Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Silyl protection with HMDS
shrent
Unregistered

wink.gif posted on 1-6-2006 at 07:47
Silyl protection with HMDS

Hi friends ! :P

I'm trying silyl protection of l-Alanine with Hexamethyldisilazane (HMDS).

i.e. making H2NCH(CH3)COOH to H2NCH(CH3)COOSi(CH3)3.

How can I do this task ? Just mixing & reflux in acetonitrile or something else ? Adding base (TEA) is necessary ?

:D
shrent
Unregistered

shocked.gif posted on 19-6-2006 at 01:53
Making Trimethylsilyl Ester of l-Alanine

I again try to clarify my requirement.

I want to make trimethylsilyl Ester of l-alanine with silylating agents like HMDS, TMCS, BSA (mono silylation at COOH).

I tried stirring alanine with all the above agents separately in diff. solvents (MDC, EDC, EA, CH3CN, etc.) but did not get conversion. :(

Can I pls get proper method for this silylation ?

;)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-6-2006 at 11:53

Look, you probably haven't noticed it, but this forum is about hobby chemistry. So I don't think any of the members feel the need to do the Beilstein/SciFinder searches for you. You keep asking the same questions all over again under a couple of nicknames. As a hobby chemist, it is a bit humiliating to be asked to do work for someone else for free, when this someone is already paid by his company for exactly such work. Don’t you think so?
OK, I would understand if you would ask for a paper unavailable in your libraries and I would gladly do you a favor. But you are actually asking the forum members to do the work you are seemingly paid for!
That is damn arrogant if you ask me.
:mad:

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
shrent
Unregistered

thumbdown.gif posted on 21-6-2006 at 20:05
Nicodem versus Shrent

Dear Nicodem,

I simply disagree with you & the views you posted. What is wrong with you, dear ?

First, for your kind information, I'm not being paid by any company & doing my own research for my own r&d laboratory. It is right that from these r&d I'm earning something by getting ideas & views from the chemists around the globe for my work. But what is wrong with it ? Because ultimately it is a simple exchange of knowledge from an experienced person to an unexperienced buddy.

I'm sure there are so many members on this board who are having background like me & are pleased to exchange their knowledge without any hesitations. Even I'm always willing to help someone with my experience & upon this help, if he gets some rewards or money than what is wrong in it ?

I kindly request most of the members of this forum to pls give views on this discussion (not on my original query but between me & Nicodem !). So that, ultimately, if I'm wrong from my side, I will simply rub-out my name from this forum.

Awaiting your replies............:)
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 22-6-2006 at 16:11

Could you please cite some papers/publications where it states that this reaction is supposed to work in the first place?? What is the reaction mechanism? You realise that the COOH exists as COO-, so this may prevent the reaction, depending on the mechanism.
Quote:

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-6-2006 at 13:48

Try blocking/protecting the NH groups first and then activating the COOH by forming an amide,amidite or imidate.
mick
shrent
Unregistered

[*] posted on 24-6-2006 at 05:41

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
Could you please cite some papers/publications where it states that this reaction is supposed to work in the first place?? What is the reaction mechanism? You realise that the COOH exists as COO-, so this may prevent the reaction, depending on the mechanism.
Quote:

Dear chemoleo,

I had attached one file I have, if it is of interest to you. Take a look at that.

[Edited on 24-6-2006 by shrent]

Attachment: E019936073.pdf (215kB)
This file has been downloaded 2043 times

shrent
Unregistered

sad.gif posted on 1-7-2006 at 05:49
Removing HCl

Hey friends !

I got a very nice process for this. I just mixed TMCS (1.1 eq.) with L-Alanine in DMF at room temperature & after 10-15 minutes stirring, all alanine got dissolved.

But the problem here I face is the HCl liberated during the reaction. For this, I added TEA (1 eq. against TMCS) in the reaction but besides making the TEAHCl, it also affects the TMS ester generating insoluble particles.

Can you pls suggest me how to overcome this HCl & making the reaction media neutral without using TEA ?

By the way, here I assume that the TMS-L-Alanine is liquid ????? Do you have exact idea about that if it is liquid or solid ? (Sorry, I tried first time for this material & could not get any information about its nature from net......)
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 06:09

Quote:
Originally posted by shrent

Can you pls suggest me how to overcome this HCl & making the reaction media neutral without using TEA ?

bwahahaha...sodium carbonate.
shrent
Unregistered

thumbdown.gif posted on 3-7-2006 at 20:08
Na2CO3 !!!!!

