrosive, as is nitric acid, do not store them on the same shelf together in a corrosives cabinet, etc.

And store them preferably in your garage or outhouse, shed or garden tool cabinet (can get them in Argos etc would make a nice outside storage facility)

I expect DJF90 will attack soon, like vicious 68% HF or something....

Jor - I love your cabinet!

As to the cost of a lab set up, I have no idea... £££... I spent £150 on a custom dual bank, 3 port manifold. Other bits of kit include Variomag reaction black, Grant water bath, heat blocks, mantles, wide range of quickfit including various customised pieces I've had made.

Bad luck with analytical equipment however over the years, but I'm getting there! Grand total is well into the thousandS.

[Edited on 5-6-2009 by panziandi]

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
pHzero
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 12:18

Quote: Originally posted by panziandi  
pHzero - I am shocked and amazed. The nitric acid sideways on the lawn is what jumped out at me, most idiotic and dangerous. As is a large bottle of concentrated sulphuric acid by the bed. I used to keep a few chemicals in my bedroom but they certainly were not chemicals that when accidentally dropped onto the floor would spew out HCN!

Please Please Please do SOMETHING. Get a filing cupboard, plastic storage boxes with lids etc. Store your chemicals, download MSDS read and familiarise yourself with where each should be stored. Just because acetic acid is corrosive, as is nitric acid, do not store them on the same shelf together in a corrosives cabinet, etc.

And store them preferably in your garage or outhouse, shed or garden tool cabinet (can get them in Argos etc would make a nice outside storage facility)

I expect DJF90 will attack soon, like vicious 68% HF or something....

My mum's said I can have the garage to turn into a lab, so they'll probably end up there in my weekend tidy-up. Just need some light (i was thinking of some low bay metal halides off ebay), a desk and some plug sockets and I've got a lab :)

Oh and the H2SO4's moved now. I'm surprised I didn't notice the risk there, with the ferricyanide.

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 13:00

Where to start...
I thought before that maybe you were alright, but this has shown me just how stupid you really are. Firstly, and this is completely non-chemistry related, but your house and garden is a aweful mess! Who lives like that? Leaving stuff all out on the lawn and on the floor everywhere is a hazard in itself.

Secondly, bottles are meant to be stored upright. In most cases with glass bottles especially the lid is made of a different material (plastic) which may only have moderate resistance to the chemical contained. As it is not supposed to be in constant contact with the contained chemical, this is not normally a problem, but storing your bottles on their sides is bad practice. PLus if the lid is a little leaky (for whatever reason, maybe you;ve been chewing it or something, it really wouldnt suprise me) then storing the bottle upright (how it should be stored; take note!) prevents the chemical from leaving its container and dissolving your bookcase. Go figure.

Thirdly, you need to store your chemicals in compatible groups. MSDS will help you do that, so I suggest you find a source for that. I'm not going to help you with this one, I would hope you can find them yourself (or maybe you really are THAT stupid).

Fourthly, don't store chemicals in your living quarters. This include incompatabilities next to eachother on your bedside table. What happens if you accidentally knocked them off in the middle of the night and ended up being gassed with HCN?! (Now theres a nice thought...) And even if you woke up before having all your haemoglobin bound by cyanide you wouldnt be able to excape because your floor is a fucking mess! I do hope I'm not repeating myself...

Fifthly, you're storing 25L of methanol OUTSIDE, in the SUMMER, when it is WARM. Does this sound BAD to you? At 20C, its vapor pressure is about 1/7th of an atmosphere? Does it sound bad NOW? And the flash point is 11C. How about now?

I dont think I need to go on any more. Sort it out.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 14:07

:D

Most covered has been covered, but the very important notes are don't store bottles on their side, and don't leave things on the lawn. The first has been explained, and the latter because that attracts unneeded legal attention. Especially when you have a pile of unlabeled baggies of white powder:P:o

Storage in living quarters is often unavoidable as a amateur chemist, but those where you sleep should be nonvolatile, and preferably of the type that do not produce instant death upon mixing:P

On the note of how much the lab costs, when I had mine it was about 2000 total over the years I had it.

[Edited on 5-6-09 by The_Davster]

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  28

Go To Top