Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Unusual Chemicals, what to do with them ...?
Maja
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 08:47
Unusual Chemicals, what to do with them ...?

Hi, I have a few questions ... I think everybody faced with this problem. When you have some chemicals ...but you dont know what to do with them :) I have a few reagents(from old lab...) with what I don't know what to do and they are quite expensive nowadays... I have about 2kg of Nitrosomorpholine C4H8N2O2
at http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/SLN1576 here it cost A LOT OF .... 60$ for 1g... Why it's SO expensive...?
Second ... Also few kgs of PHENYLANTHRANILIC ACID. Maybe some suggestions and/or some syntheses involving those materials ? I couldn't find any syntheses with those reagents. So please, help me :) Thank you.

EbC: Made title slightly broader, to welcome input not just on expensive chems...

[Edited on 15-4-2006 by chemoleo]
Douchermann
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 09:13

Just save them until you find a use for them. Where did you get those anyway?

It\'s better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.
Maja
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 09:18

As I said ... I had a chance to take a few bottles from an old lab.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 11:01

I haven't checked nitrosomorpholine but I know a lot of the nitrosamines are carcinogenic. That makes them more difficult to handle and might explain the high price.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 18:04

I have another odd one, benztriazole.

(without the extra R1,2,3 phenyl).

What can you do with it? I know it is used in photography, it looks pretty reducing, but I don't know what it can be used for...

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 18:27

I know theres an explosive which uses it in the synthesis; BTX.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/lanl2_a/lib-www/la-pubs/003100...
Easy if you can make picryl chloride.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 19:41

I've got 100 ml of Chlorotrimethylsilane that I have yet to find a use for. I used about 2 ml to make some nitrotrimethylsilane for some odd reason but have yet to find use for the rest. Any resonable suggestions?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 20:36

I have about 300 lbs of Guanidine hydrochloride I have been trying to find a good use for.
Anyone comes up with a good idea for a useful synth... I'll send you some of it.

Maybe an aminoguanidine something...
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 20:37

BromicAcid :o

You can do much with it, a good start would be to enolize acetone ( http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv8... and simillar http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv7... ) and try to do an arylation of it with a aryl halide or a diazonium salt (copper catalysed), I haven't seen this in litterature, but chances are big that you can make phenyl-2-propanones, but beware, plain P2P is illegal to posses.

[Edited on 15-4-2006 by Sandmeyer]

The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 20:45

Quote:
Originally posted by ordenblitz
I have about 300 lbs of Guanidine hydrochloride I have been trying to find a good use for.
Anyone comes up with a good idea for a useful synth... I'll send you some of it.

Maybe an aminoguanidine something...

lbs!!?? Is that a typo? If it is not I would definatly like to hear how you came into that!:o

I know it is a precursor to tetrazoles

Me, I've got some neodymium and antimony that I don't really have a use for. No ideas whatsoever for the neodymium, but the antimony I plan to make some chlorides of when I have a place to do it...

[Edited on 15-4-2006 by rogue chemist]

ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 20:57

It's no typo.
Originally acquired for the synthesis of 3,6-dihydrazino-s-tetrazine but that chemical is no longer of interest, so the GHCl collects dust.
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 21:17

Sweet jesus! What country are you in, I would pay you for some of that! I'd use it to make aminotetrazole and nitrotetrazole, and also a very interesting high impulse rocket propellant of some complex structure which is the salt of triaminoguanidine. Despite having so little oxygen it has solid carbon in the exhaust, it has a Isp of 230 or thereabouts. I remember the synth looked doable but needed a fair amount of hydrazine for the triaminoguanidine, but nothing too exotic.

I just tried a synth of guanidine nitrate (urea + AN) a few days ago, and I would like to get that working, but I wouldn't say no to a pound or two of the chloride salt.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
praseodym
Hazard to Others

Mood: crazy

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 21:17

Quote:
Originally posted by rogue chemist
No ideas whatsoever for the neodymium, but the antimony I plan to make some chlorides of when I have a place to do it...

[Edited on 15-4-2006 by rogue chemist]

Uses of neodymium include:

1) Neodymium is a component of didymium used for colouring glass to make welder's goggles.

2) Neodymium colours glass in delicate shades ranging from pure violet through wine-red and warm gray. Light transmitted through such glass shows unusually sharp absorption bands; the glass is used in astronomical work to produce sharp bands by which spectral lines may be calibrated. Neodymium is also used to remove the green colour caused by iron contaminants from glass.

3) Neodymium salts are used as a colourant for enamels.

4) Neodymium is used in very powerful permanent magnets - Nd2Fe14B. These magnets are more expensive, but lighter and stronger than samarium-cobalt magnets. Neodymium magnets appear in high-quality products such as microphones, professional loudspeakers, in-ear headphones and computer hard disks where low weight, reduced size or powerful magnet are required.

5) Certain transparent materials with a small concentration of neodymium ions can be used in lasers as gain media for infrared wavelengths (1054-1064 nm), e.g. Nd:YAG (yttrium aluminium garnet), Nd:YLF (yttrium lithium fluoride), Nd:YVO4 (yttrium orthvanadate), and Nd:glass.

