Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Reliable VPN services?
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 12:19
Reliable VPN services?

I really hope there isn't a thread like this already around. Anyways, I read through APO's watch lists/ "tails" thread. I think we're all a little worried when it comes to digital privacy/security/freedom these days. Jeese if I read a scientific paper and later go onto ebay it asks me if I want to buy a plasma helitron compactor (totally made that up).

Anyways, I have tried TAILs and found it cumbersome and not really what I needed, I used to use TOR but tor is a little sketchy for me. There's a whole lot of dark underground freaky stuff that goes down on TOR that I really don't want to be near or routed through. I even knew a geeky programmer guy who operated his own TOR node and closed it saying he didn't feel comfortable with the service anymore for one reason or another. So I settled on looking into VPN's as an alternative.

Now I've tried looking into VPN's but there is a pretty serious learning curve and was hoping anyone on here could help me out a bit. I know complete anonymity is a pipe-dream and I don't really want that anyways. I do feel like given the current political climate though that I would appreciate some more privacy from my ISP, or any mass data collectors (google, etc).

Anyone know of any affordable, reliable, 'trustworthy' VPN services?
Are VPN's the way to go?

Or as a side-note, nifty security hardening tools for linux OS's aside from the gufw fire wall?

[Edited on 9-1-2015 by smaerd]

JAVA
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 08:39

Softether client Japan University

Don't use it for email, shopping, facebook, twitter with if you choose for the sec.option: UDP connection
Got once a warning in my inbox: shopping by a site that I did visit meanwhile on my shopping card I must pay over 300 USD. (that e-shop send me just a warning)

HTTP over SSL -> HTTPS (more secure with the right settings)

www.versuchschemie.de

"Keep sportive it's like Soccer: play on the ball, not on the players"
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 12:51

Quote:
I used to use TOR but tor is a little sketchy for me. There's a whole lot of dark underground freaky stuff that goes down on TOR that I really don't want to be near or routed through. I even knew a geeky programmer guy who operated his own TOR node and closed it saying he didn't feel comfortable with the service anymore

TOR exists for a rather different reason than those outside of the various USA intelligence organizations and State Department (who wholly funded development) assume.

http://pando.com/2014/07/16/tor-spooks/

Some people get QUITE unhappy if this is brought up.

http://pando.com/2014/11/14/tor-smear/

Anyone can run a TOR node, of course!

http://torforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21580

And if the same entity happens to run entry, relay & exit nodes a communication is routed through, hence stripping anonymity... And TOR changes policy to divert all traffic away from small amateur (non NSA?) nodes...

http://torforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65421

https://metrics.torproject.org/networksize.html?graph=networ...

Quote:

It's really easy to get the majority of servers in the Tor network. https://metrics.torproject.org/networksize.html?graph=networ... You can see that the amount of Tor servers has significantly increased after 2013. In April this has been throttled by the definition of a minimum of bandwith (250 KB/s) for a Tor server so that it is accepted by the Tor network. This decision makes no sense, because there are now about 286 user/relay and a traffic of 3 KB/s per user. But it makes sense to cut off the private driven Tor server that are out of control by the NSA!

Properly used, it certainly is of utility- As long as you don't use it to anger or inconvenience the USA. Or any of their business, law enforcement, intelligence or military partners.

I would not assume EVER having privacy or deniability of involvement with ANY electronic communications, regardless of medium or software. What people make, people can break.

My recent research has only strengthened that belief.

[Edited on 4-2-2015 by Bert]

[Edited on 5-2-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 15:25

Interesting. I'd just chain up a bunch of VPNs, tOR, and some proxies, and have a hayday, regardless of security. :)

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
3-2-2015 at 17:32
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 17:34

I moved this to legal & societal so everyone can have at this question...

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 18:27

Using a "Live CD" to connect to the INTERNET simply prevents any data from embedding into your hard drive. There will be no "history of your traffic. It is a wise choice if you fear a seizure of your computer.

A VPN is only good for the target end of your traffic. It simply changes your "displayed" IP.

If you combine an encrypted VPN (AIR VPN / VPN S) with a live cd then you are clean on your end BUT not out of the woods.
Your connecting thru any VPN is logged. These logs can be used as evidence along with end to end data transfers to prove connections with whatever site is in question. Your ISP is ALWAYS the weak link, and there is nothing you can do to circumvent this.

