Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FTP Drive Crashed
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 26-6-2006 at 21:23
FTP Drive Crashed

2 days ago, the external hard drive on which the FTP resides self destructed. I even tried the
drive on another computer. I'll never use a Maxtor drive again. Unfortunately, all of the
data on the FTP was lost with the exception of a few files that I had moved onto another
drive. This goddam drive went up a couple of days after the warranty expired ! There are
numerous other problems because of the BIOS and Microsoft's lousy driver packs.
None of the plug and play stuff works right now and despite being in service I can't access
Filezilla from another computer.

First things first. I've assigned an internal drive for Filezilla. There's nothing in it except empty
UPLOAD and OTHER folders. I have to do something about this goddam operating system to
get back the pnp devices and the server responding again. Then I'll worry about another
drive. The loss of nearly a year's data is what irks me the most. The drive was supposed
to have a built-in backup system but that obviously failed ! So I have to start all over.
I hope some of you who downloaded or uploaded to the old FTP still have those files. I
have a few of them on my main drive as well as what I had placed on the FTP myself.

This time all backups of the server will be to DVD-RW.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2006 at 03:15

If you can afford it, there are professional data recovery services around. If the crash was due to the read heads failing, but has left the disk surface relatively intact, the disk inside it can be removed by an expert in a "clean" room (no dust) and put into another Maxtor drive case, and copied from there. Another type of failure is in the circuitry in the hard drive case; again, the same sort of thing could be done, or a circuit board taken from another Maxtor drive and put onto it. This is a pity, as I had not gotten around to seriously examining your FTP site. However, I hope someone else had already downloaded most of the files on it.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 27-6-2006 at 04:14

Axehandle uses a RAID-5 array in his server to prevent data loss if a hard drive fails. I know that it's a little pricey, but this might be a wise thing to consider.

For those of you not familiar with RAID-5, it is a system that uses multiple hard drives for data redundancy. If one disk melts down, the data can still be reconstructed from the others.

DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 27-6-2006 at 05:01

Some RAID systems use mirroring - i.e 2 identical hard drives, so if one fails you have an exact copy on the other. (chances of both going up the spout at the same time are virtually negligable)
MadHatter
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2006 at 06:46
Progress

I finally solved some of the OS problems. Filezilla is back up and I finally got all except one
of the plug and play devices back into operation. I still plan to use DVD for backup as I've
never had a problem with that format. The new drive will be internal and not a Maxtor. As
for data recovery from the crashed drive, I'll have to look into that.

The computer itself had crashed because of a combination of products from various vendors
that couldn't get their shit together. In hardware/software forums this is an all too common
problem. It was after several system recoveries, I attempted to reinstall the Maxtor
and the damn thing started screeching.

[Edited on 2006/6/27 by MadHatter]

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 27-6-2006 at 06:46

Quote:
Originally posted by DrP
Some RAID systems use mirroring - i.e 2 identical hard drives, so if one fails you have an exact copy on the other. (chances of both going up the spout at the same time are virtually negligable)
Then again the same is said of the first drive self-destructing altogether.

Seems to me that the best idea might be to set up a RAID config with 2 seagate drives and good cooling on the drives because overheating is what kills most drives nowadays.

Periodic DVD-RW backups can't hurt of course.

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2006 at 09:37

Say you had a couple of 100 GB drives. With this configuration, you get 100GB of storage space for 2 drives. With a RAID-5 array, you get 200GB for 3 drives.

That's why people like RAID-5. :D

daeron
Hazard to Self

Mood: cancerogenic

[*] posted on 27-6-2006 at 11:36

i dont know wtf the guys above me are talking, but ive uploaded some 3Gb of books to the ftp, some of it is from the old ftp, but now again the access is denied for me. did i excede the upload limit or sumfin?

Humans with their brains are like a caveman with a supercomputer. Yes there is a chance that the caveman will use it to calculate the trajectories and the momentums of the celestial bodies, but the chances are that he will just crack open a coconut with it.
MadHatter
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2006 at 15:13
Filezilla/New Drive

Daeron, there is no limit to what can be uploaded. It could be an issue with FileZilla or
possibly something happened on your end. It's hard to tell but I just looked at FileZilla
and you're still registered as a user.

The new drive has been installed and is operational. I want to take the old drive apart
to see if there's anything I can do for it. It doesn't sound promising considering all
the screeching I heard.

MadHatter
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2006 at 23:42
Router

A bypass of the router was necessary to allow users to interface with FileZilla. It should
be accessible now. Backups will be routine. I don't want to go through this again.

neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2006 at 11:12

Bypassing the router shouldn't be necessary. Just enable port forwarding and forward port 21 to your computer. Of course, to do this you have to disable DHCP and enter the necessary information into your computer manually. But that only takes about a minute to set up.

Go To Top