Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strange phenomenon whilst preparing Isopropyl nitrite
numos
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-11-2014 at 21:17
Strange phenomenon whilst preparing Isopropyl nitrite

A few weeks ago I wanted to make s small amount of Isopropyl nitrite, from which the biggest joy was setting it alight, since it burns so fiercely. So I wanted to make a slightly larger batch to remake the "whoosh bottle" experiment on a more powerful scale.

So I set up the Nitrite solution in an RBF in an ice bath, and added the alcohol mixture through a dropper funnel. I let that drip for an hour or so and then left it since it was still bubbling. About an hour later I came back to it (still under ice) and poured it into a large beaker.

So what I had in the RBF was a clear line of separation, with about 1cm of yellow oil at the top and a greenish solution below. As soon as the contents hit the beaker I started seeing an imitation of the hot ice reaction. As I poured it into the beaker I built a sort of tower. I stuck my gloved hand into it, and I've never felt anything like it. Think like dissolving Styrofoam in acetone and resulting paste that follows, only less gooey and not stuck together. At that point I did what I could to get the remaining product (filter) although it wasn't much.

Some things to note, as soon as the stuff started solidifying it started bubbling vigorously and evolved NOx gases, the solid mass did not heat up like Sodium acetate does. The mass itself is pH neutral. It dissolves in water, and in Acetone it does not dissolve but gives a thick slurry, like a slushy.

According to Wikipedia, decomposition of Alkyl nitrites forms "polymerization products", is that what this is?

Filtering the slush:
1.jpg - 246kB

A close up shows that it consists of tiny little flakes, apparently clear.
2.jpg - 251kB

Edit: I just took a closer look, it is not made from tiny flakes. It's literally goop, there are no distinguishable particles, and when prodded it acts like the Styrofoam I mentioned earlier. It is also still happily bubbling away (not Nitrogen oxides) I'm going to let a small amount dry and update later.

[Edited on 11-24-2014 by numos]

TGT
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-11-2014 at 23:53

Could the Isopropyl be tainted? Where did you a purchase it, that's all I can really think of, although I have never run in to something like this before. I am sure others will have a good explanation.

TGT
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2014 at 10:49

It was drug-store grade, 91% with the inactives being water. I know for a fact that my beaker must have been dusty for it to initiate that.

UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 24-11-2014 at 19:08

Supersaturated solution of alkali sulfate or bisulfate salt. I've had a large flask solidify rapidly during preparation.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 24-11-2014 at 19:11

Where would the sulfate have come from? The acid used is hydrochloric, right?

Try burning it, to see if it is organic.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-11-2014 at 12:11

I did a burn test and it did not burn or char. I'm guessing it is a Sodium based sulfate salt like UC suggested. I used Sulfuric, but I suppose next time using HCl might work better as I think it is much more difficult to get Sodium chloride to crystallize out like this did.

CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 04:14

is there any chance that the sulphuric acid oxidised the nitrite to nitrate ?

also ,since nitrous acid is unstable and decomposes,i think you would get better yields if you mixed the isopropyl alcohol and sodium nitrite in a beaker and dripped in the acid slowly into the alcohol-nitrite mixture

when you used sulphuric acid,was there any formation of isopropyl hydrogen sulphate
because if conc H2SO4 is added to ethanol at room temperature ,ethyl hydrogen sulphate forms

also ,if you use HCl ,is there any chance of formation of isopropyl chloride ?
because as isopropyl alcohol is a secondary alcohol,no heating is required to replace the OH with a Cl

Go To Top