Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calculating pressure...
lahthffire
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2006 at 23:52
Calculating pressure...

I'm still experimenting with the supercritical methanol biodiesel reaction, and I'm having trouble with a calculation.

What I would like to do is characterize the PρT relationship for methanol at high temperature and pressure.

In other words, if I completely fill a container with vegetable oil and methanol reactants, seal it off, and heat it up to a certain temperature, what will the final pressure be?

I would be happy even to simplify the situation and envision the vegetable oil as not taking part in the action. So can anybody give me any leads on how to calculate the pressure of a 1 liter container containing 24.71 moles of MeOH (791.8 g; 1 liter at STP) when it's raised to 300 deg. C.? I imagine the ideal gas law probably isn't very ideal for this situation ivolving a supercritical fluid with a density equal to the density of liquid methanol at STP.
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2006 at 10:45

I do not think that the ideal gas laws would work. If the methanol dissolves in the oil under the pressure and the is no gas space then you need hydraulic equations. I do not think the low temp. hydraulic equations would work. It sounds like a computer job.

mick

Typo

[Edited on 16-4-2006 by mick]
leu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2006 at 17:45

Perry's lists the vapor pressure of methanol at 224 degrees Centrigrade to be 60 atmospheres, and the critical point to be 240 degrees Centrigrade and 78.7 atmospheres; while CRC lists these values to be 239.4 degrees Centrigrade and 79.2 :)

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-4-2006 at 23:18

Supercritical pressures can be calculated from PV=ZnRT where Z is a compressibility factor. Z can be determined from the "reduced property" correlations of Hougen, Watson & Ragatz. (See Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, 2nd ed, by Smith & Van Ness.)

I tried to determine the pressure using the parameters you gave but could not converge on a solution.

[Edited on 17-4-2006 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
lahthffire
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2006 at 20:49

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I think I got it figured out. I used the virial equation of state and used the first three terms of the expansion to calculate a pressure of ~17,000 psi. This is exactly in line with what I was expecting, so I'm happy!

The virial equation can be found down a ways on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_state

Vc = critical volume

I found an online calculator for critical temperature, pressure, and volume, but I didn't trust it so I found the value for methanol elsewhere to be Vc = .118 l/mol. It turns out the calculator was fairly close (.113).

Here's the calculator:
http://www.pirika.com/chem/TCPEE/CriP/ourCP.htm
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 18-4-2006 at 09:36

Lahthffire, I would be wary of using the virial equation in your situation. Your gaseous methanol will be very dense, as dense as a liquid, as you have noted. Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook, 4th ed., says "The relative contributions of successive virial coefficients is a function of the density, the higher virials becoming extremely significant at higher densities. Accordingly, the convergence of the series becomes poorer at the higher densities and in fact diverges for densities approaching that of liquids..."

Using the "Generalized compressibility-factor diagram" from the Smith & Van Ness reference cited above I determined the pressure at the smallest volume I could use without going off the chart. This yielded the following:

V= 1.43 liters
Pr = 28
Z= 2.71
P=PrPc = (28)(78.5 atm)(14.7 psi) = 32,311 psi

where Pc = critical pressure
and Pr = P/Pc = reduced pressure
and Z = the compressibility factor valid for PV=ZnRT equation of state

I would think that at V = 1 liter the pressure would be considerably higher than 32,311 psi.

[Edited on 18-4-2006 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top