No dear, It is not possible to use Na2CO3. Becoz it will generate water upon neutralization & consequently it will immediately hydrolyze my silylester.....!!! :P
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 20:25

Question- have you ascertained that TEAHCl is soluble in the solvents you use? Maybe it is simply precipitated TEA salt... and not your 'affected' trisilyl ester.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 23:12

Na2CO3 + HCl --> NaHCO3 + HCl

Where do you see any water formation in the reaction of Na2CO3 with HCl?
Only if you used too little Na2CO3, could H2O be formed by further neutralization of NaHCO3. Furthermore, Na2CO3 is a drying agent!

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

shrent
Unregistered

shocked.gif posted on 4-7-2006 at 05:02
Pls balance

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicodem
Na2CO3 + HCl --> NaHCO3 + HCl

Where do you see any water formation in the reaction of Na2CO3 with HCl?

Oh dear !

I will be so happy, if you can you pls balance your reaction..! ;) I am very much surprised that you can make NaHCO3 from simply the Nacarbonate & HCl....!!!! :o

I hope, it should be :

Na2CO3 + 2HCl --------> 2NaCl + H2O + CO2
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-7-2006 at 10:00

You got me there. :D

It should be:

Na2CO3 + HCl --> NaHCO3 + NaCl

No water forms, as you can see. It is simply because the pKa1 and pKa2 of "carbonic acid" are far apart (in water they are 6.3 and 10.3; hence a 10,000 difference in basicity!).
Your equation can not happen, unless you use only half equivalent of Na2CO3. Anyway, if you are an organic chemist you should be familiar of the common use of sodium and potassium carbonate as weak bases where anhydrous conditions are preferred. Obviously, K2CO3 is way preferred due to its much higher solubility in organic solvents (acetone, acetonitrile, alcohols...) and higher basicity in them. Therefore, I see absolutely no point in discussing on such a common method that’s used already for more than a century.

I still think you should do your own literature search before asking others to them for you. You keep on posting these questions on several chemistry forums all over the net under several nicknames. You even use different nicknames on this same forum. Why do you do that? Can’t you go to the library like every normal chemist and do the job you are supposed to do by yourself? Then, if you stumble in some problem you are unable to solve with your own effort, you can still ask other chemists. But you are doing this in reverse which is highly annoying to me.

PS: And stop dear-ing me! I find it humiliating. I’m not your “dear”!
:mad:

shrent
Unregistered

mad.gif posted on 5-7-2006 at 00:46
Just stop this......

Nicodem,

You're right that I'm posting my questions with other online forums also, BUT NOT WITH ANY OTHER NICKNAMES.......

YOU GOT IT ?

You're also not at all to be called a "DEAR" from any sort, that I also fully agree with you...!!

I request you to pls just don't post your comments onto my posting & just discard it from your views. I'm sure, I will be getting enough replies for my queries from other friends.

Goodbye......
enhzflep
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-7-2006 at 01:27

Quote:
Originally posted by shrent
Dear Nicodem,

First, for your kind information, I'm not being paid by any company & doing my own research for my own r&d laboratory. It is right that from these r&d I'm earning something by getting ideas & views from the chemists around the globe for my work.

I kindly request most of the members of this forum to pls give views on this discussion (not on my original query but between me & Nicodem !). So that, ultimately, if I'm wrong from my side, I will simply rub-out my name from this forum.

Awaiting your replies............:)

Well, Shrent.
Where to start? Where to start?
I am personally curious as to what the development is needed for if not the production of an income.

Pretty much everybody here performs R but the &D? Perhaps one of the manifestations of your struggle over the language barrier.

While understanding that if your intentions are pure and you are in fact engaged in some other activity for the procurement of a wage, that you would feel somewhat riled by some of the comments directed at yourself, I must say that it does seem rather amusing that somebody with your slippery grip on the English language has decided to use condecention against an established member such as Nicodem.

If you were to improve the grammar, punctuation and spelling of your posts, so as they were not all over the shop like a drunk on Friday night - if you were to do this and respect the etiquete displayed (for the most part) on this board, then you would find it somewhat easier to obtain the information that you seek.

UNDERSTAND?? Bloody.

[Edited on 5-7-2006 by enhzflep]
shrent
Unregistered

smile.gif posted on 5-7-2006 at 20:19
Okay........

Okay.

Thanks for your support friends.......

Go To Top