Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Washing Procedure
APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 16:13
Washing Procedure

This is a possibly dumb or uninformed question, but I'll go ahead with it. I've been pondering the usual procedures of organic synthesis, and I wonder if using separate portions when washing a product is really necessary, but I'm not sure. For example, to me, it seems like 3x washes of 50ml could be supplemented with one wash of 150ml just fine as long as it was mixed or shaken 3x as long. One drawback I can foresee is that if you are neutralizing a product, you cannot tell as easily if it needs further neutralization. But if you are working with a procedure known to be reliable and successful, would replacing a few separate washes with one larger wash affect it adversely if at all?

"Damn it George! I told you not to drop me!"
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 16:50

Multiple washes are better. They build on each other, because successive washes only need to remove what was left behind by the ones before them.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 16:56

Dissolution or extractions from solvent to solvent operate on an equilibrium, like pretty much everything else. Each successive wash has less total solute to work with and therefore an easier time dissolving more of what's left behind. Kind of like how a compounded interest rate accumulates more cash in an account than a simple interest rate.

APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 17:10

Ahh, ok, I see how that can make a difference. How much of a difference does it make though?

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 17:31

As an example, let's imagine a compound for which the eq'm constant for organic = aqueous is 4. If you extract 50 mL of the organic solution with 50 mL of water, the concentration in the aqueous phase will be four times that in the organic layer, so you've extracted 80% of it (leaving 20% behind). Doing this three times means you've left behind 20% of 20% of 20%, which is 0.8% of the original.

If you extract once with 150 mL of water, the concentration in the aqueous phase will be four times that in the organic layer, but since there's three times as much aqueous solution, you'll have twelve times as much substance in the water. You'll leave behind one-thirteenth of the original compound in the organic phase, which is 7.7%.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 17:33

Thank you very much, I understand now.

Go To Top