Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Preparation of propionic acid
Ramium
Hazard to Others

Mood: Licit fish

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 12:15

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
Did it ever heat up? What is your MEK source, I'm guessing that it may not be as pure as you originally thought, but it could be the bleach too. At least there aren't too many possible culprits.
the reaction dident seam to heat up. This is my MEK Source http://www.tmkpackers.co.nz/index.php/site/gallery/category/...
Ramium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 18:07

Had a closer look at the mixture and i saw a separite layer on the bottom!!!

It was hiden by the curve of the glass

Is there anyway to test the layer to see if its chloroform?

The layer looks cloudy
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 12:42

Remove the aqueous layer with either by decanting or using a separatory funnel. Then take the chloroform layer and set up a simple distillation. The boiling point is 61.2 C, so the vapor should come over at close to that temperature. You can salt out any remaining water with anhydrous magnesium sulfate if you wish. Otherwise, take the distilled product (which should be clear) and store it in an amber glass or otherwise dark bottle. Add a few drops of ethanol to stabilize it (prevents decomposition to phosgene).

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 13:36

Quote: Originally posted by Ramium  
Is there anyway to test the layer to see if its chloroform?

The layer looks cloudy

Dry it with CaCl2, then determine density. The 1.49 density is quite a lot higher than most organics.

Weighing accurately how much you've got can give a good idea of conversion of the reaction. Be careful with chloroform, though! Read up, if you haven't already.

Ramium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 13:50

thanks guys.

will distil it today :)

[Edited on 10-4-2015 by Ramium]
Ramium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 22:19

I added HCl to the rest of the mixture. then tried to salt out the propionic acid from the mixture but it didn't work. I then started thinking about how to dispose of the mixture.
then i tested to with PH paper and it was alkaline. So I took it to a chemical disposal plant.

That stuff which i thought was chloroform isn't chloroform after all. Its turned white and viscous and i realised the strog smell was actully MEK.

I guess i failed.:(.

Anyone know any other feasible methods for making propionic acid?

[Edited on 16-4-2015 by Ramium]
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 22:36

If it was alkaline, then you hadn't added enough HCl. The stuff that you thought was chloroform might have been impure chloroform...who's to say?

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Ramium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 23:06

I guess. But sadly i have already disposed of the mixture.

I'll try the experiment again

I'm just worried because the first time it didn't seem to heat up at the start, which it was supposed to, so i am not sure if it is going to work the second time

I'll try a differnt brand of bleach.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 16-4-2015 at 07:31

I added HCl to the rest of the mixture. then tried to salt out the propionic acid from the mixture but it didn't work. I then started thinking about how to dispose of the mixture.
then i tested to with PH paper and it was alkaline. So I took it to a chemical disposal plant.

That stuff which i thought was chloroform isn't chloroform after all. Its turned white and viscous and i realised the strog smell was actully MEK.

I guess i failed.:(.

Anyone know any other feasible methods for making propionic acid?

[Edited on 16-4-2015 by Ramium]

You could oxidize the alcohol to the carboxylic acid.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 16-4-2015 at 07:38

1-propanol can be reacted with an aqueous solution of potassium permanganate and sodium hydroxide, oxidizing the alcohol to propionic acid which is neutralized immediately by the sodium hydroxide. The permanganate itself is reduced to manganese dioxide, which can be filtered out. The remaining solution can be boiled down until it crystallizes, and the crystals of sodium propionate can be treated with sulfuric acid(or another acid if you don't mind water) and a distillation of the propionic acid can then be carried out.

The 1-propanol can also be oxidized with potassium or sodium dichromate and sulfuric acid, but that's a little bit more messy. I would imagine that the dead reaction mixture after the reaction(which is very, very exothermic) could be heavily salted with sodium chloride and the propionic acid could be extracted with ether or chloroform.

