Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Isobutyl Nitrite
hvinh
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 20:28

yes, the acid sulfuric that i have is marketed as "drain cleaner". I should not use it then, since my lungs are precious!

Thanks
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 10-8-2011 at 04:56

Good choice, the "fixers and corrosion inhibitors" could easily contaminate the alkyl nitrite. 98% sulfuric acid can easily be obtained from ebay, elemental scientific, biodiesel companies, etc.

Good luck! :cool:

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
hvinh
Harmless

smile.gif posted on 10-8-2011 at 05:21

Hi Redox

I would like to ask you one more question.. Is the fume going to be very bad.. I know that ventilation is necessary and will keep the reactions at a low temperature as I can and will only do synthesis with a small amount of chemicals..

Thanks for helping :)
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-8-2011 at 15:43

Quote: Originally posted by hvinh  
Hi Redox

I would like to ask you one more question.. Is the fume going to be very bad.. I know that ventilation is necessary and will keep the reactions at a low temperature as I can and will only do synthesis with a small amount of chemicals..

Thanks for helping :)

I performed the synthesis in a fume hood, but it probably wasn't really necessary. As long as the reaction is run at ICE COLD temperatures, you'll be fine. Also, you may want to do it outside, just so you aren't overwhelmed in case you add the acid (or alcohol) too quickly.

What scale were you considering? 10 grams? 1000 grams?
The higher the scale, the more careful you need to be in cooling and addition.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 11-8-2011 at 14:08

Quote: Originally posted by Maja  
I have one more question... There is some stabilizer for R-Nitrites ? I have googled a little bit ,but did not find anything. Please share your knowledge.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15605#...

I think we need to search what stabilizers used in commercial Nitrites ,but I didn't found anything named.

[Edited on 13-5-2006 by Maja]

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?lang=en...

And by god, I feel ashamed for feeding this tread, since there is a existing one with virtually the same name.

Perhaps they should be merged....

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2011 at 15:03

Maja posted that question before the other isobutyl nitrite thread was conceived.

[Edited on 11-8-2011 by redox]

bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 11-8-2011 at 15:46

My bad for not noticing that.., now I really feel ashamed.....

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2011 at 15:54

No worries mate! Maja's last post was 5 months ago, he'll probably never see your little blunder.

hvinh
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2011 at 20:17

Hi Redox

Ok. I will do it in the back yard then. And I will do it just a little bit at a time.. may be 10 gram.. not 1000 :-)

I will start ordering the ingredient sometimes next month.. after all the research.

Thanks, bro!
sonottawa
Harmless

Mood: nothing

[*] posted on 16-8-2011 at 13:37

Thanks Douchermann !

I just made the solution of Amyl Nitrite (I hope so) by using your formula above:

Beaker A:
-95 mls of d-H2O
-24 grs of NaNO2
Beaker B:
-7 mls of d-H2O
-9 mls of H2SO4
-29 mls of IPA

After using a separatory funnel to get the top layer, I’ve dried the solution with hot – dried bicarbonate and then store it in a dark glass container.

I also took a little bit of the solution and ignition it to see the blue-white fire as the final test. But I’d like to know if there is any other test of impurity of Amyl Nitrite ? Because I’ve never use poppers before, so I can’t tell if I really get the real Amyl nitrite or not.

National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 16-8-2011 at 14:03

You're definitely not going to get amyl nitrite by using IPA... they get much crappier as you go to fewer carbons. Even the amyl chain makes an only mildly interesting compound.
Isopropyl nitrite will show you very quickly how fun methemoglobinemia is.
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-8-2011 at 14:09

Quote: Originally posted by 497  
You're definitely not going to get amyl nitrite by using IPA... they get much crappier as you go to fewer carbons. Even the amyl chain makes an only mildly interesting compound.

I think he may be referring to IsoPentyl Alcohol.

sonottawa- IPA is usually reserved for isopropyl alcohol.

sonottawa
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-8-2011 at 22:42

Quote: Originally posted by redox  

Yes, I did used the IPA - Isopropyl Alcohol: (CH3)2CHOH to perform the reaction following the synthesis found on Google.

As I'm kinda newbie in this underground chemist level, so I have few questions about it:

1. I didn't realize that there is a different between the 2 solvents. Please give me more advices !

2. So what is the solution that I've got after all ?

3. To make a real QUICK RUSH poppers, which is the right solvent that I need to have (isopropyl alcohol/isobutyl alcohol/...) ?

