Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  14
Author: Subject: The lead salts preparation thread!
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 3-11-2011 at 15:23

I'd imagine that chlorine hydrate can be made to react with anything.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 03:56

Is 'anything' not a bit too broad? Certain metals will not be attacked appreciably, others so slowly it isn't a practical method.

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 04:00

Has anyone tried to make very pure lead from the salts obtained? For example, a nice lead plate using electrolysis, for element collection.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 06:49

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
Has anyone tried to make very pure lead from the salts obtained? For example, a nice lead plate using electrolysis, for element collection.

I made lead by electrolysing molten PbCl2 with copper electrodes when I was about 16 but I've no idea how pure it was.

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 11:49

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Is 'anything' not a bit too broad? Certain metals will not be attacked appreciably, others so slowly it isn't a practical method.

Obviously "made to react" is a small, off-topic comment, (I could have added that I also found PbSO4 in quite small crystals covering the electrodes of a very much dying battery, but this was already pointed out) which does not exactly mean adding water to chlorine hydrate, nor was I speaking of some practical amazing all-inclusive method for dissolving every substance known despite the use of anything. It was an attempt to point out that chlorine and water can be concentrated.

It is already known that no one appreciates brevity and hidden layers of meaning.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 13:52

You're just to clever by half... ;)

sxl168
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 07:26

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  

For most of my purposes, I don't really need purity, however if I do, I will get Lead dissolved in solution and add a sulfate to the solution to precip. PbSO4. Hot solutions speed this up a lot and produce larger particles. There are very few insoluble sulfate salts, so you should have rather pure PbSO4 after thorough washing. I do believe that BaSO4 is used in small quantities in batteries for seed crystal sites and so that would be the main contaminate. Do note that if sodium is present in moderate or high concentration, this will not work as PbSO4 is soluble in said solutions. From PbSO4 use Sodium Carbonate or Bicarbonate to convert it to PbCO3. From there you can turn it into the product of your choice.

As for plating out Lead, I've done that but I don't know of its purity and it also forms as a loose sponge mass/dendrites that is probably >90% electrolyte. Takes a while to flush out all the electrolyte and dry it before melting. I'm not aware of any method that produces compact deposits outside of a Fluroborate electrolyte. I'd definitely like to know if anyone has gotten a compact deposit besides the use of a Fluroborate electrolyte.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 13:53

Quote: Originally posted by sxl168  
........... Do note that if sodium is present in moderate or high concentration, this will not work as PbSO4 is soluble in said solutions. From PbSO4 use Sodium Carbonate or Bicarbonate to convert it to PbCO3. ....................

Are you saying that Lead Sulphate is soluble in a solution of Sodium Sulphate?

That does not make sense to me.

Dann2
sxl168
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 08:58

My bad for not proofreading before posting. Meant Sodium Chloride there.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 06:32

Interesting method using sugar to dissolve Lead Acid battery parts here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20175

Lead Nitrate can be prepared with Ammonium Nitrate + Litharge (PbO). The PbO is added to a solution of AN and boiled whereby the Ammonia goes away and Lead Nitrate is left.
This was suggested by Plante1999.
PbO can be obtained from battery PbO2 by calcining (heating strongly) (Plante1999)

Dann2

[Edited on 31-5-2012 by dann2]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 06:44

Quote: Originally posted by dann2  

Interesting method using sugar to dissolve Lead Acid battery parts here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20175

Lead Nitrate can be prepared with Ammonium Nitrate + Litharge (PbO). The PbO is added to a solution of AN and boiled whereby the Ammonia goes away and Lead Nitrate is left.

Dann2

Thanks. I've been meaning to try that!

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 08:45

Quote: Originally posted by dann2  

Dann2

I just make this process yesterday, and posted it in PbO2 anode thread this morning, few hour later the process is already in lead salt thread... Please give your reference next time (the reference is me).

I never asked for this.
MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fizzing

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 11:32

Quote: Originally posted by garage chemist  

PbO2, lead dioxide, is very easily made by electrolyzing 20% H2SO4 with two lead electrodes. At the cathode hydrogen is evolved, at the anode PbO2 is formed as a dark brown powder.
The electrolysis can be continued until the entire anode is converted into PbO2. The PbO2 is isolated by filtering the solution, washing and drying the PbO2.