[Edited on 4-16-2015 by Amos]

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2015 at 07:51

I would expect that acidic bleach would also oxidize 1-propanol to propionic acid, but one has to be careful to avoid chlorine formation. I've done bleach oxidations of larger secondary alcohols to ketones, but not to acids.

Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2015 at 07:55

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
I would expect that acidic bleach would also oxidize 1-propanol to propionic acid, but one has to be careful to avoid chlorine formation. I've done bleach oxidations of larger secondary alcohols to ketones, but not to acids.

Do you have a link to such a process? I didn't know you could use hypochlorite/hypochlorous acid for those kinds of oxidations.

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2015 at 08:03

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  

Do you have a link to such a process? I didn't know you could use hypochlorite/hypochlorous acid for those kinds of oxidations.

Not offhand, but I could probably scan that part from a lab manual and email it to you over the weekend.

Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2015 at 08:11

Not offhand, but I could probably scan that part from a lab manual and email it to you over the weekend.

I would be interested in that, but I thought typically you would obtain a chloroalkane rather than a ketone or carboxylic acid.

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 16-4-2015 at 08:19

1-propanol can be reacted with an aqueous solution of potassium permanganate and sodium hydroxide, oxidizing the alcohol to propionic acid which is neutralized immediately by the sodium hydroxide. The permanganate itself is reduced to manganese dioxide, which can be filtered out. The remaining solution can be boiled down until it crystallizes, and the crystals of sodium propionate can be treated with sulfuric acid(or another acid if you don't mind water) and a distillation of the propionic acid can then be carried out.

The 1-propanol can also be oxidized with potassium or sodium dichromate and sulfuric acid, but that's a little bit more messy. I would imagine that the dead reaction mixture after the reaction(which is very, very exothermic) could be heavily salted with sodium chloride and the propionic acid could be extracted with ether or chloroform.

[Edited on 4-16-2015 by Amos]

The first procedure is actually the one I had in mind. It would be so much easier, as you end up with insoluble that you filter off, and a soluble, which is the salt of your desired product.

You could also extract the propionic acid in the first procedure using an organic solvent, as is done in the second, if you don't want to have to run a distillation.

Personally, I would start with calcium propionate that can be purchased here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2-lbs-1kg-Calcium-Propionate-Food-...

[Edited on 16-4-2015 by Loptr]
Ramium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2015 at 11:49

The 1- propanol method sounds much easyer. i think i'll try that:)

Ramium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2015 at 14:57

I have worked this out so far

C3H8O + KMNO4 = C3H6O2 + ?

Could you please help complete and balance the equation?

Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2015 at 18:35

I have worked this out so far

C3H8O + KMNO4 = C3H6O2 + ?

Could you please help complete and balance the equation?

I believe the net reaction that takes place is this one:
4 KMnO4 + 3 CH3(CH2)2OH = 4 MnO2 + 3 CH3CH2COOK + 4 H2O + KOH

The solution is made alkaline because it increases the reaction speed and promotes selectivity, according to wikipedia. The base is not needed necessarily, but otherwise it will take quite a long while. The reaction's yield is limited, as the decomposition of potassium permanganate in water is catalyzed by acids, bases, or manganese dioxide, so an excess of permanganate is a must for complete oxidation of the alcohol.

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2015 at 09:27

Quote:

Scanner's down, but here: http://www.chemistry.mcmaster.ca/~chem2o6/labmanual/expt7/ex...

http://ochemonline.pbworks.com/f/03_bleach_oxidation_handout...

http://goose.ycp.edu/~khalliga/Courses/CHM%20236/Spring%2020...

http://www.brynmawr.edu/chemistry/Chem/mnerzsto/Labs/Experim...

When we did this in the lab (OT story ahead), it was as a lab exam. The students were supposed to come in, do the experiment without speaking, and hand in their product. The alcohol was measured out for them in flasks at the front of the lab (this was explained to them at the beginning). One student ("J") came in late.

