Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ampoule construction!
DeIonizedPlasma
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 22:04
Ampoule construction!

I'm sure most of you have run into some instance during your activities in which an ampoule was required to store something lovely and reactive. I have not yet had to make any, but after seeing some of the work done on periodic table displays I thought I would have a go at making a nice and presentable periodic table featuring samples from as many elements as possible.

This would probably not include things that one would truly need an ampoule for without alternatives (Fluorine?), but I like the neatness and presentation of ampoules to store elements long-term. Since a lot of you have experience making/using ampoules, is there any advice on what to use when making them? I have heard of using test tubes (These seem to have very large necks for this to be easy, although I am probably wrong about this) or pasteur pipettes which seem like the best option. Buying nice ampoules is also technically an option, but I have been unable to find ampoules that aren't sold in bulk. Having searched for recommended methods on the forum and finding nothing, I was wondering what your suggestions are. Thanks!

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 22:22

You can use glass tubing as well. Shaping the neck can be a little tricky. I used to carefully roll the hot glass on a spatula or something metal to get that indention.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 23:08

As for the test tube, it's easy to reshape.
I just found the coolest little Vid on Utube that will help you out. My brain is swimming w/ new ideas because of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNVGge-D74I

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 03:20

Quote: Originally posted by DeIonizedPlasma  
I have heard of using test tubes (These seem to have very large necks for this to be easy, although I am probably wrong about this) or pasteur pipettes which seem like the best option. Buying nice ampoules is also technically an option, but I have been unable to find ampoules that aren't sold in bulk. Having searched for recommended methods on the forum and finding nothing, I was wondering what your suggestions are. Thanks!

Yes, I have a a bunch of ampouled elements and also solutions in ampoule of interesting things like copper sulfate and amino-copper sulfate.

I used glass tubing from neons because I found them for free. I don't recommend them. They contain lead. It is toxic and the other aspect is that when you melt the glass, it becomes brown.

Test tubes is a good idea but if it is borosilicate glass, you better have a powerful torch to melt it since its glass transition temperature is in the 850 °C range while soda glass is 600 °C.

[Edited on 4-2-2015 by vmelkon]

[Edited on 4-2-2015 by vmelkon]

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 06:17

I often make small ampoules with glass tubing, it is quite easy to make a bunch in advance and have them hanging around when needed.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=26485

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
DeIonizedPlasma
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 08:47

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
I often make small ampoules with glass tubing, it is quite easy to make a bunch in advance and have them hanging around when needed.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=26485

Is there any reason besides price that pasteur pipettes are worse than glass tubing? Just curious.

Also, what about thick-walled ampoules? I have heard of people using ampoules for samples of things like liquid chlorine or liquid NOx, but these obviously need to withstand some pressure that I doubt a regular bit of glass tubing is built for.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 09:20

Not really, the glass is thinner and hence easier to seal but likely can't handle as much pressure. Pasteur pipettes have a wider diameter (compared to the tubing I have anyways) but price-wise it's better to just buy a box of glass tube and then you can make as many ampoules as you like.

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 09:29

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
As for the test tube, it's easy to reshape.
I just found the coolest little Vid on Utube that will help you out. My brain is swimming w/ new ideas because of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNVGge-D74I

Where do you get a dual-burner torch that can be attached to a lab stand, such as the one in the video? Very nice!
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 11:27

That seems to be a pretty rare bird. There are a few dual inlet burners on FleaBay, and Humboldt has some nice dual rigs as well... http://www.humboldtmfg.com/bunsen_burners.html

The one you're asking about has obvious draw backs, and that may be why it is so difficult to find. There may be something in Glass blowing that is similar.

Zom.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 00:42

I think I need to get into laboratory glass working if only to make my own ampoules*.

Currently my only flames are a Tirill burner, and a typical propane torch. I think the Tirill will suffice for soda lime tube small work, but I figure I might as well step up and equip to do borosilicate and get an oxygen torch. I want to be economical, but I also want a good tool.

I've done a little Googling and I have identified the National Torch Model 3 Hand Torch, which retails for $115. It looks like a solid no-nonsense design, and it appears that this exact torch has been in production for over 60 years. Some really beat up ones appear on eBay that look like they have been through a war, but probably still work fine. I'm thinking this is a winner, but wondered if anyone had other recommendations on what torch to buy.

*The spell checker says this is a misspelling, but I prefer this spelling, I see others here do also.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 03:09

If you want to avoid all the drama... A simple Mapp gas torch from Ace or the Home centers is around 20 bucks, and will work a charm on ampules / test tubes / glass tube.

You can easily form a small wire rack to hold the torch, and not worry about it falling or rolling a round

Zom.
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 03:16

My ampoule sealing torch is (ok, was) one of those refillable butane cigarette lighters. Unfortunately it hasn't lasted well. I just a few moments ago purchased a butane torch to fit on a standard butane cylinder.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Butane-Gas-Blow-Torch-Burner-Weld...

I think it will do the trick and if it doesn't, it is no huge expense.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 10:51

My propane Tirill burner is unable to even flame polish the ends of the borosilicate glass tubing that I have, so clearly higher temperatures are needed.

Is a simple MAPP torch sufficient?

Or should I go with an oxygen/MAPP set-up?

I have read that oxygen torches are recommended for borosilicate.

The local Big Box has the Bernzomatic OX2550KC Oxy/Map-Pro Torch Kit for $60, and a MAPP only torch kit for $43. Would the MAPP only be sufficient.

I'm thinking if I just use the local Big Box offerings, that I should go for the Oxy/Map-Pro kit.

As an aside I notice that American Science & Surplus has glass ampoules for sale (the suggestions of the Wiki). It has apparently been the go-to site for this for years - disappointing.

If I have to roll my own I am definitely going to need to work borosilicate since that is what I use in my lab for everything.

eBay does have ampoules (ampules) for sale, about $60 for 144 for the ~1 mL size range, but 10 mL is $137.

[Edited on 22-2-2015 by careysub]

Go To Top