Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trouble finding tungsten.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-4-2006 at 20:05
Trouble finding tungsten.

I'm currently on the lookout to buy 500 grams or so of tungsten metal but I'm having difficulty finding any real sources online outside of eBay (I know it's in welding rods but I was looking for a more commerical source). Does anyone have a cheap (realatively so) source that carries tungsten metal in any shape or form (wire, powder, lump, sheet, etc.)? With the stipulation that it must be of a known purity?

[Edited on 4/19/2006 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 18-4-2006 at 20:40

Have you tried this place......solo

http://tungstenco.com/

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2006 at 20:52

Yes, I found that site but I have not asked for a quote yet on their tungsten though I likely will soon.

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 18-4-2006 at 20:54

I think I have about 500 grams of tungsten elements and a large spool of the pure wire somewhere in the basement. I originally got them from a friend's father who works at General Electric. It's unlikely that I will find them anytime soon, but if I do, I'll send you a message.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 18-4-2006 at 21:39

500 grams is a considerable amount. If you can find a place that does TIG welding, maybe you can get electrode stubs for free or cheaply.

If you do a Froogle search for tungsten powder, it appears that it's used to weight golf clubs. You can get a half pound for $18. I don't know if that is cheap enough, but it's certainly cheaper than a "real" supplier like http://www.micronmetals.com.

If you go with golf club powder or TIG remnants, there isn't going to be a certificate of analysis of course, but I imagine that buying something of certified purity is going to raise the price considerably.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Tacho
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 03:35

Why you don't want welding rods? They are easy to find, any decent hardware shop has them. It has to be quite pure, since tungsten temperature resistance is hard to match.I bought one a few weeks ago, about 20cm long 4mm diameter. Looks synterized (sp?).
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 10:44

Most TIG rods have some thorium, lanthanum, zirconium or other in them to improve emission. Maybe 2% tops, so 97% pure or so.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 18:01

Aren't light bulb filaments mostly tungsten? Of course, it would take a lot of them to get 500 grams.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 18:05

I guess I may as well consider the use of tungsten welding rods to acheive my goal although it is not the optimal solution. On eBay they have rods that are claimed to be Pure Tungsten for $12.45 including shipping for 5 rods (approx 7 in w/ 3/32 diamter) and according to some density calculations, assuming they are tungsten, that works out to 305 grams of tungsten. But isn't there some sort of coating on these rods?

Polverone, I had no clue tungsten powder was used like that for golf clubs, interesting, also the container states that it should be kept from ignition sources, I wonder what other kinds of fun could be had with it. I think I've got enough information to go off of for my reasons but that doesn't mean I won't be accepting of new places or ideas, thanks everyone so far.

Misanthropy
Hazard to Self

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 31-5-2006 at 19:47

You can find tungsten slugs at gun shows around here occasionally. (I don't know why....) They are about .45 caliber and just a bit longer. Just cylindrical stock. They run about .25 cents each from one of the random shit dealers.

Maybe your local gun show as well.

froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 31-5-2006 at 22:16

As I understood it, Tungsten Carbide is used in ammunition, as opposed to the pure metal. You can get the carbide really easy from engineering shops. Just ask for old cutting inserts.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 31-5-2006 at 23:03

Cutters typically come with a bonus of 10-30% cobalt binder (properly, "cemented carbide", rarely ever pure carbide).

I suppose a mad scientist might grab a few pounds of stock, dissolve the Co with HNO3 and pour off the expensive cobalt solution :) and wash the remaining carbides (which hopefully won't dissolve as well).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
UniversalSolvent
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 19:02

United Nuclear sells small tungsten rods. I'm not precisely sure what the overall mass is though.
ethan_c
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 00:48

This thread is rather old, but if you contact me (email? AIM? I just registered, getting used to the whole forum thing) I could ( I sincerely advise against welding rods- been there, done that…) set you up with 500 grams of 99.2% 100 mesh W powder without too terribly much trouble…

And United Nuclear's rods, as generally good of a company as they are, are utter ripoffs. The difference between the rods they sell and a welding rod is that their rods are far smaller (both diameter and length), griinded, and much more expensive per rod. In other words, a bad deal if you're looking for quantity (rather than the ~0.5% quality increase you're paying for)

Go To Top