Tor is in my opinion the best option for one reason. It is free, and the risks are exactly the same.

Irregardless of what any VPN claims, your data is in someones hands, and can be "sniffed".

In the bad ole days I used to play around on the net, and used TOR / live cd's exclusively. I also used a computer that had no other purpose.

To set your mind at ease... Forget about becoming invisible, and accept the fact that Big Bro. can beat your ass any time he feels like it. He is BIGGER.
Your best bet is to avoid "pushing his buttons" (nice pun), and resist the temptation to jump in the fire.

If you HAVE to accomplish something scandalous... Get plastic surgery, and ride around (in a stolen car) looking for open WiFi signals (in a foreign country) (using a fake passport) Use a "burner" laptop (bought on the black market with bit coins), and connect to the internet using a live CD, and Tor.
By the time you have the surgery reversed, and arrive home... Your package should be waiting (at your neighbors abandoned house).
Just dig a tunnel to the mailbox.:cool:

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 20:20

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Interesting. I'd just chain up a bunch of VPNs, tOR, and some proxies, and have a hayday, regardless of security. :)

That is EXACTLY what Tor is. Good luck diverting the missile they aim at you house tho. Mac Books are just too slow.;)

Zom.
gregxy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 12:40

The part about TOR makes perfect sense. It is plenty secure if you are a CIA agent in a 3rd world country. Yet it is easy to trace anyone in the USA, and better yet works to attract the folks you want to track. Tor kills 3 birds with one stone!

Has anyone tried hooking a new computer to the internet and monitoring all the places it connects to and what information it sends?

To me the most interesting part of Snowdens revelations were all the parties that were involved in the spying, yet kept their mouths shut.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 13:05

Quote: Originally posted by gregxy  
The part about TOR makes perfect sense. It is plenty secure if you are a CIA agent in a 3rd world country. Yet it is easy to trace anyone in the USA, and better yet works to attract the folks you want to track. Tor kills 3 birds with one stone!

Has anyone tried hooking a new computer to the internet and monitoring all the places it connects to and what information it sends?

To me the most interesting part of Snowdens revelations were all the parties that were involved in the spying, yet kept their mouths shut.

It's easy to monitor, and block a great deal of these "quite giants".
Install PeerBlock http://www.peerblock.com/

Get your updated lists from IBlocklist https://www.iblocklist.com/

And install PrivateFirewall http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

They are ALL free.

Peerblock runs 24/7 on my rig, and as of this moment it is blocking 1,389,733,085 IP's from connecting to my computer (like a firewall) using just 10 available lists.
Like a firewall you can add exceptions, and new IP's to block.

Private firewall will surprise you. Small free programs like Josh Maddisons "Convert" or CCleaner connect to the net every time you run them. The reason? Your guess is as good as mine. Point is you can control what is coming, and going 100%.
Using firewall logs to obtain connection IP's is fascinating (for me). You can use "Who Is" to trace the source/destination, and finding sources like NORAD, China Security Council. CHAOS Club, University of Tehran, ect connecting to and from your computer/device all day every day is well... astounding. You can/should block all these nasties with Private Firewall. The same IP's should be added to Peerblock as a second layer.

I shake my head at people that connect without being aware of these things. NOTHING you do on the net is private or completely secure BUT you can take steps to eliminate 99.99999 percent of the eves droppers, and the software to do so is free.
Being too lazy to figure it out, and apply it is another thread.

Anyone can PM me for my email, and I will be happy to "mentor" you thru the installation, and application of these software-s.
I sort of feel it is a duty to help people understand who is listening, and how to prevent it. Like I said... You will never be unnoticed, but your data can be encrypted, and un retrievable. It's all on you to keep your mouth shut when they start asking questions. (plead the 5th) ALWAYS!

[Edited on 4-2-2015 by Zombie]

[Edited on 4-2-2015 by Zombie]

Untitled.jpg - 460kB

Zom.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 15:45

I keep all my nice stuff on a HDD with a separate power supply than my computer. You could always fill a HD case with a basic thermite and leave it in your computer case in case it gets compounded :) Just hook a thin wire up to the power plug :)

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 15:57

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
I keep all my nice stuff on a HDD with a separate power supply than my computer. You could always fill a HD case with a basic thermite and leave it in your computer case in case it gets compounded :) Just hook a thin wire up to the power plug :)

I keep a Rattle Snake in my water meter housing. A few rats per month are way cheaper than water here.

