Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  16
Author: Subject: Preparation of ionic nitrites
Σldritch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-9-2016 at 13:13

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  

Blue Fe(II)SO4 mixed with yellow sulfur would give a green color. Eventually, the iron II sulfate would oxidize to iron III, which is more of a yellow/orange/brown color depending on concentration.

I dubt that is what caused the color because it was very dark green to the point that after i washed out the beaker and neutralized some sodium bisulfate in it the color returned albeit not nearly as dark and it seemed to move down to the bottom of the solution.

Anyway the aqeous reduction with liver of sulfur was a failure as expected, worth a try atleast.
theAngryLittleBunny
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-7-2017 at 14:49

I tried reducing KNO3 with tin today, and I think I should tell you what happend and why it isn't a good idea.

So I melted 62g of KNO3 in a metal can on a gas burner and put a 35g piece of tin into it. It obviously quickly melted and on stirring, within a few minutes a lot of gray SnO appeared and it seemed to be going well, the mixture became quite thick from the SnO. But after a substantial amount of SnO built up, the KNO3/KNO2 started reacting with it in a thermite like way, a ton of SnO2 smoke was released from the steel can, and as soon as I saw that the can started to melt, I knocked it from the gas burner and it cuntinued reacting violently for a like 30 seconds and melted completely through the container.

So just don't use tin for this, it's not a good idea.
Σldritch
Hazard to Others

thumbup.gif posted on 29-9-2017 at 11:40
Very OTC Sodium NItrite

I found a really nice nitrite synth on atomistry:
The Sodium nitrite, NaNO2, is obtained by reducing sodium nitrate with metals such as lead or iron, with sulphur or carbon, or with material containing these substances. In Dittrich's process the nitrate is heated with slaked lime and sawdust, the yield being almost quantitative, where as the action of coal and charcoal is too energetic:

Im very suprised this has not been posted before. I have read about people here attempt something similar with charcoal but getting bad results. It seems any reducing agent with a base will reduce nitrate to nitrite.

I did not have any sawdust nor calcium hydroxide on hand so i tried it with flour and sodium hydroxide drain cleaner:

12 NaNO3 + 12 NaOH + C6H10O5 = 12 NaNO2 + 6 Na2CO3 + 11 H2O

I heated 115g of Sodium Nitrate with the stochiometric ammounts of the other reagents, mixed sloppily together in a steel can with plenty of head room, on a burner. A lid was loose placed over it. As it heated up it started smoking and foaming. The reaction seemed to stop after the smoking did and i was left with a light yellow mixture at the bottom of the can.

Afterthe cake had cooled it was crushed up and dissolved in boiland water and cooled in a fridge. The mixture froze to a slush. It then filtered it on a vacuum pump until mostr of the slush had melted. (The slush was probely a mixture of sodium carbonate and some sodium nitrite hydrate). The mixture was then boiled down to the theoretical volume of a satured solution containing the theoretical amount of sodium nitrite formed in the reaction and chilled and filtered again.

Then i thought i would neutralize the residual sodium hydroxide so i added sodium bicarbonate repeated the filtering again. I really should have thought about that earlier but oh well.

I evaporated the final solution on a steam bath and tested with hydrochloric acid. It seems i got a relativly high yield even with extra steps though it would probely be pointless to weigh.

This seems WAY better than using lead or sulfur or some other obscure ways to reduce nitrite. And with calcium hydroxide you could make it even simpler. Nitrite can be made dirt cheap with this method im sure.

I really recommend this, im going to make some isopropyl nitrite now aga ;)

[Edited on 29-9-2017 by Σldritch]
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 15:58

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=52

Separation of unreacted nitrate is very difficult, and some brown gas on acid addition is hardly a good way to quantify such a mixture. Converting the crude mix to a water-immiscible nitrite ester is probably among the best approaches.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 17:30

This is a pretty cool idea. Not sure why lime would be simpler... the insolubility of resulting CaCO3 might make it difficult to extract the product.

Solubility at 0 C:

KNO2: 280 g / 100 mL
KNO3: 13 g / 100 mL

This is large enough that a saturated solution prepared from the potassium salts at 0 C should have a sufficiently high proportion of nitrite for practical purposes.

