Author: Subject: Overdriven Detonation
tangent
Harmless

Mood: introspective..

[*] posted on 30-3-2003 at 11:27
Overdriven Detonation

Samosa wrote...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atleast I know that if a hollow tube of H.E. is detonated, the air in the cavity is ionized(fill the tube with a lower vod H.E. than the first and you get overdriven detonation, that's interesting too)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit off topic... But why does that work? Is it because the detonation wave propogates more quickly in a vacuum? Or does the ionization somehow affect the second detonation?

--
so... anyone have a clue? inquiring minds want to know.

-t

...Politics then reigned in Rome. She had her two sisters, Deceit and Greed, as ministers. Under their command, Ignorance, Fanaticism and Fury were seen to prevail in Europe. They brought wretchedness everywhere they went. Reason hid in the bottom of a well, along with her daughter, Truth. No one knew where this well was. If anyone had guessed, he would have gone down into it to cut the throats of mother and daughter.

-Voltaire, Eloge historique de la Raison, 1775

Throughout the world ... we use the word \'politics\' to describe the process so well: \'Poli\' in Latin meaning \'many\' and \'tics\' meaning \'blood****ing creatures\'.
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 1-4-2003 at 12:18

My reasoning that the resulting vacuum would be the case is because
it would be a natural assumption that matter (such as the expanding gases produced in an explosion) would travel at higher speeds in the absence of air resistance. After a high-speed detonation, there is a brief period where a vacuum is created from the point at which the detonation originated. If a second detonation were to occur quickly after this first one, the expanding gases from the second explosion could make use of the vacuum and propogate faster.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

sad.gif posted on 1-4-2003 at 17:22

Theorically yes two waves of same speed will gather because the first has more resistance to fight and thus the second one will be a little bit faster until they add!

On the detonation model, it is impossible because the solid explosive supports the detonation and detonation produces gases in the sense of its travel; nothing is left behind; so a second detonation wave just behind is impossible!

Normally detonation of HE is insensitive to the fact it happens in the vaccuum or not; VOD is stil the same (except for ANFO's where bubbles are needed for hot spots); also the vaccuum will fast be filled by genertated gases!

Also know this: In a detonation process, speed of reaction is faster than any matter speed; this explains why VOD is independant of vaccuum presence or not!
:cool::cool::cool:

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Cappy
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2003 at 13:59

Are you saying the the velocity of detonation is overdriven, or the velocity of gasses is overdriven.

I can't see how a vacuum would assist the former, as sound propogates faster in denser media IIRC. This would leave me to believe that shockwaves would travel faster too.

[Edited on 4/3/2003 by Cappy]
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 7-4-2003 at 03:19

No overdriven gas and no overdriven detonation!

VOD is usually faster than any molecular moves; no mather the support of the detonation being solid, liquid or gaseous!
:(:(:(

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Scientwisted
Harmless

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 09:22

Would someone explain to me where the Idea of a vacuum came from?

I was under the impression that the tube that tangent is referring to is filled w/ HE and air, not a voided cavity. And if it is a vacuum what is ionizing?

Edit: Celebrating my first Post on sciencemadness.

[Edited on 4-1-2014 by Scientwisted]

Go To Top