Thanks for all
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 05:35

Quote: Originally posted by sonottawa  
3. To make a real QUICK RUSH poppers
This forum frowns upon handing out recipes to drug cooks, even when the drugs are legal in jurisdiction, more because this forum is about science. Do you have a scientific question here? Do you have any scientific interest here, even? Everybody starts somewhere, and you're right at the beginning.
redox
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 05:42

Quote: Originally posted by redox  

Yes, I did used the IPA - Isopropyl Alcohol: (CH3)2CHOH to perform the reaction following the synthesis found on Google.

As I'm kinda newbie in this underground chemist level, so I have few questions about it:

1. I didn't realize that there is a different between the 2 solvents. Please give me more advices !

2. So what is the solution that I've got after all ?

3. To make a real QUICK RUSH poppers, which is the right solvent that I need to have (isopropyl alcohol/isobutyl alcohol/...) ?

Thanks for all

1. Isopropyl alcohol is CH3CH3CHOH. Isopentyl (isoamyl) alcohol is CH3CH3CHCH2CH2OH.

2. If you used IPA (referring to isopropyl alcohol), then your product was isopropyl nitrite.

3. I would assume a more volatile alkyl nitrite would be more potent, so for a quick rush popper use isopropyl alcohol.

Don't hurt yourself.

[Edited on 24-8-2011 by redox]

sonottawa
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 10:18
Thanks a lot, Redox...

Thanks for your quick reply.

In conclusion, I've confused between the 2 solvents which is has similar name (tomato / potato, hehe, for me, anyways). And I end up with Isopropyl nitrite, not related to any of the Alkyl nitrite's (QUICK Rush) family, even it does have the same last name "Alcohol" .

But still, I'm curious about it and need more explanations, 'cause I don't have a teacher or anyone nearby that I can get answer from, so thanks in advance to whom will spend time to read & answer to this new student pain-in-tha-ass

1. Could anyone give me a reason why they don't use Isopropyl nitrite as a drug recreation as Alkyl's ?

2. If ppl consume my product, what could it be the feeling or it's just like a poisonous solution ?

3. Can we use it in another reason, different than "drug recreation" purpose ?

4. What is the real role of Isobutyl alcohol/Methanol (if we can call them all as a "denatured alcohol") in the whole process of the synthesis ?

5. If we couldn't find any of the solvents named above, what will it be the replacement ? (just thinking if we can use the Vodka with the flavor to replace it, it will give a different odor, for example)

6. How could we test the final solution, just to make sure that is exactly what we're looking for ?

Thanks,

[Edited on 24-8-2011 by sonottawa]
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 10:28

2. If ppl consume my product, what could it be the feeling or it's just like a poisonous solution ?

[Edited on 24-8-2011 by sonottawa]

More than likely this is what will happen. Oxides of nitrogen are not good for return business.

Making chemicals in your lab for 'ppl' to consume is not a good idea unless you have experience, proper technique, and the ability to assure the safety of your product. I don't want to sound mean, but I don't think you have any of these.

Quote:
sonottawa says; "I ain't a chemist and just have a limited background of chemistry stuff"

Good luck in your endeavor, and please be safe.:)

[Edited on 24-8-2011 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
sonottawa
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2011 at 21:12

I really appreciate for ur advices.

In the other hand, I did realize how is the important of safety and healthy for someone whom will uses my product.

But one thing for sure, myself will be the 1st one to try my own product before give it away to my friends. That's why I keep searching and try to get more experiences from others in this 4room.

But I really really need to success this time & as ppl says:"There’s a will, there’s a way" so I ain't sad or intend to "retreat" 'cause of the judgments after all.

One of the reasons why I decided to put my feet deep in this "career of chemist",

- I'm curious and really enjoy working in my mini home lab, to see how cool are the chemicals react, and get so excited while getting the correct solution as the final answer.

- And of course for making money by my way, even thought I could easily obtain the all-ready-made stuffs and sale it to other dealers. So it's more for my survivor things than just having fun + free time to play around with my safety short life.

