Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: cyclopentanone
taffy
Harmless

Mood: organometallic

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 19:38

100g tech. grade adipic acid was agitated in a 250ml RB flask in an aluminum foil bath with 10g tech. 99% calcium hydroxide for several minutes and then dry distilled for several hours until the still head temp. had began began to stabilize at approx. 160C. After the temp began to drop below 100C and the distillation appeared to stop the heating was ceased.

The distillate consisted of a biphasic liquid: a pale yellow transparent peppermint-scented upper phase, and a small aq. phase. The distillate was treated with a small amount of saturated aq. K2CO3, and the organic phase seperated. This was repeated until CO2 evolution had ceased. The crude ketone was dried over K2CO3, and then redistilled collecting the fraction at approx. 130C. Yield: 28g ketone.

...I believe the remaining large rock of solids in the distilling flask can be further distilled (most of the flask volume appeared to be only slightly decreased). I think I stopped too early. In any case, I'll report back if any further ketone can be recovered.

[Edited on 10-3-2015 by taffy]
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 14-3-2015 at 19:48

What is the use of cyclopentanone? Nice smell?

Would poly(valerolactone) be nice for demonstration purposes on video? δ-valerolactone could be made from cyclopentanone with a Reimer-Tiemann reaction.

[Complementing question]

[Edited on 15-3-2015 by NexusDNA]

Bromine, definitely bromine.
taffy
Harmless

Mood: organometallic

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 20:56

In regards to my previous post, no further ketone could be recovered from the boiling flask and the final yield after a redistillation of the distillate was 28g(bp. ~130C) of a clear, transparent peppermint scented liquid...slightly sol. in water.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top