If nitrite free of nitrate is desired, such as for the preparation of N2O3, this reaction can be used:

NiCl2 (aq) + 6KNO2 (aq) >> K4Ni(NO2)6*H2O (s) + 2KCl (aq)

"Potassium nitrite (80 g in 25 ml water) was addedwith brisk stirring to NiCl2*6H20 (20 g in 20 ml water). The crystalline precipitate was filtered, washed with cold methanol, and dried in the air (yield 88%)"
http://www.publish.csiro.au/CH/CH9731663

Potassium hexanitronickelate monohydrate precipitates as orange-brown crystals which dry to a violet solid when heated under vacuum. However, I am not sure if this solid can be used to generate N2O3 by rxn with acids (although I suspect the answer is "yes" so long as the acid is strong enough, eg H2SO4).
Σldritch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 01:28

Quote: Originally posted by UC235  
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=52

Separation of unreacted nitrate is very difficult, and some brown gas on acid addition is hardly a good way to quantify such a mixture. Converting the crude mix to a water-immiscible nitrite ester is probably among the best approaches.

Misremembered the solubility of sodium nitrate... Anyway if the reaction was not complete i would not expect a white cake after the reaction but a grey one. Of course the nitrite might react faster than the nitrate with the carbon so it does not guarantee purity but nitrate as the stronger oxidizer should react first.

Ill try making a alkyl nitrite soon but i have guests now so it will have to wait.
brubei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 03:21

Sodium Nitrate is commonly sold for ceramic making.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 04:23

OTC sodium nitrite is legal and easy in UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Sodium-nitrite-high-quality-/3...

do I get a prize ? :P

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 05:09

Only if he'll ship to Canada!
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 08:49

Quote:
I found a really nice nitrite synth on atomistry:
The Sodium nitrite, NaNO2, is obtained by reducing sodium nitrate with metals such as lead or iron, with sulphur or carbon, or with material containing these substances

Talking about ebay, you could exploit your easy prep. there ─ and, er, cash-in? :cool:

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 08:55

NiCl2 (aq) + 6KNO2 (aq) >> K4Ni(NO2)6*H2O (s) + 2KCl (aq)
Potassium hexanitronickelate
Interesting I wonder if using sodium nitrate with kcl would work

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 09:11

Quote: Originally posted by Σldritch  
Ill try making a alkyl nitrite soon but i have guests now so it will have to wait.
Just use the potassium salts, it's much easier.

In particular, K2HPO4 is much more soluble (140% w/w) than Na2HPO4 (7% w/w), so a saturated solution of the former should precipitate the latter. KHCO3 has this property to a lesser extent.

Salt metathesis is highly underrated, I see.
Σldritch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 09:54

I have a hard time getting potassium salts. The best i can get is 40%KCl 50%NaCl 10%MgSO4 mineral salt. I have had no sucess separating the KCl. I have a little bit of KNO3 left bought from a now closed down store though. Id rather use a small excess of flour.

Im pretty confident that there is not much nitrate in it because if there was the nitrite would have to react faster than the nitrite in the molten mixture. If that was the case almost no nitrite would be formed at all. It makes sense too since nitrate is a stronger oxidizer in these conditions. (Ex. permanganate and ferrate)
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 12:46

They don't sell cream of tartar where you live? Burning this salt gives potash.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 16:13

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
They don't sell cream of tartar where you live? Burning this salt gives potash.

cream of tartar is expensive OTC and burning it would reduce it to even less mass. Not an economical method.

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 14:34

By this method you would be paying about $35/kg for potash with Amazon prices. It's not cheap but considering the costs associated with performing any kind of amateur chemistry it doesn't sound expensive unless you're making silly amounts of nitrites (and for what?). OTOH K2SO4 is available on Amazon for less than $10/kg but maybe he can't buy that.

I'm a bit surprised you couldn't just buy some kind of potassium fertilizer, given it's one of the big three plant minerals. Or you could always do this:

NaNO3 (aq) + KCl (aq) [0 C or lower] >> KNO3 (s) + NaCl (aq)

OP apparently has access to KCl salt replacement so this should work, although it requires redoing the whole process.

[Edited on 1-10-2017 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 1-10-2017 by clearly_not_atara]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 20:18

I'm with Sulaiman on this one. In my world, sodium nitrite is OTC. And easier to obtain than nitrates.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100g-bag-of-Sodium-nitrite-100-Fo...
http://www.melbournefooddepot.com/buy/sodium-nitrite-powder-...

