Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kimax/Kimble enamel markings not as durable as Pyrex?
DieForelle
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 07:14
Kimax/Kimble enamel markings not as durable as Pyrex?

I had a couple Pyrex beakers I'd used as measuring cups for some years, and/or for the odd "experiment", such as yogurt making.
About a month ago I broke one, and switched to one from a Kimax "russian doll" set. (you know, 50,100,250,500,1000 all nested together) I'd bought the Kimax set because it seemed cheap and I needed to reach $150 or something to get free shipping on a site called Zoro Tools. And I figured I'd eventually break one of my Pyrex beakers. It was only $25 IIRC.
Well, after only 3-4 washes, the Kimax marking enamel has almost completely worn off. The Pyrex I must have had for about 5 years and it hadn't worn off at all. I do add a bit of sodium bicarbonate to my dishwasher's wash cycle as a booster, but, again, I've done that for years and it's never bothered the pyrex. That level of alkalinity shouldn't cause a problem IMHO.
Anyone else seen this difference in durability? Even the new, junky, consumer Pyrex, which is no longer borosilicate, has had red markings that have lasted in my dishwasher cycles for years. They are slightly degraded/faded appearing, but not literally vanishing as the kimble markings are.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 08:29

Do the new beakers say where they are made? It could be that Kimax has moved to a cheaper location, or could be just a bad batch, or even "fake" Kimax glassware. I think they have moved their manufacturing also, but not sure. Most new Pyrex labware is now made in Germany, some was still in the UK a while back, but not sure if that exists still.

The main items that I have seen issues with are graduated cylinders and a few graduated addition funnels, as some of those had similar problems, but only after years of use. Some of those may have been put through base bathes, etc. But I also have Pyrex beakers and erlenmeyers that are 30+ years old, which still have quite clear labels. I am seeing many VWR, Fischer and other brands now providing Chinese made vials, beakers and flasks now. Some are OK, some are lousy, and they change quality from lot to lot, likely made if a different place each month or year. I don't like that, as even the height if the tubes and diam of the vials changes a lot, which means some don't fit well in racks, or don't work well in certain equipment (test tubes can't be too tall in certain fraction collectors or the arm hits them.)
DieForelle
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 17:03

You know, I wouldn't rule out being fake either. They have no origin mark. I was surprised that the packaging was a little cheap and generic looking. Also, I just looked at the Kimble website:
http://www.kimble-chase.com/advancedwebpage.aspx?cg=1556&...
What I spotted is mine says "Kimax (R) [newline] Kimble" not "Kimax (R) [newline] Kimble USA"

FWIW I have a Fisherbrand 1000 ml beaker I bought a few years ago which has been my main one for making yogurt. I isn't marked as to origin so is presumably made in China. It's been through the washer many times w/o fading too.

Anyhow, it's back to Pyrex for me. BTW when I posted before that I was worried about a possible Pyrex fake, I now realize it wasn't at all. Because I ordered a replacement for that one recently too, from Qorpak. Who you certainly can't imagine selling fakes. Guess who drop shipped it with a notice of "will be sent directly from manufacturer" on my account page? Chemglass in NJ. So apparently Pyrex subcontracts manufacture of the "heavy duty" Erlenmeyers to Chemglass...or maybe Chemglass imports them from China and finishes them. Because the one I bought on ebay years ago (that I was worried was fake) came from that same part of central NJ where all the scientific glass manufacturers are. And, it looks exactly the same. Other than the crack in the old one haha.
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 17-3-2015 at 07:45

I have some old Pyrex and Kimax, like from the 1950s or 60s, and they seem to be equivalent in quality. All of the enamel is still easily readable on specimens of both brands, except for a couple of pieces where there was clear mechanical stress involved in chipping it away. I also have some brand new Pyrex that was made in Germany, and after multiple washes, the markings are still pristine.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2015 at 08:07

I have not seen or heard any sign of Chemglass getting anything from China. I would not be surprised if they do not make some things for Pyrex now, since they are one of the last companies still in the US making borosilicate glassware. But I have always liked their quality, so I would be happy to get Pyrex items from them. Or they may simply be the east coast warehouse for Pyrex brand glassware now, I had noticed that they do sell some Corning Pyrex items on their website, so they might have decided to work together, much like Kimble and Kontes joined together. They are one of the other remaining US companies, although I think that some Kimble branded vials are now Chinese sourced,

Go To Top