(I'm JOKING) I don't really feed it.:D

Oh yeah... That HDD is recorded on your core HD. Not the data but it's existence. Can you spell R.I.C.O.. No evidence needed. Simply connecting to the wrong site implicates to owner of the computer, and or the location of said computer as an accomplice in whatever conspiracy they choose.

Going back to other topics... Order a case of starting fluid (for you're auto repair shop), and a couple packs of cold medicine (for your wife) off FleaBay... Nuff sayed:cool:

[Edited on 5-2-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 16:10

Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  
I do feel like given the current political climate though that I would appreciate some more privacy from my ISP, or any mass data collectors (google, etc).

Are VPN's the way to go?

1. Are you willing to pay for a VPN, or is a free service what you require?

2. Yes, a VPN will generally protect you from your ISP determining what sites you visit, etc.
Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

TOR exists for a rather different reason than those outside of the various USA intelligence organizations and State Department (who wholly funded development) assume.

What amazes me is that a very active veteran-turned-militant-libertarian I know was absolutely obsessed with tor and Skype, despite having a mutual friend at a three letter agency who openly told us both systems were completely compromised. And this was 6-8 years ago. If I didn't think the veteran was mentally ill based on other behaviors, I would have thought he was some kind of honeypot based on the kinds of people he associated with and subjects he tried to discuss online with anyone and everyone.

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

Zombie is right. A decent firewall or Network Intrusion Detection System should show you all the traffic your computer maintains to the internet... assuming your modem or routers or whatever aren't compromised further downstream.

The big problem with this approach is that, as Zombie notes, everything communicates with the internet now. Run Microsoft? It calls home. Redhat? Ubuntu? Well, if you like security updates....

And Torvalds had said the NSA approached him, just as Skype had come forward before being bought out by Microsoft. One thing to keep in mind when considering how many companies and people were/are active in spying is that some people did talk. Facebook's Zuckerberg had said numerous occasions that people stupidly hand over all sorts of information, and made no secret about owning material posted on his social network. The fact is that companies may be screened or incentivized slowly, in increments just like political policy is implemented, through various other programs like InfraGuard. Developing rapport is one of the first aspects of recruiting an asset.
Scr0t
Hazard to Others

Mood: Desiccated

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 16:17

Quote:
Install PeerBlock

Peerblock is commonly used to try and block 'suspect' IPs from connecting to your bittorrent client i.e. supposedly IPs associated with the copyright protection industry for fear of litigation.
Unfortunately according to your figure it blocks about 1/3 of the internet under IPv4 so I imagine there are many false positives in there plus no guarantee that you are keeping any of the relevant bad guys out as it's easy to get around such blocks by simply using an unlisted IP address, Gov. agencies have significant resources with zombies and botnets at their disposal.

If you insist on using such IP blocklists then chose a firewall that allows the user to import such blocklists. I forget which ones offer this but then you would only need one program as opposed to two, you're just wasting CPU cycles on a false sense of security.

Quote:
Small free programs like Josh Maddisons "Convert" or CCleaner connect to the net every time you run them. The reason? Your guess is as good as mine.

Updates perhaps? CCleaner does at least.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 16:37

Quote:

Quote:
Install PeerBlock

Peerblock is commonly used to try and block 'suspect' IPs from connecting to your bittorrent client i.e. supposedly IPs associated with the copyright protection industry for fear of litigation.
Unfortunately according to your figure it blocks about 1/3 of the internet under IPv4 so I imagine there are many false positives in there plus no guarantee that you are keeping any of the relevant bad guys out as it's easy to get around such blocks by simply using an unlisted IP address, Gov. agencies have significant resources with zombies and botnets at their disposal.

The first statement is akin to the statement that TOR is used for whatever, and that is it's use.
Granted a hammer can be used as a weapon but that is not the sole purpose.
We all get that so no biggie.

The rest of the statement is 100% correct All of it.
You do have to sort thru allowed lists, and add some that are not there. Small headache compared to allowing 1/3rd of the net free access to your rig.
It's all about layers of protection. New nasties pop up at several hundred IP's per hour. We as internet subscribers are constantly playing catch up. There's no way to avoid it.

