Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Zinc reduction for 2C-H from nitrostyrene
DNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Experimenting

[*] posted on 17-2-2009 at 05:34

I think it would be nice actually to steam distill the freebase directly out of the reaction mixture, this prevents you from dealing with large amounts of zinc salts and the whole reaction mixture crap.
After the steam distillation you will have your freebase very pure which also enhances the bromination.
And when it forms the carbonate then it does but actually it is not a problem if it does so, because before the bromination you will dissolve it in glacial acetic acid anyway so if you have the carbonate salt or the HCl salt or the freebase it is all the same in the end of the day ;)
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 18-2-2009 at 21:22

precipitate the zinc salts w/ oxalic acid, remove the zinc oxalate, then deal with them amine...

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
gonzo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 14:45
2c-h distilling

hi. is it possible to distill 2c-h with an aspirator vacuum ? what is the boiling point of 2c-h ? Is an 100mmHg vacuum enough to distill it ?

thanx in advance
DNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Experimenting

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 00:19

No it is not enough vacuum to distill 2C-H.
I don't know the boiling point by heart but you can look it up in pihkal.
Then with a nomograph you can calculate the boiling point at 100mmHg but probably the 2C-H will decompose at the temperature you will need at 100mmHg.
gardenvariety
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-3-2010 at 08:54

Has anyone attempted to bubble HCl into the alcohol rather than using 31% in water? I'm wondering if you could get substantially more nitrostyrene into a batch if the solvent wasn't half water.

Going to try this and compare in a few weeks but wondering if anyone else looked down that path.
xwinorb
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 14:18

I have never tried it. The yield is quite high already anyway.

My best 75 %, my worse 55 %.

The more significant factor I could relate to higher yields was the color ( I guess that means purity ) of the nitrostyrene.

When I used a more dull, brownish one, the yields were lower. When the nitrostyrene had a better, nice, bright orange color the yield was better.

It works.
Bronstein
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 14:04

I was thinking about using this procedure to reduce another nitrostyrene and I thought what smuv wrote about using oxalic acid seemed intreresting.

Quote: Originally posted by smuv  
precipitate the zinc salts w/ oxalic acid, remove the zinc oxalate, then deal with them amine...

But when I think more about it, to precipitate the 100g zinc used in this procedure you would need 192g oxalic acid (dihydrate). And oxalic acid dissolves at ~14g/100ml water (according to wiki), so if you dissolved it before you added it you would need more than 1.3L of water. And this reaction already has a quite large volume.

But perhaps you could add it dry directly to the reaction mixture?

Or perhaps it's not worth the extra trouble to use oxalic acid, I don't know...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top