Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Superconductors and magnetism
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 24-6-2006 at 11:31

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerro
Is it likely that these are all manifestations of a single effect yet to be discovered?

Yeah, the Grand Unified Field Theory.

Which so far hasn't worked... :P

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
cbfull
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-6-2006 at 12:16

I thought that string theory was showing promise to finally tie (pun) it all together? I want to say that I remember seeing a documentary on quanta, superstrings and such, which claimed that physicists around the world were laughing at the concept of space being made of "invisible" strings that stretch in an infinite number of directions, and ties everything in the universe together.

I am a chemical engineer so my thoughts on the matter are purely a result of my passion for clearer visualizations. I personally have no problem visualizing the universe being made only of infinitesimal strings, waves in the strings (light) and "tangles" in the strings (particles). And in my visualization, the explanation for the force of gravity becomes painfully simple. I'll share it only if anyone is really interested. I would be crushed if I missed something obvious that blew my theory out of the water.

I am new here so I want to be sure I am not stepping on any toes by posting my own ideas in the matter, without any real credentials to back them up.
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 24-6-2006 at 13:10

Little progress has been made with string theory. So far it's been a mathematical stretch, with nothing new and measurable, thus no predictions. They've been saying for 30 years, "another 30 years and we'll have it". So another 30 years, eh? Riiight :P

Tim

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
cbfull
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-6-2006 at 17:09

I wonder if it could be because string theory requires very little mathematical foundation and works so well conceptually. It's almost as though it mocks the mathematics that have been the meat of the entire academic subject, and many very educated people have spent lifetimes trying to build mathematical models.

I personally do not deal well with math, even though I have been through a gammut of math courses. That's a big reason I like the concept of string theory.

[Edited on 26-6-2006 by cbfull]
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 25-6-2006 at 17:15

Quote:
Little progress has been made with string theory. So far it's been a mathematical stretch, with nothing new and measurable, thus no predictions.

Not so. Why do you think these high energy particle accelerators are made? It's not even a mathematical stretch. It represents the best solution(s) for what we currently know. The problem is, it has so many solutions that no one knows what the correct one is.

Quote:

I wonder if it could be because string theory requires very little mathematical foundation and works so well conceptually.

Haha, unless this is some concocted way of sarcasm, but I hate to point out to you that the REVERSE is true. Unlike the theory of relativity, which works conceptually like a charm, string theory doesn't, not at all. Or do you think 11-dimensional spaces are easy to grasp, with dimensions at the plank length, and space, and time?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 25-6-2006 at 17:16

Eh?

Multidimensional spaces aren't real pretty.

Better than a Hilbert space could be I suppose, but still...

Honestly, if it were as easy as you state (I would estimate, vector calculus as the highest toolset needed), explanations would be all over. But they aren't. Instead you've got ugly hand-wavey things like trying to explain and imagine how seven or ten dimensions would behave to a three or four dimensional person.

Tim

cbfull
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-6-2006 at 18:42

Good point. I actually stated that in a very weird way. It makes perfect sense that string theory makes the whole universe a complete mathematical nightmare, yet it seems so easy to conceptualize. It defies logic, i.e. it is amazingly simple as a concept, yet seems so incredibly impossible to articulate in a mathematical language. Mathmeticians/physicists don't like that one bit. I don't feel sorry for them, I am not a fan of math.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-12-2007 at 21:45

Physics of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials
K. H. J. Buschow , F. R. de Boer
http://rapidshare.com/files/55642959/0078150907.rar
Password = physicsbooks.info

Abstract
In this book, the fundamentals of magnetism are treated, starting at an introductory level.
The origin of magnetic moments, the response to an applied magnetic field, and the various
interactions giving rise to different types of magnetic ordering in solids are presented and
many examples are given. Crystalline-electric-field effects are treated at a level that is
sufficient to provide the basic knowledge necessary in understanding the properties of
materials in which these effects play a role. Itinerant-electron magnetism is presented on a
similar basis. Particular attention has been given to magnetocrystalline magnetic anisotropy
and the magnetocaloric effect. Also, the usual techniques for magnetic measurements are
presented. About half of the book is devoted to magnetic materials and the properties that
make them suitable for numerous applications. The state of the art is presented of
permanent magnets, high-density recording materials, soft-magnetic materials, Invar alloys
and magnetostrictive materials. Many references are given.

PhysMagMat.jpg - 12kB
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 24-12-2007 at 20:55

For those of you who are interested in the superstring theory I would reccomend Brian Greene's book "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory. It starts out very simple and builds very nicely on explaining the fundamentals of string theory. I loved the book and found it very fascinating. I also found that the super string theory is more focused on subatomic strings and their relation to the Plank "foam".

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2007 at 00:13

That book is available as a DJVU and as an HTML ebook. I think I downloaded it from www.eknigu.ru or similar in April. If it cannot be found by searching there or on Google or gigapedia.org, I could upload it.
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 25-12-2007 at 05:16

Particle accelerators are not built to test string theories. One I did my PhD on at Cern discovered the Z-boson (electroweak mediator) and recently signs of the top quark (though no one in their right mind really believed in top-less models). Standard theory however still has a huge hole in it - the Higgs boson, without which the the electroweak sector falls down. Much experimentation is to find that, they were looking for it 20 years, ago and are still now. Another key aspect is evidence for supersymmetry - there isnt any. These are two huge problems in currently known theory before we even get to strings.

String theory has made a lot of progress mathematically - theories can now be classified a lot better. Trouble is it all predicts supersymmetry, the electron is meant to have a mirror particle (not the antiparticle), and so do all elementary particles. Of course you could adjust their masses to infinity so you never see them but a theory without predictions is what ocams razor is meant for. Basically as someone whose name escapes me said, 'superstrings makes not a single experimental prediction and theres no single experiment known that can disporve it'.

Its in fact in the realm of maths now not of physics in the traditional sense of the word. And its reason for existance - standard model QED, QCD blows up and requires renormalisation (swallowing up of singularities) due to short distance behaviour of local theories, with quantum gravity the divergence in the theory cant even be normaised, so if we smear the particle over space (a string) the interaction wont be so singular. Yes thats true, but it doesnt appear to predict anything physical either.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top