More of MY layering is in my malware/virus protection.
MalWare Bytes has IP lists that are auto updated hourly, and Norton has the same.
I have no delusions as to being invisible nor do I care to put myself in harms way. I do what I can to keep the "neighbors" from looking in my windows but I can't prevent them from looking into my yard.

IF you have to use the net to order / research / post things that can be misconstrued... do so in phases, and use only trusted connections ie HTTPS, and for the love of God... DITCH the F'n Chrome browser. NEVER use Google search engine! I use Chromium secure with a few reliable add on's, and Start Page as my search engine.
Two more helps... Use Proton Mail or Hush Mail. Both have free versions, and have key encryption. Google mail will show links to adds as you type in an email. Before you even hit send! It's not eaves dropping... It's looking over your shoulder.

Zom.
Scr0t
Hazard to Others

Mood: Desiccated

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 17:43

Given that I know several people have still been detected by the MPAA when using peerblock and these so called blocklists, any protection you think you get from the NSA/GCHQ with this is laughable. All you've done is block 1/3 of the internet and slow your computer down, why not go for 100% full protection and pull that Ethernet cable out.

You think you can vet or fine tune ~1.3billion addresses covered by these blocklist entries? bullshit!
It only takes one leak and it's rendered useless as far as you're concerned, one leak and you computer could be 'persistently implanted' via a software exploit or/and they'll hack your router which is quite a vulnerable point. Some of this appears to be automated too. Having done that they have the keys to the Kingdom.

Quote:

MalWare Bytes has IP lists that are auto updated hourly, and Norton has the same.

Hourly updates and Norton!? WOW!!! You're sorted!
So you're running Windows, pray tell me at least you run primarily within a limited user account?

Do not use Hushmail if you have secrets, you should be managing your own security.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 18:27

Ok I give up...

I'll pull all this crap out of my computer, and write letters.

I never once stated it was an iron curtain, and I was invisible. I have been playing on the net for decades, a I found this combo of protection (none of it slows the computer (8 core oc'd to 4300 check the screen shot) is better than nothing, and it is all free (cept norton/malwarebytes).

I post what I want where I want, and I sleep very well.

Take all this off? I'll get a few less hours of sleep, and post in less "suspect areas of the net.
That's all I'm saying.
It's easier to find fault than to implement "some" security. Besides... I have no use for 1/3rd of the net listening. If you feel it is bul;lshit, take that up with the developers, and their 10,000,000 users. I'm not qualified to speak for them. Here is all the info for an informed decision.

The statement that hushmail... Go on and keep using Gmail. I have NO secrets but I prefer my email to have end to end encryption.
HushMail is my personal email choice, and I use Proton mail for my businesses.
Let the facts speak. I said all I can for why I use what I do.

Please don't feel I am wishing to offend. You have to understand what these programs / services do as well as understand where you are (on the net) without any protection.
I've been there done that, and I am still here doing it. Only offering help, and advice where I can, and I don't daydream up the info I post. Peace, love, and happiness is all I wish. (and some other hippie schtuff):D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blacklist_%28computing%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerBlock

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/norton-r...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415255,00.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hushmail

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hollieslade/2014/05/19/the-only-...

Zom.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 11:34

For NSA it's a balancing act: Allow good enough communications security for reasonable security in banking & electronic commerce (and for those causing problems to any less enabled opponent!), while maintaining the ability to monitor all traffic & decrypt anything of particular interest.

Can "little people" crawl through any cracks and truly evade, or any software make surveillance too costly and decryption too time consuming? If recent history is any indication, nothing that is so inconvenient will be allowed significant market penetration, it will be put out of business or hacked/back doored/otherwise penetrated/suborned. If I were in charge of NSA, I'd have my minions troll the internet asking everyone where they could find such things, to catch wind of anything promising early and deal with any new threat to "Total Information Awareness" before it became too widespread.

We have seen the results of relying on any large software providers or organizational "gate keepers", it's just a choke point and enabler for surveillance. TOR in the end is an incredibly effective ANTI security tool and a way to self nominate as a "person of interest" (for NSA).

If there were a way to harness the financial and social forces that drive individuals and small groups to become trolls, spammers and malware/ID theft/electronic fraud practitioners, game over.

Social engineering project: Figure out how to monetize: Flooding data surveillance with impossibly huge variety and volume of constantly developing new security methods and algorithms that require TIME and MONEY be spent on cracking, and always front run detection and decryption capabilities- And having an impossibly large % of communications constantly use such.