[edit] typo

[Edited on 2-10-2017 by j_sum1]
Σldritch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 22:59
What is OTC varies a lot

I would call something OTC when i can buy without giving my credit card imformation. That includes most stores where i live.

I can buy sodium nitrates in about half of the grocery stores here yet potassium salts are hard to obtain. I think this is intentional as terrorism preventation, i doubt it is very effective though. I have not found any stores that sell sodium nitrite.

Anyway, i dont have a lot of calcium hydroxide which you would need do do this with potassium because of the similar solubility of potassium nitrite and potassium carbonate. If you do not use calcium hydroxide it is more of a tradeoff between carbonate and nitrate impurities.

Mineral salt would probably introduce more impurities than it would help reduce.

Maybe i can titrate it? I tried permangante and ammonium chloride, neither seemed to work very well.

Also i enjoy the challenge of obtaining chemicals i can not buy.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 23:27

You wouldn't find potassium fertilizer in a grocery store. (Neither would I) You have to go somewhere that sells fertilizer. It'd be at a hardware store for me -- the same place that sells tools and paint (Home Depot). They have giant bags marked "Potassium Sulfate" with a K2O percentage marked. You would also see it at a garden supply.

It's really strange to ban potassium because it makes a pretty crappy bomb. It doesn't react and it's heavy which reduces the temperature of mixtures containing it. And it's extremely useful as fertilizer. It's one of the most legitimate chemicals I can think of -- everyone from subsistence farmers to yuppies washing their faces with Dr. Bronner's uses potassium.

But it tastes bitter and it's not a common ingredient in food, so you won't usually see it at the store.
Broken Gears
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 05:54

Quote: Originally posted by brubei  
Sodium Nitrate is commonly sold for ceramic making.

Sodium Nitrite should be easy to find OTC, as it's used in preserving meat.
Any Home-produktion, hunters/butchers shop or DIY beef jerky shop should have it OTC.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 17:56

Isn´t the stuff used for preservation of meat, "curing salt", just like 1% NaNO2 at most, the remainder being NaCl, NaNO3 for the major part?
At least in europe the curing salt contains per law less than one percent, usually.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 23:26

Potassium is just less common than sodium in general, and the salts are correspondingly less common. Interestingly though, plants contain almost no sodium at all, which is why we prefer the taste of sodium salt on our food, and why deer are attracted to salt licks, etc. Humans and other animals NEED sodium in our diets. Plants were able to evolve to not need sodium at all, and instead are able to extract potassium from feldspar (the most common mineral in the world), which binds potassium very tightly, but not sodium. Sodium, on the other hand, has mostly all been leached out of the ground and into the oceans eons ago.

The chemistry of feldspar is pretty neat too. Its name means "not ore" or something like that in German, and it mostly contains silica. Aluminum has a similar atomic radius as silicon, and can fit into a silica matrix, but then it has that missing electron that messes up the matrix. Unless, of course, potassium sits next to it and lends it its extra electron. Then everything works out great, since potassium fits quite well into that matrix too. And it means that terrestrial plants have access to an alkali metal as well, because this planet would be a totally different color if there wasn't one available to them.

Of course, our taste for sodium, combined with the ease of mining it from old dried up seabeds, has meant that we tend to consume it preferentially over potassium. However, it's not actually bad for us and doesn't contain any calories, so there's no reason to stop, as long as we're getting enough of all our other minerals too. Sodium nitrite though, is a whole different story. Even though it's food grade, it's a known carcinogen. However, the FDA has determined that at the very low levels that it's used in meat as a preservative, that the benefits of not getting food poisoning outweigh the (very low) risk of developing cancer from consuming it.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 11:00

Here is a new approach based on my prior attempts (see http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=52&... ) that I will hopefully be able to test soon.

First, as occurs in the case of the metal Aluminum (see, for example, equation (3.7) in a doctoral thesis from 2008, "Alkaline dissolution of aluminum: surface chemistry and subsurface interfacial phenomena", by Saikat Adhikari, link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&...), I would argue similarly with either aluminum or zinc, the creation of the metal hydroxide directly from the metal, proceeds with the release of electrons per the reaction

Al + 3 OH- → Al(OH)3 + 3 e-
Zn + 2 OH- → Zn(OH)2 + 2 e-

Then, a possible reaction in the presence of nitrate, with either prehydrated or totally solvated electrons, being reported as readily scavenged by nitrate:

e(p)-/e(aq)- + NO3- + H2O -> NO2 + 2OH- (Source: see eq. (5) in JAERI-Conf 95-003, "5. 6 Radiolysis of Concentrated Nitric Acid Solutions R. Nagaishi" by P.Y. Jiang, et al, link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&... )

