Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tin Refining/Purification
DeIonizedPlasma
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 17:27
Tin Refining/Purification

So I recently gained access to a copy of the CRC (88th) and had fun looking through the ridiculously specific information (Did you know that the earth loses 10^23 J/Century through radiation of heat into space?). Anyways, I happened to come across a list of low melting point alloys, one of which is Ga-Sn-Zn.

I already have two of these, but tin is something that I don't currently have in the lab. I was unable to find anything referencing the refining of tin here, and the only resource I found was a patent on a method of electrorefining that I would rather not spend the time to build. In this case, is there any way to make or obtain relatively pure tin at home? I don't have any tin cans, and I would think that they aren't pure enough anyways. Any ideas for a starting point that might contain tin in any form would be helpful.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 18:05

Lead-free solder is mostly tin, with either 5% antimony or 3% silver, etc. Get the stuff that is solid wire, without the flux inside. Find it in your favourite hardware store, it's used for plumbing.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 18:10

You can buy tin ingots online (I bought an 8 oz. one once). Tin is easy to melt down, and can be granulated by dripping small drops into water.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 18:34

I have bought ingot tin and bismuth off eBay from which I made a low temperature melting eutectic alloy. My purpose was to have a heating bath that could go higher in temperature than silicone oil. It must have been cheaper than Wood's metal or I would have bought that.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 18:41

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I have bought ingot tin and bismuth off eBay from which I made a low temperature melting eutectic alloy. My purpose was to have a heating bath that could go higher in temperature than silicone oil.

That's a very intriguing idea. Have you ever had any issues cleaning the outside of the flask afterwards, or does the alloy not wet glass at all?

[Edited on 2-19-2015 by gdflp]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 18:58

I never used it with a glass vessel so can't say. The picture below shows the bath on the left with the alloy in it. The middle ss vessel was used in the bath for making molten NaOH. The copper crucible was made for the same purpose but I haven't got around to using it yet. Both of the crucibles were silver soldered.

The ss vessels were both made from a martini shaker put to a higher use. ;)

Sn-Bi bath + metal crucibles.jpg - 106kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 04:07

I think certain ornaments are made of pure tin. I have one at home but I never tested it to see what it is made of.

I suppose you can buy lead-tin solder (60%-40%).
Dissolve in nitric acid. I assume this makes Sn(2+).
Lead of course will become Pb(2+).
Add a chloride salt like NaCl and PbCl2 precipitates.
You should be able to get tin metal as needle crystals by dunking in a copper wire.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 05:32

Rotometals is about as good a deal as you will find for small quantities of 99.9% pure Tin- Prices on most items INCLUDE shipping if order is over $99.00.

http://www.rotometals.com/Tin-Ingot-s/27.htm

They also sell several low melting alloys:

http://www.rotometals.com/Low-Melting-Fusible-Alloys-s/21.ht...

[Edited on 20-2-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

papaya
National Hazard

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 06:24

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  
I

Don't advice things you're not sure!
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 06:46

Chemical separation of tin and antimony can be achieved as follows.

Dissolve the Sn/Sb alloy in (weakish) Aqua Regia. It dissolves the metals to H<sub>2</sub>SnCl<sub>6</sub> and HSbCl<sub>6</sub>.

Add KCl to the hot solution, dissolve, then allow to cool. K<sub>2</sub>SnCl<sub>6</sub> crystallises out but KSbCl<sub>6</sub> is far too soluble and stays in solution.

From that same mixed solution Sb can also be separated out fom Sn because copper plates out the Sb but not the Sn.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 06:51

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  

It doesn't dissolve in nitric acid: it forms insoluble SnO<sub>2</sub>. It needs HNO3 + HCl. And then it forms hexachloro stannic acid.

careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 08:16

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Rotometals is about as good a deal as you will find for small quantities of 99.9% pure Tin- Prices on most items INCLUDE shipping if order is over $99.00.

http://www.rotometals.com/Tin-Ingot-s/27.htm

They also sell several low melting alloys:

http://www.rotometals.com/Low-Melting-Fusible-Alloys-s/21.ht...

[Edited on 20-2-2015 by Bert]

They also have "popcorn" tin flake for $20/lb, which should be convenient for doing tin reductions (or for melting into an alloy composition).

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/tinflakes.htm
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 19:32

for me, a cheap source of tin is used lead-free Pewter flatware items (plates, saucers etc.) via eBay.
There may be a few percent Cu and Sb.
Selangor pewter is about 97.5% Sn, 1.5% Sb and 1% Cu.

For 'pure' tin I bought 5 oz. of 99.9% tin for GBP 7.49 incl. p&p via eBay.
Search your local eBay for 'tin 99' or 'tin 99.9'

[Edited on 21-2-2015 by Sulaiman]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 22:11

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I have bought ingot tin and bismuth off eBay from which I made a low temperature melting eutectic alloy. My purpose was to have a heating bath that could go higher in temperature than silicone oil. It must have been cheaper than Wood's metal or I would have bought that.

Stick with what you made as Wood's metal is an extremely bad choice for a heating bath. 26.7 % Pb is bad enough as far as toxicity goes. The 10 % Cadmium metal (itself toxic) which will form the very toxic oxide upon heating adds a whole new level of risk.

On the subject of the OP, Sn is so cheap at decent purity on ebay I do not see why one would wish to deal with purifying solder or some other alloy or mix. Just buy the pure metal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pound-TIN-metal-Ingot-99-98-pure-B...

One pound for $18.99 with $5.99 shipping.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman

Go To Top