Printable Version  
Author: Subject: kyantec???
new-b
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2006 at 17:11
kyantec???

Hi,

what do you think about this website???Did anybody ever order from them???

http://www.kyantec.com/

What about this one???
http://www.al-chymist.com/site/579340/page/554437
They used to have lot more chemicals in stock.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 23-5-2006 at 18:16

As far as we know, Kyantec is run by the DEA. I haven't heard anything bad about the al-chymist, though, aside from the high prices.

blahblah
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-5-2006 at 13:51

kyantec is not run by the DEA. I hav a buddy who lives down in louisville. they are a nice company been in business for over 30 years. lately they have been stung by the dea for selling meth chemicals.
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2006 at 14:11

Ah, thanks for the correction. In any case, I would avoid that company like the plague. You can't be too careful these days. There was some talk about them a while ago, search the forum to find it.

hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2006 at 18:23

I have ordered from Al-Chymist before and it was fine. However, I didn't even think they were in business anymore. If you go to their main page it says something about moving to a different building, which they hope to complete "by April 15th". That message has been there for months, and almost all their chemicals are gone (they used to have probably 100 or more). If they are still open for business and they have something you want I'd say get it before they close. Someone who knows differently feel free to let me know.

They have (had?) the best prices I have seen on HNO3.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 24-5-2006 at 18:41

Quote:

As far as we know, Kyantec is run by the DEA
i didn´t know, please clear this up.

Evidence and such minor things would be nice. ADC rumors not.
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2006 at 18:59

There was some talk on RS, not here. Sorry about the mix-up. For those of you who wanted to see it, here is the thread.

Looking at the evidence (or lack thereof) it looks like it was mostly rumor. Judge for yourself.

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 24-5-2006 at 19:26

Thats in the so called "water cooler" what responds to our "Detritus" isn´t it`?

I think this thread should be moved exactly there.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 25-5-2006 at 12:50

This reminds me of the story about kno3.com a few months ago. That company was supposed to be a Texas based anti-meth agency and was said to be a honeypot for attracting meth-cooks. That story has proven to be false. In reality it is a company in the UK (Scotland, I believe, but I'm not 100% sure about that). I'm quite sure that this kyantec thing is the same kind of story.

I'm really concerned about this. We want suppliers of interesting chems? Do we? If all of us are being so paranoid and we do not order anything anymore from new (or old, but forgotten) suppliers, then surely they will be out of business soon and again, a source of chemicals has disappeared.
So, if I would see something interesting at Kyantec's site, which I was looking for already for quite some time, then I would definitely consider purchasing it from them. In that way, I also ordered some chems from www.kno3.com and I'm still here to write this post :).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
leu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2006 at 19:57

Antec really has had serious problems with government agencies for unreported sales of red phosphorus, the warnings that have been posted weren't baseless rumors :P

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 25-5-2006 at 20:05

I bought some chemicals from them back in 2002. I initially included iodine in my order, but they wanted a dollar a gram for technical grade! I figured they were trying to milk a very special sort of customer and dropped the iodine. But my antimony, potassium ferrocyanide, acetic acid, chloroform, uranyl nitrate, etc. arrived in fine condition and at reasonable prices for the chemicals themselves. They charged/shipped hazmat for the acetic acid, which wasn't really necessary at the modest scale I'd purchased it.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Madandcrazy
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 27-5-2006 at 09:28

I my mind, the range and price is determining for any oder ;) .

I don`t guessing some sites are controled by the DEA.
Glaudge
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 15:52

i have been observing ky antec, especialy since i live in kentucky, and usa chem companies are rare, at least the ones who sell to individuals, my list of possible chem suppliers that cater to individuals include them and united nuclear, anbd yes i realize UN's chems are sort of price-gouging, o and hi i'm new, sorry if this was an inappropriate topic resurection

[Edited on 29-5-2007 by Glaudge]
oxybate
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 16:42

"This reminds me of the story about kno3.com a few months ago."

Haha. And they've been busted up the tail along with several customers. There goes your theory.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 23:36

Yes, a special kind of customers, in a special kind of country :D

jim20/20
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-5-2007 at 12:02

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
This reminds me of the story about kno3.com a few months ago. That company was supposed to be a Texas based anti-meth agency and was said to be a honeypot for attracting meth-cooks. That story has proven to be false. In reality it is a company in the UK (Scotland, I believe, but I'm not 100% sure about that). I'm quite sure that this kyantec thing is the same kind of story.

az not tx
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4166&a...

http://www.dea.gov/pubs/states/newsrel/phnx013007.pdf
2 az police depts were involved

if an agent provacateur were involved it could be a classic honeypot
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 31-5-2007 at 13:16

Yes, AZ-police depts were involved, but that does not mean that kno3 was a business run by AZ-police or any other official agency. It was a UK-based company, but sadly the owners were stupid enough to sell a few hundreds of kilos of red P (IIRC well over 300 kg of red P) to meth-labs in the USA. So, they were raided and now are in prison.

BeanyBoy
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 02:04

Quote:
Originally posted by leu
Antec really has had serious problems with government agencies for unreported sales of red phosphorus, the warnings that have been posted weren't baseless rumors :P

I don't think this is correct, I don't think they have made any unrecorded sales of chemicals. But they were probably being sloppy in their record keeping until the problems popped up. Apparatus, yes. But I don't think that there are currently any state or federal regulations requiring sales of used centrifuges to be tracked and reported.

Reagent bottles with their labels have been found in busted meth labs. So they are required to keep meticulous records on chemical sales and they ask for a photo ID, which I supplied. I don't have a list, but under a plea agreement, RP is one of several things they no longer sell at all. Four years ago, a teenage customer killed a fellow classmate with KCN he bought from them. Lastly they have been charged with violations of state environmental regulations and the federal Clean Water Act, for which they've paid hefty fines, as well as spending more than my salary to clean up their site. In spite of this, a man in semi-retirement still finds it enjoyable to maintain the business. Probably not for very much longer. I hope his son chooses to continue the business when the father retires.

In addition to supplying amateur chemists, many small schools, home shoolers and so on seek them out for reagents. What's left of Skil-Craft directs its customers to them for refilling the reagent bottles in the kits. Schools that are closing use them to cart off those old chemicals and apparatus. His adjacent warehouse is full of wonderfully-ancient glass and cardboard reagent containers, and glassware that looks like it dates back to the 1800s.

Having this place about a 10-minute drive from my office is just too cool for words. I hadn't asked about nitric acid, glad to see its not prohibitively expensive.

Go To Top