Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercury adsorption in container vessels
Qemko
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 11-6-2006 at 14:41
Mercury adsorption in container vessels

Here it goes:

Experiments using cold vapor atomic fluorescence.
In glass tubes i place 15ml of desionized water and 1ppm HgCl2
In polyropilene tubes i place 6.3ml of desionized water and 1ppm HgCl2. At T=0, i collect an aliquot of 1ml of each and prepare solutions. The tubes are placed at 37ÂșC and with 120 rpm.
At t=24H and t=48H i remove more aliquots.
When i go analyse in have losses of mercury at 48H of 70% in PP vessels and 50% in glass vessels. Using HNO3 at 65% i wash each of the vessels and can only recover about 10-20%. Can somebody tell me what the hell is happening. Some people said it was dismutation, other said volatilization, other said you don't make good calibration curves! Does anyone experienced mercury losses from solution from 20ppb to 1 ppm? I know losses are supposed to happen, but with 1ppm?

Help me!!! yayayayayyyyaaaaaaaaaaaa (ripping hair)
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 19:53

I don't really think you have losses, it's measurement error. 1ppm - that is 1 mg/litre, and you are wondering about the recovery of 15 micrograms in 15 ml? Hmmmm....
During transfer of analysis you are bound to lose way more than that. Correct me if I am wrong, maybe you have some incredible analysis methods/techniques.

Do you rinse your containers properly, after the 'incubation'? Are the tubes stoppered? Is the difference between PP (polyropilene?) and glass tubes reproducible? What errors do you get, considering that you can only recover between '10-20%'?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 10:12

Chemoleo,
"Correct me if I am wrong, maybe you have some incredible analysis methods/techniques"
The method is capable of measuring down to low ng/litre levels (yes I mean that; a few parts in a million million by weight).
Tranfering samples at ppm and ppb levels is perfectly routine in analytical chemistry.

There's clearly some sort of loss. If it were absorbtion I would expect it to be quick and the recovery at 24 or 48hrs would be smilar to T=0.
My guess (and it's not much more than that) is that the stuff is being lost by evaporation.
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2006 at 11:48

If you consider basic chemisry nothing can be lost, it is just you do not know where it has gone.
mick

Go To Top