Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Broken three way adapter
Keith Fletcher
Harmless

Mood: Brittle

sad.gif posted on 10-12-2014 at 08:59
Broken three way adapter

When I was attempting to remove the three way adapter from my boiling flask it snapped and left the joint stuck inside the flask. Dose anyone have a good way to remove it without damaging the flask?
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 09:23

Try to apply gentle heat to the outside of the joint, tap the sides with a wooden stick or something. Is the joint greased? If not, I've actually had luck with adding a little bit of water to the joint.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 09:37

First thing to try, use the search engine! You are not the first-

Second thing, I personally would soak the joint in carbonated water for about 5-10 minutes.

Third thing, CAREFULLY and UNIFORMLY heat the OUTSIDE OF THE JOINT using a blow dryer, warm water or possibly a heat gun- NOT a torch.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 10:20

If you can find a dent puller (puller removal hammer, etc) type device, you want to hook it onto the broken off piece and then use the slide hammer to pull on it hard. That way the broken off piece will be pulled loose, rather than getting pushed in harder. But having had many problems like that, only about 1 in 2 were fixed in a happy way, the other half of the time, the rest, I simple broke the flask neck as well. But I get about half to come apart with heat, water, or a sharp blow from the back of the broken piece (dent puller)

Aga has a nice link below to the two types of devices that I have seen used before. The bottom thing they made is like a slide hammer, but the slide hammer is all in one piece. But be careful when doing any of this type work, as glass breaks often when trying to un-stick things, and I have seen a few people cut themselves when trying to pull items apart. Wear leather gloves or other protective attire and safety glasses.

[Edited on 11-12-2014 by Dr.Bob]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 11:12

This has never happened to me yet, however i think it's time for a bit of equipment designed to pull ground glass stuff apart without breaking.

Edit:

Already been done :

http://www.ilpi.com/glassblowing/frozenglass.html

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by aga]

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 09:05

Glycerol is excellent for this purpose. If left in contact with the frozen joint (for a week, or more) the glycerol will slowly seep in between the frozen joints and provide sufficient lubrication to simply pull the piece out. One can see it starting to penetrate by the first day, but it is a slow process and patience/forgetfulness is required, but it works extremely well.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 18:14

I try sonication with a mild soap solution first but you need a device like aga's if you broke it off flush or can't get a purchase on it from above. Good luck! When ST joints aren't perfectly matched this kind of thing happens more often. Carbonated water works like sonication but seems to take more time.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

Mood: Free

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 13:06

A little heat, small amount of parafin oil, and an ol' fashion fishing hook........ :cool:
Keith Fletcher
Harmless

Mood: Brittle

smile.gif posted on 13-12-2014 at 21:41
Update success

I tryed soking it in oil and then soap water, but it still wouldent come out so i carfully smashed it out with a hamer and screwdriver with no damage to the flask.

SAM_3934.JPG - 1.4MB SAM_3935.JPG - 1.8MB SAM_3933.JPG - 1.9MB
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 23:06

Well there ya go, I guess the good ol' smash it up with a hammer method will work too.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top