[Edited on 5-2-2015 by Bert]

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 12:08

I would normally post up the 1,000 key word list about now but you all don't know me well enough nor do I know you to anticipate the response.

Lets just say it clears a forum floor in seconds.

Say hello to my little friend...

http://gifstumblr.com/images/say-hello-to-my-little-friend_7...

Zom.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 12:49

Not to worry-

"When everyone is on the list, no one is on the list."

Etaoin Shrdlu
International Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 19:31

I would normally post up the 1,000 key word list about now but you all don't know me well enough nor do I know you to anticipate the response.

Lets just say it clears a forum floor in seconds.

:D

That list surprises people? Do tell. It's about exactly what I would come up with if I was trying to sort through big data to catch crisis-related trends.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 19:42

You're an original Bert! One of a kid of...:D

Etaoin, It's the same list your mother gave you when you had to run to the store for her. Peroxide, starch, non-fat milk, notepad... We're all going to rot in Guantanamo. See? Now I just F'd myself!

The list is ridicules.

, LLC LF, MF, VHF, UHF, SHF, SASP Stephanie, Reflection, Spoke, Talent, Trump,

It's insanity. but it's my favorite little friend.;)

Here's the list...

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/06/you-wont-believe-how-many-...

[Edited on 6-2-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 09:23

I love big data.... I'm on an email group for it and Beowulf clusters :)

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 13:33

Bilderberg...

Zom.
Etaoin Shrdlu
International Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 16:49

You're an original Bert! One of a kid of...:D

Etaoin, It's the same list your mother gave you when you had to run to the store for her. Peroxide, starch, non-fat milk, notepad... We're all going to rot in Guantanamo. See? Now I just F'd myself!

The list is ridicules.

, LLC LF, MF, VHF, UHF, SHF, SASP Stephanie, Reflection, Spoke, Talent, Trump,

It's insanity. but it's my favorite little friend.;)

Here's the list...

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/06/you-wont-believe-how-many-...

[Edited on 6-2-2015 by Zombie]

Different, much older list than the one I've seen making the rounds. Again though, not much terribly surprising to me.
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 07:31

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  
Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  
I do feel like given the current political climate though that I would appreciate some more privacy from my ISP, or any mass data collectors (google, etc).

Are VPN's the way to go?

1. Are you willing to pay for a VPN, or is a free service what you require?

2. Yes, a VPN will generally protect you from your ISP determining what sites you visit, etc.

Thanks Chemosynthesis. I would be willing to pay for one, but it's hard to find one that I can trust I guess. Sure everyone of them is "Secure", the "fastest", "best" etc... I just don't know how to tell what's beneath the marketing I guess.

I found this thread pretty funny. I am not trying to do illicit things via the internet, so I don't need to don the false mustache and put tape over my webcam and convert a hotel room into a farraday cage and meet with Mr. Z at midnight by the blue phone booth :D.

I just don't want my ISP thinking I am some wrong-doer because I have to search chemical names all the times and forwarding that information somewhere else. I mean I went on ebay the other day and it was recommending me all sorts of science equipment, and I just don't want a 'net-identity' that looks iffy. Then I used google without having a google account and it had my address pop up when I was querying the location of restaurant or something. Kinda spooky to me considering I never told it that.

It's not about having something to hide, it's just that having 20 armed men destroying your front door because you googled something or some fool on a forum made a false report on your IP address (See: "Swatting"), and putting weapons in your face can and do make fatal mistakes. So it's not just agencies that bug me, but also asshole kids.

It would also be nice to have a VPN for my phone, because, jeese. Why not? I don't like the idea of being monitored/traced 24/7 for every kilobyte that flys out of my ass. Sure the three letter agencies can crack my super sweet (sarcasm) VPN security if they want too, that's totally fine. At the end of the day I live a normal wholesome sedantary american life, full of homework and lab reports. Maybe they could help me compile some of my data :D. I think I would feel more comfortable having a layer of security above a very barebones firewall, unfortunately, I think that is an incredibly rational decision for absolutely anyone today.

Imagine what insurance companies would do if they could hieuristically detail every facebook post about people getting colds/flues, eating habits, drinking habits, etc? In 20-40 years, that sort of mass data farming and peoples willfull ignorance to social media seems to me, a likely reality. I'd rather make them work for it, that's all.

Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top