6) Probably because of similarities to Ca2+, Nd3+ has been reported to promote plant growth. Rare earth element compounds are frequently used in China as fertilizer.

Alles sollte so einfach wie möglich gemacht werden aber nicht einfacher.
Maja
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2006 at 01:01

Thank you for that pdf ,but I am not interested into explosives. Nice thread.... Anyone can ask what to do with that or another reagent ... :D Maybe some more ref's on that compounds ? :)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 13:48

I also want to mention a few special chemical, which I have. I could not resist buying them, when I could obtain them for just EUR 7,- per liter, reagent grade quality:

2-methyl 1-propanol: CH3CH(CH3)CH2OH
4-methyl 2-pentanone: CH3COCH2CH(CH3)CH3
triethylamine: N(CH2CH3)3

Besides that, I also have 50 ml of N-(2-hydroxyethyl) piperazine.

If anyone out there knows interesting synths or experiments with these chemicals, then I would be very pleased. At the moment they are stored in their original bottles, unopened, collecting dust.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 14:24

I am sort of in the same boat. A while back I bought a liter ofr Triethanolamine N(CH2CH2OH)3. I think the only thing I found via search engine was mustard gas/war gas(search was done a year ago). Hopefully someone might be able to suggest something a little tamer:P
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 15:19

Triethylamine is very useful for preparing esters of phosphoric acid from the chlorides and an alcohol. It precipitates out of solution as the hydrochloride salt, is filtered off, and the products distilled to remove any unwanted esters (mono or di or whatever).
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 19:24

Triethyl perhaps, but triethanol?

Sounds kinda sticky, in an polar way.. a flower of electronegative elements huh?

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
Maja
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2006 at 03:38

I think triethylamine can be used in Demethylation of Vanillin it yields protocatechualdehyde. Here is quote from rhodium.

Quote:
From Rhodium
Vanillin Demethylation with Pyridine and AlCl31

Anhydrous AlCl3 (9.7 g, 0.0724 mol) was suspended in a solution of 10g (0.0658 mol) of vanillin in 100 ml of methylene chloride in an apparatus protected from atmospheric moisture. While stirring briskly and cooling to maintain the temperature at 30-35°C, 22.9g (0.290 mol) of pyridine was added slowly. The reaction was vigorous; the resulting clear light orange solution of the reaction complex was heated to reflux (45°C) and maintained at that temperature with stirring for 24 hours. The solution, which had darkened only slightly during the reflux period, was cooled to 25°C and the product was hydrolyzed, while stirring and maintaining the temperature at 25-30°C, by the addition of dilute (15-20%) HCl until the mixture was definitely acidic to congo red indicator. Of the two phases present at this time, the lower methylene chloride layer contained most of the small amount of the unchanged vanillin, and essentially no protocatechuic acid, the latter was dissolved in the aqueous phase. Evaporation of the methylene chloride yielded 0.8 g of vanillin. Extraction of the aqueous phase with ether followed by evaporation of the ether left 7.9 g (87%) of pale yellow crystals of protocatechualdehyde melting at 153-154°C.

Using the cheaper triethylamine in place of pyridine lowered the yield to 61.5%
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2006 at 17:47

The latest addition to my collection of impossible to get chems.

Old #72
mw- 178.49
99.89%

Now....what to do with it ?
The nitrate salt sounds interesting :)

[Edited on 21-4-2006 by ordenblitz]

Hf2.JPG - 183kB
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 20-4-2006 at 19:06

Another one for me: D2O(100ml bottle, 2/3-3/4 full)...Might give that cold fusion experiment a try if I can find that site which gave specifics... Unless anyone else has suggestions.

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 20-4-2006 at 21:52

D2O- you could prove its identity by growing bacteria in them, or rather, an agar-based medium thereof.... in D2O organisms grow slower, or not at all. Also, if you are after some metabolite, you could make deuterated versions of it.... which are of great utility in NMR (I.e. glucose, ATP, whatever). Not quite realistical on such a small scale though.

Ordenblitz... I don't get it... what IS it you are having? Old #72???

Ah got it... Hafnium metal... what on earth could you want with it? You could play a bit of inorg. chem... the lanthanides ... always fun, since they aren't that well characterised.

[Edited on 22-4-2006 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
skippy
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-4-2006 at 13:16

I bought an ancient tin of lead arsenate at a flea market. The tin is really cool looking, which is the main reason I bought it. Its also cool to freak people out when you show them it what with the whole double whammy lead and arsenic mojo. But what the hell to do with it? Damned if I know.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 21-4-2006 at 18:21

Flow fluorine over it, distill off the AsF5 and dissolve in HSO4F. :P

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2006 at 15:16

bennzatriozole is also known as Kodak AntiFog #1. It takes the light sensitivity down a notch or two. IfIRemember correctly. It helps reduce fog in both papers and films.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top