Author: Subject: the Permanganyl Ion MnO3+, salts and crystal systems
chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-1-2015 at 09:38

Quote: Originally posted by quantumcorespacealchemyst  
No, the first one, its 2H2SO4 but there is only 1HSO4- and H2O. leaving
4 hydrogens on the left, 3 on the right

that equation is from Wikipedia and needs correction. I don't know the correct mechanism.

In this case, you would also have 2 sulphurs on the left, 1 on the right.
The equation would balance if number 2 applied to entire MnO3+HSO4-, not just MnO3+. Could the equation be presented in a way that is ambiguous or incorrect?
quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 16:13

i guess it may be Mn2O7 + H2SO4 ---> H+, MnO4-, MnO3+, HSO4-

also, while i am unsure now, it seems the mixture lightened a tiny amount. i am unsure what it is. as far as i know its is from an interaction of
Potassium permanganate KMnO4,
Terbium sulfate Tb2(SO4)3,
sulphuric acid H2SO4,
and Hydrochloric acid HCl.

there was a green precipitate (with some brownish (MnO2?) it seemed) that was insoluble most of the time until addition of HCl. i read HCl acts on MnO2 to Make the chloride (III) but it evolves Cl2, which wasn't observed. also though, the contact of MnCl3 with Cl- makes different negative ions of Manganese chlorides, although this would need the Cl2 made in the first place. the flask was in snow and it is possible, i think that the cl2 was dissolved as it was made back to HCl and HOCl, itself possibly decayed to HCl, so this seems possible. also this put the green stuff, the Mn2O7, in solution.

also the amount of HCl added did not seem sufficient to act on the Mn2O7/HMnO4.

[Edited on 29-1-2015 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]
learner1112
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-2-2015 at 10:33
mnso4 industrial route

mso4 industrial route

i am trying to figure out an economical industrial route of processing mnso4 from natural ore. essentially mno2. the first process is to burn sulphur and inject the so2 formed into the crushed ore and water solution. the slurry thus obtained is kept at ph4-4.5 by adding lime. after the reaction the slurry is filtered and the liquid which is pink in colour is obtained. now the problem is how to seperate the mnso4 present in the solution. can anyone guide me, as when i try to heat the solution its ph goes down and it becomes acidic with evolution of so2 gas and probably the mnso4 is converted baqck to mno2
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2015 at 19:11

It would help if you quit with the 'txtinglish' and started using proper chemical symbols.

But you seem to have it all wrapped up: SO2 indeed reduces a slurry of MnO2 to MnSO4. Filter off insoluble/residue and you have a solution of crude MnSO4. This solution will only be faintly pink if it is very concentrated.

Your pH goes down mainly because you're removing excess SO2. It will not revert back to MnO2 upon concentrating.

Evaporate to dryness to obtain MnSO4.H2O, which is faintly pink. But your product thus obtained is likely to be contaminated with iron though and thus darker in colour.

Keeping the pH at 4/4.5 during the SO2 addition step could help keeping most of the iron as insoluble Fe(OH)3 and reduce the level of iron contamination in the final product.

[Edited on 9-2-2015 by blogfast25]

Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 02:07
MnO2 + H2SO4 ---> MnSO4 + H2O + O2

I read that MnO2 + H2SO4 ---> MnSO4 + H2O + 1/2O2

Is this correct? If so, why not pulverize the ore, and react the MnO2 from Mn+4 to Mn+2 with sulfuric acid turning O-2 to 1/2O2, filter and evaporate?
Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 02:38
MnO2 + H2SO4 ---> MnSO4 + H2O + O2

If there is SO2 it may be S+4 turning to S+6, giving 2e- to Mn+4 (MnO2), making Mn+2 (MnO) with the O-2 attaching to (now) SO2+2--->SO3. Ideally, SO3 + H2O---> H2SO4, which reacts with MnO forming MnSO4 and H2O.

[Edited on 9-2-2015 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]

With the lime, I am unsure what it is exactly, if it is CaO, Ca(OH)2, carbonates or with different beginning parts, Al, Mg, or other stuff.

If they switch anion/cations and are all soluble, I don't know which ones are present in salt crystals and or if they double salt. I recently asked a teacher I had learned from in school a similar question about the nature of precipitating soluble ion solutions and was told that the "activity coefficient" of the ions are needed and some complex mathematics, the "specific ion theory" being what is needed, it seems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_ion_interaction_theory).

in this case if using Calcium salts, it seems that the low solubility of Calcium hydroxide and especially Calcium carbonate can be used to separate concentrated solutions of MnSO4. I don't know how pure it can be made by that technique.

I hope some people can clarify, verify all this. I haven't done this yet. it seems interesting.

I thought the lime was unnecessary, and then I read what you wrote about SO2 being driven out of solution on heating and now I am puzzled too. Does this happen when you don't add lime? I don't know how soluble SO2 is in water, and if the SO2 is from boiling it out of solution, then I don't know why the pH lowers. It seems odd if it is reversal of Mn+2 as if the 2e- (Mn+2 -> Mn+4 +2e-) comes from the Mn+2, where does it go? if the H2SO4 somehow turns to H2SO3 (S+6 -> S+4), turning to SO2 and H2O with heating, the pH lowering seems odd. I don't know, I hope someone here does.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 10:17

quantumcorespacealchemyst:

It's hard to respond to your garbled junk because although it contains truth it also contains stuff you clearly haven't digested very well, a constant in your posts. I suggest very strongly to start your career as a chemical experimenter by cutting your teeth on simple and satisfying experiments, rather than constantly over-reaching and ending up very confused.