PbO2 is a powerful oxidiser, capable of forming very energetic pyrotechnic mixes, especially with powdered metals.

Excellent method ...Ill need to try this one........I did have some nice chocolate brown Lead (IV) Oxide from and old accumulator, but this sounds a nice reaction.

Ammonium Chloro Plumbate (NH4)2.PbCl6
Adding PbO2 to ICE COOLED concentrated about (30% ish) HCl, PBO2 dissolves without oxidising the HCl to , to form a lead tetra chloride ligand. PbCL4 -2.

If I remember, the solution turns a yellow colour, but if the temp rises the PbCl2 will crystallize, and the unstable-ish ligand releases chlorine....

I think I remember reading that addition of ammonia/ammonium chloride to the ice cooled, Pb Cl4 complex should precipitate out ammonium chloro Plumbate.

PbO2 + 4HCL ----> PbCl4 + H20

PbCL4 + 2Cl- ------> PbCl6 -2

then

2NH4+ ----> PbCl6 -2 -------> (NH4)2.PbCl6

Says if this is added to ice cool H2SO4 then PbCL4 as a heavy yellow oil, hydrolysed with H2O......
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 12:04

Your method is correct, MR A. The PbO2 must be freshly prepared though. (NH4)2PbCl6 is yellow. (NH4)2SnCl6 also exists.

MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 12:12

The PBO2 I used was from the mesh on an old accumulator, which may have been contaminated with sulphates.

Ive found a big lump of lead sheet I found years ago, ( about 3mm thick and about 40 by 30 cm.
I going to try electrolysing the H2SO4 with Pb electrodes, to see how much PbO2 I can get........

Dont know what fun can be had with the ammonium chloro plumbate yet.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 13:15

Quote: Originally posted by MR AZIDE  

Dont know what fun can be had with the ammonium chloro plumbate yet.

Not much. As you wrote, with cold (IIRW), dry, concentrated sulphuric a dark oil of PbCl4 separates out.

MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 15:21

I HAVE just electrolyzed a strong NaCl solution with 2 lead electrodes, in a 100 ml beaker.

Using a MOT Tx in reverse, so the supply is 24 V.

Now, PbOH is supposed to be produced which is white, but at first, chlorine gas was being emmited, and the solution quickly has turned orange, then a dark brown precipitate has formed, which is settling at bottom of cell.

IS this precipitate likely to be Lead(IV) Oxide, or is it possible that it is a Lead Chlorate, is the Cl gas was mixing with the solution.? What colour are the LEad chlorate's,? Im assuming they are insoluble.

The elecrolysis, has now after a few mins, stopped producing any Cl gas, the Cathode still fizzing away.., and Now white PbOH is being formed at anode, with no gas evolution.
The current is falling due to the inhibition of the insolubility of the coating of Pb(OH)2,
IF the anode is wiped clean, the current is aver 2 Amp but drops to aony about 40mA.

Question is, why is the brown precip, now not happening, and its Pb(OH)2 .??

Its now disconnected, I think Ill repeat this tommorrow in a U-tube to keep the elecrtodes separate, and see what happens.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 05:54

I HAVE just electrolyzed a strong NaCl solution with 2 lead electrodes, in a 100 ml beaker.

Using a MOT Tx in reverse, so the supply is 24 V.

Now, PbOH is supposed to be produced which is white, but at first, chlorine gas was being emmited, and the solution quickly has turned orange, then a dark brown precipitate has formed, which is settling at bottom of cell.

IS this precipitate likely to be Lead(IV) Oxide, or is it possible that it is a Lead Chlorate, is the Cl gas was mixing with the solution.? What colour are the LEad chlorate's,? Im assuming they are insoluble.

The elecrolysis, has now after a few mins, stopped producing any Cl gas, the Cathode still fizzing away.., and Now white PbOH is being formed at anode, with no gas evolution.
The current is falling due to the inhibition of the insolubility of the coating of Pb(OH)2,
IF the anode is wiped clean, the current is aver 2 Amp but drops to aony about 40mA.

