Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Taste of different acids?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 11:21

Quote: Originally posted by jsc  
Do an explicit pH test if there is any uncertainty. Anthing between 2 and 12 is relatively safe. By comparison, lemon juice is 2, stomach acid is 1. If you have ever barfed into your mouth, you know what pH 1 is like.

When tasting make sure to have water rinse and a pH antidote (acid/base) available.

It's all there !

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by Sulaiman]
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 18:03

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
Other straight-chain carboxylic acids would be interesting, considering we consume so much vinegar. Formic acid, propionic acid, butyric acid, lauric acid, etc.

Propionic acid is certainly safe to consume in reasonable amounts: it is used as a food preservative at the level of a few tenths of a percent (usually as calcium propionate) and it is the distinctive odor and flavor of swiss cheese (produced by genus Propionibacterium).
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 21:58

Don't taste sulfuric acid... SO3 is carcinogenic. Don't taste chromic acid or arsenic acid either, if you want to live to see your 60th birthday.

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by Cou]
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 21:59

Sigh...
Surely you realize there's no sulfur trioxide in sulfuric acid, dilute or otherwise. If you're going to constantly make claims like "x chemical is carcinogenic", please show your sources. BTW, Wikipedia doesn't count.

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by Molecular Manipulations]

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 23:27

Quote: Originally posted by Molecular Manipulations  
While we're at it: Hydrogen cyanide, sometimes called prussic acid is something I would not drink by the gallon, or the mL for that matter.

True!
On the other hand, it is an acute poison, which in nonfatal amounts (below tens of mg) is rapidly and completely made harmless by body.

Testing the taste of arsenic acid, or the sweetness of lead sugar and beryllium salts, I´d be wary about. These might be long term, cumulative poisons.

Now, how about the baseline: checking the taste of underlying salts?

Say, small amounts of common anions, like NaCl compared to NaBr, Na2SO4, NaNO3, NaPO3, or with common cations like KCl, MgCl2, CaCl2, NH4Cl, brought to uniform pH of 5,5. How does the taste of NaCl and Na2SO4 compare? And how does this difference show in case of dilute HCl and H2SO4 - are they equally and undistinguishably sour at the same pH, or does the taste of Cl- and SO4(2-) stay perceptible?

Precisely what tastes salty? Is it the taste of Na+ (and therefore Na2SO4, NaNO3, NaPO3 taste equally salty), or of Cl- (and therefore it is KCl, NH4Cl, HCl that taste equally salty)?
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 04:19

Pentanedioic acid (glutaric acid)...

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 05:15

Quote: Originally posted by chornedsnorkack  
Now, how about the baseline: checking the taste of underlying salts?

Say, small amounts of common anions, like NaCl compared to NaBr, Na2SO4, NaNO3, NaPO3, or with common cations like KCl, MgCl2, CaCl2, NH4Cl, brought to uniform pH of 5,5. How does the taste of NaCl and Na2SO4 compare? And how does this difference show in case of dilute HCl and H2SO4 - are they equally and undistinguishably sour at the same pH, or does the taste of Cl- and SO4(2-) stay perceptible?

Precisely what tastes salty? Is it the taste of Na+ (and therefore Na2SO4, NaNO3, NaPO3 taste equally salty), or of Cl- (and therefore it is KCl, NH4Cl, HCl that taste equally salty)?

It's a combination of both the anion and cation, certainly. NaCl tastes salty, KCl tastes salty but metallic, and Na2CO3 tastes bitter.
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 05:27

And ammonium chloride is super salty, that's what gives Dutch liquorice it's ah... 'Acquired taste' (to put it nicely)
chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 05:57

most other organic acids and many, many more.
[EDIT] Oh and I can't forget the common ones I do taste, or at least injest: ascorbic acid (vitamin C), acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin), citric acid and nasty butyric acid- not in pure form or on purposes but rather rancid butter.

Exactly. While many organic compounds are poisonous, many are perfectly physiologic and safe to feed on, at least in quantities to taste.
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 10:10

Tartaric acid is the worst :(
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 14:53

I know I wouldn't taste any acids from the lab. Not tasting is what separates those who 'kook' from those who perform experiments. Though someone once did say "Orbitals are for mathmatitians, organic chemistry is for cooks!" - Not that I think that, though.
And pardon my ignorance, but isn't the butyric acid you mention an illegal drug?
Quote: Originally posted by Etaoin Shrdlu  
Quote: Originally posted by NexusDNA  
What about phenols? I find tannin at low concentrations quite not displeasing.

Google search: site:www.thegoodscentscompany.com chemical name

Click the Organoleptics tab. There is often flavor data.