About half an hour into the experiment, I noticed that there was still a flask of alcohol left on the cart, so I recounted the students, and wondered why there was still a flask left- I was sure there was the right number of flasks at the beginning. Then J came up to me, complaining that their reaction was smelling odd (it was full of green-yellow gas, too, but J hadn't noticed). Upon cross-examination, J explained that they had weighed out the alcohol (pointing at the jar of sodium sulphate, there to be used as a drying agent), and followed the directions to the letter.

Aright, J, *here* is the real alcohol, now start over. J managed to oxidize the alcohol, and then needed to extract the ketone with dichloromethane, and wash the extract with water, then with saturated sodium chloride.

So J pours in some solvent, sees it separate into two layers, keeps the lower layer, and then throws out the top layer. Right down the sink (you can see what's going to happen, don't you?). Then J adds water, and....only one layer forms.

What happened? J is perplexed again. "I added the dichloromethane," J says, pointing at the bottle of saturated sodium chloride. This salted out the ketone, which floated to the top, and was washed down the sink. Naturally.

So J now has about an hour left to write up the lab quiz and hand it in, while the other students are doing their distillation. "Can I have some more alcohol to start over?"

NO!

Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2015 at 17:56

Sounds like J was a handful. Those reactions are certainly interesting, and I'll probably end up utilizing them later on if I can't find a cheaper oxidizer. I didn't see anything in the resources that described oxidizing primary alcohols, but there's no reason it can't at least be tried!

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 13:24

According to this: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222458939_The_oxida...

Primary alcohols will be oxidized by bleach not to the acids, but to the esters....

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 14:36

According to this: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222458939_The_oxida...

Primary alcohols will be oxidized by bleach not to the acids, but to the esters....

The solvent was acetonitrile:acetic acid (3:2), not for everyone, that. Reported yields were generally good. Wonder if this works also with the straight alcohols. Or perhaps using acetone as a solvent?

Interesting find.

Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 04:38

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

The solvent was acetonitrile:acetic acid (3:2), not for everyone, that. Reported yields were generally good. Wonder if this works also with the straight alcohols. Or perhaps using acetone as a solvent?

Interesting find.

The same paper is available in the rhodium archives, it was discussed for it's potential use in preparing benzaldehyde briefly.

I've always wanted to find more information about it, especially the properties needed in the co-solvent(acetonitrile) and what alternative solvent systems were tried besides the one included.

I kinda thought the choice of solvents were to ensure it stopped at the aldehyde/ketone but I couldn't find any related info to confirm/deny.

Acetone would not work as a solvent as it will react readily with hypochlorites, it's one of the more popular methods of preparing chloroform.

[Edited on 22-4-2015 by Mesa]
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 05:31

Yep, that was discussed very briefly here. Benzyl alcohol is more expensive than toluene in the States, so I'm looking for ways from toluene, if anyone has a good source of benzyl alcohol though, let me know. I've got about 40ml left so I can do some more experimenting with this method.

I did some experimenting with this a few months back and I managed to get around a 70% yield of crude benzaldehyde I think, I'm not entirely sure because I never measured it precisely. From memory, I didn't use any acetonitrile and I used significantly less acetic acid than a 5x scale up would require based on the paper and it still seemed to work. Because of the relatively small scale, I couldn't distill the product due to the lack of glassware small enough. I can dig up my notes on the exact molar ratios and procedure I used if anyone is interested.

EDIT : Nevermind, I actually used the amount of acetic acid called for.

[Edited on 4-22-2015 by gdflp]
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2015 at 06:24

Sure. I assume you used a liquid bleach as the hypochlorite, the majority of solvent in the reaction consequently being mainly water. Do you know what pH was prior to adding the benzyl alcohol?

Acetic acid is so polar that I'd think solvent extraction should be possible in some respect. If this is not the case, is there any reason NaI or metabisulphate couldn't be used to isolate/purify as their adducts?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top