Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ammonia smell from Copper/zinc compounds?
bolbol
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 23:30
Ammonia smell from Copper/zinc compounds?

I had a metal composed of zinc and copper dissolved in nitric acid and I neutralized it with NaOH to precipitate out everything and after the reaction was over and the precipitates were out I noticed an ammonia smell from the solution. Not as intense as a 10% ammonia solution but definitely an ammonia smell.
What could be causing this?
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 23:33

According to the wiki on zinc nitrate, using conc. nitric acid and zinc metal reduces some of the nitrate to ammonia. You should use dilute nitric acid to avoid this if you wish to. I've recently reported this on another thread.

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
Shivachemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 23:48

No, it mainly happens with dilute nitric acid and even with very dilute nitric acid. Zinc dissolves in dilute nitric acid and reduces nitric acid to nitrous oxide whereas very dilute nitric acid reduced to hydroxylamine and ammonium nitrate along with Zinc nitrate. I think ammonium nitrate in the mixture reacts with Sodium hydroxide to give ammonia. The same happens with tin and Iron too. This is probably due to the liberation of nascent hydrogen (powerful reducing agent). However, concentrated nitric acid dissolves zinc and produces Zinc nitrate with the liberation of Nitrogen dioxide. But, this will not happen with Copper.
bolbol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 23:51

This was actually done using fairly conc nitric acid... Any body knows an easy way to separate the two compounds of copper hydroxide and zinc hydroxide?
Shivachemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 00:14

oh, NO2 was evolved during the reaction? Well, separating these compounds is difficult. Having said that, how about adding more Sodium hydroxide to dissolve Zinc hydroxide (due to the formation of Sodium zincate) and remove copper hydroxide using filter paper ( as it is only very sparingly soluble in Sodium hydroxide solution) and then you can recover the Zinc ion by adding soluble carbonate solution. But, I will tell you if I find a better solution for this.
bolbol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 00:56

yes NO2 was evolved only at the beginning tho. And yes I read on wikipedia that adding more OH- will dissolve the zinc hydroxide back but I wasn't sure how I'd recover that from the NaOH.
Only acid bases I have currently are vinegar, ammonia, nitric acid and sodium bicarbonate... and arsenic acid lol
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 06:15

I can't tell you how to separate zinc and copper hydoxides without converting the copper hydroxide back into copper metal, but if you're interested in that, add just enough acid(hydrochloric is a good one for this purpose) to dissolve the mixed hydroxide, and then add zinc metal to displace copper from the solution. When you're done, there should be a water-clear solution of zinc chloride with a pile of copper metal at the bottom. Zinc hydroxide can be precipitated out by the addition of NaOH or ammonia, and the spongy copper metal obtained can be cleaned of any remaining zinc with dilute hydrochloric acid. If you don't have hydrochloric acid, it's almost vital that you do obtain it somehow.

I wouldn't recommend gdflp's method as zinc hydroxide also dissolves in ammonia to form an ammine complex, just as copper hydroxide does.

[Edited on 2-4-2015 by No Tears Only Dreams Now]

Shivachemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 06:23

FYI: Zinc hydroxide is amphoteric in nature and dissolves in excess of ammonia solution too (due to the formation of complex). So, I afraid this won't work.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 11:24

Deleted my last post so as not to cause confusion. Sorry about that, I was having another stupid moment:mad:

[Edited on 2-4-2015 by gdflp]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 12:47

Quote: Originally posted by Shivachemist  
This is probably due to the liberation of nascent hydrogen (powerful reducing agent). However, concentrated nitric acid dissolves zinc and produces Zinc nitrate with the liberation of Nitrogen dioxide. But, this will not happen with Copper.

'Nascent hydrogen' is a myth that's been put to bed a long time ago, shiva.

Go To Top