That's great! Lots of info!
Sigh...
Surely you realize there's no sulfur trioxide in sulfuric acid, dilute or otherwise. If you're going to constantly make claims like "x chemical is carcinogenic", please show your sources. BTW, Wikipedia doesn't count.

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by Molecular Manipulations]

Especially if the word Cou is located somewhere on the edits page (Just kidding...)
Anyone want to try some methlene blue, we'll be able to tell how many acids you've ingested! :)

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 14:59

Quote: Originally posted by kecskesajt  
Tartaric acid is the worst :(

Isn't that the stuff they coat sour gummies in? I like it.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 15:07

Tasting your own processed Output is inherently distasteful.

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 16:09

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
And pardon my ignorance, but isn't the butyric acid you mention an illegal drug?

Butyric acid isn't a drug, it's just the straight-chain four-carbon carboxylic acid. It's what makes rancid butter and vomit smell bad. (Funnily, in isolation I don't find it that unpleasant.)
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 16:12

Oddness

bolbol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 16:17

I did check the taste of the salts once but they were sodium halides..
NaBr was really nice, it was as salty as NaCl but upon dissolving on your tongue it became a bit warm which was cool(I guess dissolving NaBr in water is exothermic...)

NaI tasted bitter not sure why... I wasn't expecting it too
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 20:38

Oh all right. I'll pardon your ignorance just the once.
No, it's not a drug, it's a very simple carboxylic acid, hence butyric acid if you understand organic nomenclature. It's just like vinegar with a couple extra carbons and enough hydrogens to saturate it.
Perhaps you are confused with GHB (gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid), who's freebase (generally sodium I believe) is a anti-anxiety drug. But the drug is not an acid, it's a salt of an acid and not butyric acid at that. It's a controlled substance but not illegal to make, just to buy or sell without a prescription. I've actually made GHB and NaGHB a few times. There's a thread on here somewhere.
"Methoxide" has the prefix "meth" but last time I checked it's not the same as methamphetamine. Things like these are easy to get confused, happens to the <s>worst</s> best of us... apparently:cool:

[Edited on 8-3-2015 by Molecular Manipulations]

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 12:18

Oh all right. I'll pardon your ignorance just the once.
No, it's not a drug, it's a very simple carboxylic acid, hence butyric acid if you understand organic nomenclature. It's just like vinegar with a couple extra carbons and enough hydrogens to saturate it.
Perhaps you are confused with GHB (gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid), who's freebase (generally sodium I believe) is a anti-anxiety drug. But the drug is not an acid, its it's salt and not butyric acid at that. It's a controlled substance but not illegal to make, just to buy or sell without a prescription. I've actually made GHB and NaGHB a few times. There's a thread on here somewhere.
"Methoxide" has the prefix "meth" but last time I check it's not the same as methamphetamine. Things like these are easy to get confused, happens to the <s>worst</s> best of us... apparently:cool:

[Edited on 8-3-2015 by Molecular Manipulations]

Haha, that's what I was referring to. I hated my health class in that it made me google the names of drugs on my home computer to find out information on them. It just doesn't seem like that's a wise idea. At least I'm going to wipe and redo my computer's hardware soon.

Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 12:21

Are you worried about your parents or the laws finding drug research on your computer? If the former just use Google incognito, if the latter just stop worrying. Research can't get you in trouble.

-The manipulator
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 12:34

Are you worried about your parents or the laws finding drug research on your computer? If the former just use Google incognito, if the latter just stop worrying. Research can't get you in trouble.

The latter. My parents trust me as far as I know. Besides, my computer boots into TTYLinux (like dos, but even less useful) unless you change the boot drive in the Bios anyways :P

Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 14:27

Are you worried about your parents or the laws finding drug research on your computer? If the former just useincognito, if the latter just stop worrying. Research can't get you in trouble.

The latter. My parents trust me as far as I know. Besides, my computer boots into TTYLinux (like dos, but even less useful) unless you change the boot drive in the Bios anyways :P

Use Tor browser if you really want to read about drug chemistry out of curiosity. As long as you aren't actually making drugs, you should have freedom of Learning , but having an extensive Internet history on erowid's methamphetamine page combined with a purchase history of list 2 chemicals could be evidence for a judge to sign a no knock warrant...
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 16:10

Would it be possible to reserve "Chemistry in General" for substantiated, referenced Chemistry threads ?

There are Other forum areas for use.

Darkstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 19:44

Dude, it's called the First Amendment! :cool: How else do you think books like PiHKAL, TiHKAL and Secrets of Methamphetamine Manufacture are perfectly legal? Exercise your rights!
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 13:06

General chemistry books often have sections on 'medical chemistry', and that's plenty to quench interest.

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 13:15

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Would it be possible to reserve "Chemistry in General" for substantiated, referenced Chemistry threads ?

There are Other forum areas for use.

You're one to talk aga;) http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=29710
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top