Thanks for all,
spyentist
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 10:28
help?

as 'sonottawa' had posted, stumbled on a similar recipe:
Beaker A:
-95 mls of d-H2O
-24 grs of NaNO2
Beaker B:
-7 mls of d-H2O
-9 mls of H2SO4
-29 mls of IPA (except i am planning on using iso butyl alcohol)

the questions i have are related to process. i don't have much equipment so i don't have a burette or separator funnel.
can i do this by simply pouring it in slowly and stirring continuously?

also, i was told to 'dry' it with MgSO4 and i assume that means mix together and drain off? is that right? most humbly, when in the process and what exactly am i looking for as the desired product to separate from the solution? i assume the 'drying' occurs after separating the isobutyle nitrite form solution.

lastly, how volatile is this process and what would be the danger in doubling the quantities? is it the nox gases that are the risks and not some explosive reaction?

i apologize in advance for my naivete but if not here, where, right? -grin.
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 13:14

I think we need to search what stabilizers used in commercial Nitrites ,but I didn't found anything named.

[Edited on 13-5-2006 by Maja]

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?lang=en...

this product is no longer available
but i see that 2% sodium carbonate was used in it as a stabilizer does that mean it can be used in the synthesis of the product to which this thread is dedicated to as a stabalizer as well since this to is a nitrite?

Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 16:43

Just found a youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygAxh81WaWg
http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/eleusis/nitr...

[Edited on 2-10-2011 by Steve_hi]

MAKING POPPERS

Iso-amyl nitrite is the ester formed from the chemical reaction of isoamyl alcohol and nitrous acid. The chemical synthesis is as follows:

Commercial grade isoamyl alcohol is combined with an aqueous solution of sodium nitrate sufficient to produce about 20% excess nitrous acid. While stirring slowly, a 1:3 aqueous dilution of sulfuric acid is gradually added to the mixture. The sulfuric acid reacts with the sodium nitrate to generate nitrous acid. The distinct odor of amyl alcohol disappears when the chemical reaction has proceeded to completion. As long as any odor lingers, there remains some unreacted amyl alcohol, and some more sodium nitrate and sulfuric acid should be added. After allowing the liquid phases to separate, the upper, non-aqueous layer of amyl nitrite is washed with a cold solution of sodium carbonate to absorb the water held by the ester. The portion which distills over 95° and 100°C is medicinally pure isoamyl nitrite.

Adapted from Remington's Practice of Pharmacy, Third Edition, 1894

Isobutyl nitrite is produced following the indentical procedure, substituting isobutyl alcohol for the isoamyl alcohol.

http://pediaview.com/openpedia/Amyl_nitrite

Bitburger
Harmless

Mood: Experimental

[*] posted on 26-10-2011 at 06:17

Is this actually a esterification or rather a substitution reaction, where the hydrogen of the -OH function is replaced by the nitrosyl group?

I think that butyl nitrite (or (oxy)nitrosobutane in the case of substitution) is a useful reagent to make a variety of nitroso-compounds. I think that it can decompose in the stomache since HCl is present there. Carcinogenic nitrosoamines are thus formed in the presence of secundairy amines. I know that amyl nitrite is popular in the gay scene to open your ass and make bottom sex less painful. But it's just mess and may cause cancer.

Maybe other nitroso compounds might be formed, like the reaction between R-MgX + R'-ONO which might give rise to nitrosobutane?

Good to be wrong
scorpio4191
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-11-2013 at 08:00

I have a quick question, can Methyl Alcohol be used in this case?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 27-11-2013 at 08:37

No, the O-nitrosation of methanol cannot give isobutyl nitrite. Isobutanol is a reactant, not a reagent, so you cannot just change it for something else.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-11-2013 at 09:30

Quote: Originally posted by Steve_hi  

Commercial grade isoamyl alcohol is combined with an aqueous solution of sodium nitrate sufficient to produce about 20% excess nitrous acid. While stirring slowly, a 1:3 aqueous dilution of sulfuric acid is gradually added to the mixture. The sulfuric acid reacts with the sodium nitrate to generate nitrous acid. The distinct odor of amyl alcohol disappears when the chemical reaction has proceeded to completion. As long as any odor lingers, there remains some unreacted amyl alcohol, and some more sodium nitrate and sulfuric acid should be added. After allowing the liquid phases to separate, the upper, non-aqueous layer of amyl nitrite is washed with a cold solution of sodium carbonate to absorb the water held by the ester. The portion which distills over 95° and 100°C is medicinally pure isoamyl nitrite.

Where did you find this non-information? It is wrong! The person who wrote this most likely did not make a typo, because he is very consistent in providing wrong information. Everywhere, where you read sodium nitrate, you should substitute sodium nitrite. With sodium nitrate you will not have any reaction at all in aqueous solution.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top