Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How many moles of Aluminum are needed to reduce a mole of nitromethane in a Al/Hg reduction?
ewel
Harmless

Mood: sock puppet

[*] posted on 30-11-2014 at 17:18
How many moles of Aluminum are needed to reduce a mole of nitromethane in a Al/Hg reduction?

What is the needed amount of Al to reduce one mole of nitromethane? I've searched for some time using the search engine but the only information I could find was regarding the reductions of imines, nitropropenes or oximes. Is this equation correct?

2 Al + 4 H2O + CH3NO2 > CH3NH2 + 2 Al(OH)3

Also what would be the expected yield?

I want to procure some EtOH/MeNH2 solution by doing the reduction in a closed system and then decanting as much of the ethanol as possible. Knowing the yield I could roughly evaluate what is the concentration of it.
Mesa
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 05:42

If your reaction worked as written, what would be the purpose of the EtOH/IprOH/MeOH that is used in pretty much every text I can recall?

I do not believe the reaction will completely reduce(if at all) a nitroalkane in purely aqueous solutions.
phendrol
Harmless

Mood: sock puppet

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 07:51

If you would read my whole post, you would know that I don't want to use water alone.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 08:30

I understand that a trolling sock puppet master must have a hard time keeping his self organized, responding to a thread under the wrong persona/nick would be a CONSTANT danger...

Posted as phendrol
Quote:

If you would read my whole post, you would know that I don't want to use water alone.

Posted as ewel
Quote:
What is the needed amount of Al to reduce one mole of nitromethane? I've searched for some time using the search engine but the only information I could find was regarding the reductions of imines, nitropropenes or oximes. Is this equation correct?

2 Al + 4 H2O + CH3NO2 > CH3NH2 + 2 Al(OH)3

Also what would be the expected yield?

I want to procure some EtOH/MeNH2 solution by doing the reduction in a closed system and then decanting as much of the ethanol as possible. Knowing the yield I could roughly evaluate what is the concentration of it.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Closed
1-12-2014 at 08:31

Go To Top