Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Purity test for grocery Ca(NO3)2
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

shocked.gif posted on 8-5-2006 at 15:03
Purity test for grocery Ca(NO3)2

I came around 5kg bags of Ca(NO3)2 in pottery, but I'm not sure of it's purity. It's a white powder, but the stange thing is that on the bag aren't wrote N contents and/or purity.
Just a big "Calcium Nitrate".
It seems strange that it's 95+% pure or something like that, of course for pottery things 45% is enough...otherwise too much N will come to grass etc.

Can anyone suggest me a test about purity? Even because I couldn't imagine how to purify, if I don't know what is and in what conc.
skippy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 16:11

If it says 95% pure, it probably is at least that pure. Does it all dissolve? Anything that doesn't dissolve definately isn't calcium nitrate and that would be one easy thing to isolate

It was made by reacting nitric acid with calcium carbonate, and whatever soluble impurities are present are probably those that were in the neutralized limestone (calcium carbonate). Maybe some magnesium? How pure do you actually need it to be? 95% is probably fine for many uses.
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 16:39

Yes, 95% is very good purity for me....however, maybe you don't caught the problem....the bag is without writings, except a big "Calcium Nitrate" on the front, but that's all...no tables, purity etc.

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by kazaa81]
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 17:00

Dissolve a sample and try precipitating it. Mass the precipitate and see how it compares with the stoichiometry.

kazaa81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 17:18

Precipitate? maybe dissolve in water and then crystallize
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 17:20

I mean dissolve, then treat with carbonate or something. Make sure to wash the precipitate to make it as pure as possible.

skippy
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 04:25

I'm not so sure now if it is made from limestone. It can be made (evidently) from phosphate rock. They suck out the calcium (along with any impurities, I'm sure) from the phosphate rock. This also facilitates making phosphate fertilizers

Is there no manufacturer or packager contact on the bag? If so maybe you could phone? Lord knows that would be easier than trying to analyze it yourself.

I think that Sweden makes a lot of nitrate fertilizers and maybe you could learn something from this angle. http://www.idswater.com/water/europe/Yara_international_asc/...
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 05:53

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy
It was made by reacting nitric acid with calcium carbonate, and whatever soluble impurities are present are probably those that were in the neutralized limestone (calcium carbonate). Maybe some magnesium? How pure do you actually need it to be? 95% is probably fine for many uses.

Impurities? I don't think that a fertilizer supplier would make a ton of 99% Ca(NO3)2 and sell you 99% in 5kg bags at pottery...I think that it would dilute the ton and make at least 2 tons of 50% Ca(NO3)2 and sell it. So impurities are not only by the process, but also added.
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 06:10

What would they add - CaCO3? Dolomite? If for pottery then something more heat resistant for firing like a cheap mullite or something?

I rekon the same as skippy anyway - ring the manufacturer (or supplier) - they should know the purity.
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 19:01

You could precipitate the Calcium as an insoluble salt… I’d be worried about error here, how much of the salt is still in solution? Gravimetric analysis is very finicky in the first place (requiring accurate scales and expensive filtering – sintered glass filters and vacuum filtration is ideal). At large scale, sulphuric gravimetric would work okay – since I guess magnesium would be the largest contaminant.
I could recommend a titration, and I know it sounds tedious at first for the home experimenter, but if you really want to find out the purity [and IMHO, titrations are <i>always</i> quicker and easier than gravimetric!].

As for nitrate… total kjeldahl nitrogen if you are sure it’s all nitrate, or a metal oxidation titration to determine nitrate?

Caveat Orator
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2006 at 11:13

"You could precipitate the Calcium as an insoluble salt… I’d be worried about error here, how much of the salt is still in solution?"
Er, pretty much none, otherwise it doesn't really count as an insoluble salt.

While it's interesting to speculate on the purity and on the nature of the possible contaminants, who cares?
If it's cheap, buy some and try to use it. If it works then it's pure enough. If not, then I guess you might need to recrystalise it or some such. If the use involves heating it with nitric acid you might want to do it on a very small scale first.

Go To Top