Question is, why is the brown precip, now not happening, and its Pb(OH)2 .??

Its now disconnected, I think Ill repeat this tommorrow in a U-tube to keep the elecrtodes separate, and see what happens.

Did you mean Pb(OH)2? The precipitate is PbO2. Lead chlorate would be white, I'm quite sure of it.

MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 10:10

had a bit of difficulty in looking up lead chlorates/ perchlorates, but they are freely soluble in water.

I think what happened is the NACL was concentrated enough, that Pb(OH)2 was formed, and immediately reacted with the Cl gas, maybe changing the Pb(OH)2 to PBO2 .
I ve thrown it away now anyway.

I had much more interesting results electrolysing some HCL with Pb electrodes today, which I may post in the technochemistry bit.

here www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20284

[Edited on 1-6-2012 by MR AZIDE]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 12:58

I think what happened is the NACL was concentrated enough, that Pb(OH)2 was formed, and immediately reacted with the Cl gas, maybe changing the Pb(OH)2 to PBO2 .
I ve thrown it away now anyway.

[Edited on 1-6-2012 by MR AZIDE]

Check the half-potentials to see if:

Pb<sup>2+</sup> + Cl<sub>2</sub> === > Pb<sup>4+</sup> + 2 Cl<sup>-</sup>

... is possible. Dunno off the top of my head, TBH...

Edit: I checked. This oxidation appears not to be thermodynamically favourable, chlorine isn't strong enough. But hypochlorite is and some of that may have formed with your electrolysis.

[Edited on 1-6-2012 by blogfast25]

MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 10:21

as long as the Cl2 gas was liberated , the probable Pbo2 was produced, as definately hypochlorite will be being produced.......this oxidised the lead to from +2 to +4, .......

PbO2, Ive just read can be produced by shaking a solution of a hypochlorite with a suspension of Pb(OH)2 in water.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 10:29

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Check the half-potentials to see if:

Pb<sup>2+</sup> + Cl<sub>2</sub> === > Pb<sup>4+</sup> + 2 Cl<sup>-</sup>

... is possible. Dunno off the top of my head, TBH...

Edit: I checked. This oxidation appears not to be thermodynamically favourable, chlorine isn't strong enough. But hypochlorite is and some of that may have formed with your electrolysis.

I had a paper on producing Pb(AcO)<sub>4</sub> from Pb<sub>3</sub>O<sub>4</sub>, acetic acid and acetic anhydride. The yield could be maximized by oxidizing the remaining Pb<sup>2+</sup> with chlorine gas IIRC.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 10:46

PbO2, Ive just read can be produced by shaking a solution of a hypochlorite with a suspension of Pb(OH)2 in water.

No need for shaking ;), see the other thread on battery lead and my results. Hypochlorite easily oxidises Pb(OH)2 to PbO2.

[Edited on 2-6-2012 by blogfast25]

MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 11:24

I see your source of NAOCl, was bleach.......is this like the cheap stuff you can buy in supermarkets.?

Ive seen like the cheap own brand stuff in the supermarket, and I read the labels just says '' contains sodium hypochlorite'', but it never says what concentration the sodium hypochlorite is.
Ive never got round to buying any to play with.

are most of these thick /thin bleaches( as they call it,) basically NaOCl in plain water?,,,, are there many additives........is the solution colorless of slightly yellow?

If so Id like to try at some point making KClO3 via nurdrage's method........

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 12:10

I see your source of NAOCl, was bleach.......is this like the cheap stuff you can buy in supermarkets.?

Ive seen like the cheap own brand stuff in the supermarket, and I read the labels just says '' contains sodium hypochlorite'', but it never says what concentration the sodium hypochlorite is.
Ive never got round to buying any to play with.

are most of these thick /thin bleaches( as they call it,) basically NaOCl in plain water?,,,, are there many additives........is the solution colorless of slightly yellow?

If so Id like to try at some point making KClO3 via nurdrage's method........

Get 'no frills' thin bleach: 4 - 5 % NaClO (sodium hypochlorite). Weak concentration, strong oxidiser. Ca(ClO)2 ('pool shock') is 100 % (solid) but harder to get.

Thick = thin + glycerine. Avoid!

Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  14

Go To Top