I believe the lime (which would be Ca(OH)2 in this case) is there mainly to control pH. Mn bearing ores often contain iron which you want to keep out of your end-product.

Fe(OH)3 is very, very insoluble, requiring quite low pH to enter solution. Keeping pH at 4 to 4.5 during leaching with the SO2 would keep the iron insoluble, or at least that's the idea.

In contrast, using actual H2SO4 would definitely dissolve all or part of the iron.

[Edited on 9-2-2015 by blogfast25]

learner1112
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 12:35

exactly the lime is used to controll the ph. and so2 is used instead of h2so4 because that way it is cheaper.
Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 08:49

why does it give off SO2 on heating with pH lowering?
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 09:25

During the reactive leaching, SO2 is absorbed by the lime in the slurry to form calcium sulphite (CaSO<sub>3</sub>;) and further down the road calcium bisulphite (Ca(HSO<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>;). This combination forms the (primitive) buffer system (pH controller). Once pH is below 5 (or so) the reduction of the MnO2 starts and MnSO4 starts forming and solubilising.

When the reactive leaching step has dissolved all (or most anyway) of the manganese the slurry will still reek of excess SO2. After filtering, this excess sulphite will partly oxidise (with air) to sulphate, part of it will simply escape. Nothing mysterious here...

Come to think of it, it's probably recommended to blow air through the slurry prior to filtering, to flush out the excess SO2 and/or oxidise it to sulphate.

[Edited on 10-2-2015 by blogfast25]

Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 09:52
Surprise~

I checked it yesterday, it turns out 14 days exactly since the red/brown picture.

picture529.jpg - 200kB

[Edited on 10-2-2015 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 11:03

It would help of course if we knew what the picture was and what exactly you did to get that solution.

Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 11:56

1st page

H2SO4, Terbium, KMnO4,
then HCl(impurity?it was cloudy)

the pictures of the flask show the green/yellow insolubles.
HCl put it all in solution. didn't see bubbles.

darkyellow/lightbrown color, darkened alot overnight, and after.
picture of that on bottom of 1st page.
14 days, checked it and took a picture^^^ very light/clear

the HCl was made by gassing dilute H2O2 with HCl from a reaction. it sat a long time and possibly absorbed acetyl chloride and possibly some 1,4-dibromoacetophenone.
it was about a quarter it's original volume (the H2O2) when removed from the reaction vessel about a month later. it was cloudy colorless and decomposed baking soda.

[Edited on 10-2-2015 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]
chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 05:38

Quote: Originally posted by quantumcorespacealchemyst  
I read that MnO2 + H2SO4 ---> MnSO4 + H2O + 1/2O2

Is this correct? If so, why not pulverize the ore, and react the MnO2 from Mn+4 to Mn+2 with sulfuric acid turning O-2 to 1/2O2, filter and evaporate?

1) Oxidizing molecular oxygen is a difficult process, unless the oxidant is extremely strong, like ferrates. MnO2 reaction with H2SO4 would be sluggish
2) SO2 is a cheap substance. Why spend money to oxidize it to pure H2SO4 and then discard the oxygen again, if you can just use SO2 directly to reduce MnO2 much faster?
Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 14:00

yea
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 14:19

Quote: Originally posted by chornedsnorkack  

1) Oxidizing molecular oxygen is a difficult process, unless the oxidant is extremely strong, like ferrates. MnO2 reaction with H2SO4 would be sluggish

Oxidising molecular oxygen (O<sub>2</sub>;) cannot be oxidised. The only real oxidation states for oxygen are -2 and -1. There are NO positive oxidation states for oxygen.

Going from molecular oxygen (oxidation state 0) to -1 or -2 is a reduction, not an oxidation. Throwing ferrate at it doesn't change that.

[Edited on 22-2-2015 by blogfast25]

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Oxidising molecular oxygen (O<sub>2</sub>;) cannot be oxidised. The only real oxidation states for oxygen are -2 and -1. There are NO positive oxidation states for oxygen.
FOOF???
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 16:06

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
FOOF???

C'mon j_sum1. You're right of course but PLEASE look at context. We can also 'oxidise' O to +3 by stripping it of 3 electrons in a machine but on meeting any other atom or ion that state would immediately be reduced. And that's not what he was talking about.

Even in O2F2, which is highly unstable, the bonds are more covalent and clearly unstable.

I'm guessing he ['chorned'] simply got a bit confused between oxidation and reduction.

[Edited on 23-2-2015 by blogfast25]

chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 21:51

I'm guessing he ['chorned'] simply got a bit confused between oxidation and reduction.

No - forgot to spell out clearly oxidation TO molecular oxygen.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 22:17

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
FOOF???

C'mon j_sum1. You're right of course but PLEASE look at context. We can also 'oxidise' O to +3 by stripping it of 3 electrons in a machine but on meeting any other atom or ion that state would immediately be reduced. And that's not what he was talking about.

Even in O2F2, which is highly unstable, the bonds are more covalent and clearly unstable.

I find the mere concept of FOOF hilarious -- it is just so extreme. And that article never fails to make me laugh. Satan's kimchi indeed.
In any case your assessment of the situation stands. You specified "real" oxidation states of Oxygen. Playing with FOOF is so far out in imagination land that I think it is unlikely to be something real chemists would ever really encounter.
Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 15-10-2015 at 21:23

it tuns out, the H2SO4 i was using was 2N, nowhere near the 98% o 95% i thought i had (wrote one o those somewhere). that explains my constant puzzlement about it's peculia properties and failed reactions.

the reaction here evaporated on standing over time leaving a dark green oil, presumably KMn2O7 which i brought outside to dunk in a coldwater container and then added a little KOH.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top