Upon shaking the solution periodically, likely containing NO2 gas, in an atmosphere of pure oxygen also (see below):

2 NO2 + H2O --> HNO2 + HNO3

Implying a net reaction of in the case of Aluminum of aqueous nitrate in an alkaline solution:

2 Al + 3 NO3- + 3 H2O -- 6OH- --> 2 Al(OH)3 + 3 NO2-

Do not use more aluminum then needed. But if in excess, expect:

e(p)-/e(aq)- + NO2- + H2O -> NO + 2OH-

and shaking with O2:

2 NO + O2 --> 2 NO2

-----------------------------------------------

Possible other reaction of interest would be the formation of the superoxide radical anion (from O2 + e-), which could readily react with any formed NO, creating peroxynitrate that would be converted back into nitrate.

I also suspect the reaction may proceed well with NH4NO3.

[Edited on 3-10-2017 by AJKOER]
Σldritch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 12:41

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
Here is a new approach based on my prior attempts (see http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=52&... ) that I will hopefully be able to test soon.

First, as occurs in the case of the metal Aluminum (see, for example, equation (3.7) in a doctoral thesis from 2008, "Alkaline dissolution of aluminum: surface chemistry and subsurface interfacial phenomena", by Saikat Adhikari, link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&...), I would argue similarly with either aluminum or zinc, the creation of the metal hydroxide directly from the metal, proceeds with the release of electrons per the reaction

Al + 3 OH- → Al(OH)3 + 3 e-
Zn + 2 OH- → Zn(OH)2 + 2 e-

Then, a possible reaction in the presence of nitrate, with either prehydrated or totally solvated electrons, being reported as readily scavenged by nitrate:

e(p)-/e(aq)- + NO3- + H2O -> NO2 + 2OH- (Source: see eq. (5) in JAERI-Conf 95-003, "5. 6 Radiolysis of Concentrated Nitric Acid Solutions R. Nagaishi" by P.Y. Jiang, et al, link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&... )

Upon shaking the solution periodically, likely containing NO2 gas, in an atmosphere of pure oxygen also (see below):

Implying a net reaction of in the case of Aluminum of aqueous nitrate in an alkaline solution:

2 Al + 3 NO3- + 3 H2O -- 6OH- --> 2 Al(OH)3 + 3 NO2-

Do not use more aluminum then needed. But if in excess, expect:

e(p)-/e(aq)- + NO2- + H2O -> NO + 2OH-

and shaking with O2:

2 NO + O2 --> 2 NO2

-----------------------------------------------

Possible other reaction of interest would be the formation of the superoxide radical anion (from O2 + e-), which could readily react with any formed NO, creating peroxynitrate that would be converted back into nitrate.

I also suspect the reaction may proceed well with NH4NO3.

[Edited on 3-10-2017 by AJKOER]

I doubt you will get much other than ammonia similar to how you will not get alcohols from clemmensen reduction; the reactant is bonded to the metal surface until it has picked up hydrogen on all its bonds to the metal so the reaction will not stop at nitrite very often.

If you did it without a solvent it would probably just explode so that is not an option though i think chemplayer did something like this and failed in a less dramatic way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9nhdpKhztI&t=1s

I think lead is about the strongest reducing agent that will work. Other reducing agents that work such as polysulfides and carbon are weaker reducing agents and both of them react way too fast without something to slow them down. Maybe it depends on the solubility of lead oxide in sodium nitrate/nitrite too. I doubt aluminium oxide is very soluble but zinc oxide might be.

Then there is this too, i do not know how he/she did the nitrite test but supposedly there is a lot of nitrite in it. NOt sure if if was a commercial test solution or the ferrous sulfate test though. If it was the ferrous sulfate test than there was not a lot of nitrite it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sgd1wjpywc

If you really want to use a metal then i think you should look for one less reducing like bismuth.
argyrium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 13:18

Am I the only one who spotted this error in the original post - or am I in error?

"Then i thought i would neutralize the residual sodium hydroxide so i added sodium bicarbonate repeated the filtering again. I really should have thought about that earlier but oh well."

??
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  16

Go To Top