Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uses of Arenes
praseodym
Hazard to Others

Mood: crazy

[*] posted on 30-1-2006 at 07:21
Uses of Arenes

I dont know if a thread about this existed but anyway, i was recently reading up on arenes but I couldnt find any practical uses of arenes.

So I hope that someone here who have worked with arenes provide me with some practical uses of arenes. Btw anyone who knows anything about arenes can just add on to this thread. Thanks...
a123x
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-1-2006 at 16:08

Are you sure you read something about arenes? Are you sure it wasn't nothing?

Arene is another term for aromatic hydrocarbon so essentially anything with a benzene ring in it has arene functionality. It's an incredibly broad category of compounds. It tooke about 1 minute of searching on wikipedia to find some uses of benzene.
praseodym
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 08:10

I have read that page but obviously the uses stated on that site is not enough. It gives more or less only the uses of benzene but not that of its compounds. And yes, I have read something about arenes. Thanks for the reply anyway, however, I believe that it would be more helpful if you provide some links for me to refer to.
runlabrun
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 15:17

O...K.....

Where to start? Arenes like a123x said is any aromatic compound, so anything with a benzene ring in it... so uses are solvents, some olfactory agents (smells), oh dont forget some amino acids and therefore proteins (required for life, kinda handy). So you want to know more? try being a bit more specific instead of asking something so broad. What do you want to know?

-rlr
a123x
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 18:43

Solvents
Adhesives
Pesticides
Flavorings
Scents
Pharmaceuticals
Polymers
Explosives
Ph Indicators

See how broad the uses are?
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 20:47

I stand in muted stupefaction at how praseodym could have missed all of these uses. :o

Tell you what: we stop talking about "arenes" from this point on and let us speak instead of "aromatic hydrocarbons" 'no? :D

Oh, for those not in the know: some of the aromatic hydrocarbons are potent carcinogens, especially the polycyclic ones. ;)

sparky (~_~)

[Edited on 6-2-2006 by sparkgap]

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
praseodym
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:21

I wouldnt say i hav missed all of the uses, just that i believe that what i know is quite limited. Therefore, i was hoping that someone could add on to what i know.

Currently, i only know that:
Toluene is being used as an octane booster in fuel, as a solvent in paints, paint thinners, rubber, printing, adhesives, lacquers, leather tanning, disinfectants, and to produce phenol and TNT.
Xylene is being used as a solvent and in printing, rubber, and leather as well as a cleaning agent, a pesticide, a thinner for paint, and in paints and varnishes.
Aniline is being used in dyestuffs.
Acetylsalicyclic acid is being used as aspirin.
Benzoic acid is being used in food preservative, artificial flavours and insect repellants.
Paracetamol is being used in tablets.
Phenol is being used in antiseptics and anasthetics.
Picric acid is being used as explosives.
Anthracene is being used in the artificial production of the red dye alizarin, wood preservatives, insecticides, and coating materials.
Naphthalene is being used in mothballs.

Yup, thats all i know so i hope that you people can provide more information on the uses of aromatic hydrocarbons (since sparkgap prefer this to "arenes").
NERV
Hazard to Others

Mood: Fluorinated

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 08:06

The uses and application of aromatic hydrocarbons is so broad that I don’t think the people on this board have enough time or knowledge to even begin to list all of the aromatic hydrocarbons, and there uses.

Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.

Go To Top