Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reactions of inorganic Nitrites
kyro8008
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 04:53
Reactions of inorganic Nitrites

I have found lots of information regarding the manufacture of inorganic nitrites, but very little regarding their reactions. Everyone seems very excited about them but I have no idea for their uses either.

Could anyone summerise the various reactions of nitrites (with water - does it ionise or react with water?, acids, bases, organics, etc).

What am i missing here...?

Thanks in advance!
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 05:13

you could let KNO2 react with aniline to form K<sup>+</sup>C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>5</sub>-N=N<sup>-</sup>

So in other words, nitrite can react with amino groups to form diazonium salts and water.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 06:24

Or use them to make organic nitrites such as isopropylnitrite, then react this with hydrazine hydrate to form sodium azide.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 06:54

In fact, nitrite is one of my favorite chemicals, because it allows many interesting experiments to be done. My favorites are simple but strange inorganic compounds.

Just try the following:

Addition of NaNO2 or KNO2 to concentrated HCl: Formation of ONCl (nitrosyl chloride, an orange gas).
Addition of NaNO2 to dilute HCl, to which some NaBr or KBr is added. Formation of a deep chocolate brown compound (definitely not bromine, much different color). Is this stuff ONBr?
Addition of NaNO2 to an acidified solution of NaSCN or NH4SCN gives a deep red/brown compound, probably nitrosyl isothiocyanate. Also formation of intensely dense white fumes. I do not know the composition of all these. This really is a riddle.

Addition of NaNO2 to a solution of CuSO4 in dilute HCl gives rise to formation of a deep blue copper (II) complex. The nitrite, the chloride and the acid are essential. Leave out one of them and you do not get the beautiful complex.

Addition of NaNO2 to a solution of CH3OH in dilute HCl or dilute H2SO4 gives a colorless gas, which burns with a white/grey flame. This gas is methyl nitrite, CH3ONO, and can easily be isolated. This is an isomer of nitromethane, CH3NO2.

You can also make AgNO2 easily by mixing solutions of NaNO2 and AgNO3. This compound can be used in organic syntheses, e.g. making trinitromethane from iodoform.

If you want more experiments with NaNO2, then look at my website under the experiments section and search for nitrite.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 14:48

Diazotization reactions come to mind. They are used to synthesize some expolsives, for example DDNP.
kyro8008
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 17:06

Thanks for all the responces, i will have to try these when I get hold of some nitrites.

Those experiments look very interesting!
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 17:26

Be sure to keep the reaction flask cool (i.e. below 5 C) if you are planning to carry out diazotization
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 23-12-2005 at 01:43

From diazonium salts you can make interesting products, like iodobenzene from aniline by diazotization and subsequent addition of potassium iodide solution. There's a process in Gattermann- Wieland.
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 6-1-2021 at 18:20

Regarding the diazotization with nitrites. How much is the reaction affected when the nitrite has degraded to have trace nitrates? I have a container that's ten years old, which I use for curing, but I purchased straight nitrite so it could be useful in other things. Its been kept cool in the basement but in HDPE plastic. I think its drawn in moisture, the crystals look deliquescent. Diazotization seems enigmatic as is so I'm not sure the effect of nitrate. There is a smell of NOx too, though faint.

One must forego the self to attain total spiritual creaminess and avoid the chewy chunks of degradation.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-1-2021 at 22:06

Every time people talk about nitrites, I get that Boney M song stuck in my head. Nitrites to Venus, way out there in space....

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
GreenJames
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 21:26

I saw a MrHomeScientist video in which he mixed a solution of ammonium chloride and sodium nitrite and heated this below boiling. This supposedly forms elemental nitrogen which bubbles out of solution. This could be great for storing air-sensitive chemicals or just getting a sample of nitrogen for an element collection.

https://youtu.be/xn82hcjR2tA

Go To Top