Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: a possible oversight by meth cooks ?
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 01:22
a possible oversight by meth cooks ?

everyone who has read the hive,rhodium or vespiary files,knows that drug chemists are an ingenious lot.They come up with amazing reactions and procedures.
but sometimes they can be quite stupid. Like this :
many must be familiar with the phenylacetone synthesis via phenylacetic acid and acetic anhydride.The anhydride is made by passing ketene through acetic acid
instead of doing all that,why couldn't they just react ketene with benzylmagnesium chloride to get phenylacetone ?(I agree the yield of the anhydride method is good,but still)
is it an abnormal reaction of benzyl grignards
I found an article on such abnormal reactions
so is the Mg method even possible ?

Attachment: austin1932.pdf (967kB)
This file has been downloaded 1069 times

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 03:55

I dont know about the possibility, but how many people in general work with ketene?
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 07:34

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
I dont know about the possibility, but how many people in general work with ketene?

Possibly a lot less than people who use pyrrolysis with an acetate salt for phenylacetone production. They dont care about the bad yield, its a lot less work, and they still get what they desire, so its enough for them.
Thats just my opinion, from knowing some people who are that desperate.
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 14:14

How is this not in detritus?
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 14:30

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
How is this not in detritus?

Because it's an interesting topic with actual uses and because you're not a moderator.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 14:47

Well, this seems to me to be a thread discussing chemistry, and different novel routes to phenylacetone. Your of the opinion that it should be detritus because its target product is a well known and very restricted precursor to an illicit drug? But Cou, I was under the impression that discussion of procedures for CNS active compounds and their direct precursors is perfectly acceptable on this forum, so long as the discourse is scientific, not "cookery or spoonfeeding," and is not motivated by obvious desire to get high or make profits. This thread is certainly discussing clandestine drug chemistry and the ingenuity of its practitioners as they attempt to circumvent the obstacles of controlled and restricted reagents, but it does not seem to be obviously nefarious in its goal, is not written in stupid "cook" lingo, and it appears that an attempt to understand and discuss the chemistry involved was made so IMHO it seems within our guidelines.

While p2p most likely has no use in "legitimate" amateur chemistry, the ability to think outside the box in order to work around unavailable or difficult and/or expensive reagents in order to achieve success is very much applicable to the amateur home chemists struggle.

*edit* What Molecular Manipulations said...
:P

[Edited on 1-4-2015 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 15:05

@CuReUS
Good question.
Now I wonder as well.
Darkstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 22:46

This idea was mentioned here in an old thread on Grignard reactions with acetic anhydride to give ketones. (see second post) Apparently benzylmagnesium chloride + ketene would give poor yields. (one poster thought so, at least)

Also, according to the paper Rhodium posted, benzylmagnesium chloride + acetic anhydride gave phenylacetone in 52% yields. It might be worth mentioning, however, that the reaction needs to be carried out at pretty low temperatures. (-70°C in the paper) To be honest, though, if you're going to use benzylmagnesium chloride, unless the yields with ketene are actually somewhat decent, it seems like it'd just be easier to react it with dry ice to get phenylacetic acid and then go the usual PAA + acetic anhydride route.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 01:41

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
, but how many people in general work with ketene?
Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  

Possibly a lot less than people who use pyrrolysis with an acetate salt for phenylacetone production.

then I must say that you both have not been in touch with clandestine chemistry.In the old days,almost every cook had a ketene generator at home,and the hive and DEA website are full of pictures of home made ketene generators.
there is also a story that once a cook was breaking bad when the DEA decided to give him a visit.He didn't want to rot in jail,so guess what he did,he just stuffed the output tube of his K-gen down his throat.He was dead before the cops broke down the door:o
Quote: Originally posted by Darkstar  
This idea was mentioned here in an old thread on Grignard reactions with acetic anhydride to give ketones. (see second post) Apparently benzylmagnesium chloride + ketene would give poor yields. (one poster thought so, at least)

ha ha what can I say,I guess meth cooks aren't fools after all:D
in fact I got the idea while reading this journal
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed026p323
in that they react C2H5MgBr with ketene to get MEK
and the reference for the reaction is
(6) STAUDINGER, H., "DieKetene," Stuttgmt, 1912.

[Edited on 1-4-2015 by CuReUS]

Attachment: reactions of ketene.docx (173kB)
This file has been downloaded 543 times

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 04:49

At best, the jury is very much out on that first sentence. Just because someone said it doesn't make it correct, and the amount of errors made in idle speculation of chemist wannabes on the internet is unquantifiable.

I'm also not sure where you get your information, but everything I have seen over the years points away from your claim that "in the old days almost every cook had a ketene generator."
Acetic anhydride, phenylacetic acid, benzyl chloride and the like were not even not regulated until 1988 with the CDTA amendment to the Controlled Substances Act, so the risk and unnecessary effort of using a ketene generator any earlier is effectively a non-argument.
http://www.dea.gov/resource-center/meth_lab_maps/2011.jpg

After that, pseudoephedrine and ephedrine based illicit syntheses became popular throughout the 90s, resulting in several Controlled Substances Act amendments up through 2005, with a correlated shift in production towards Mexico, which some people have also connected NAFTA and cocaine supply/demand to.
PMC2757051

Other than resourcefulness in reading household product ingredients lists (even less taxing while on stimulants, I imagine), I don't understand the exultation of the clandestine "chemists" as a whole when they generally fail to perform even basic primary literary analysis of chemicals characterized and synthesized numerous decades ago (often reaching 50-60 years ago now at least), and often seem to request an inordinate amount of help in doing so. You are citing an article over a hundred years old now (1912?) and yet these people are "ingenious?" How so?

Other than slight alterations in procedure, I would say you are confusing "drug chemists" with the actual medicinal chemists who "come up with amazing reactions" and usually did so long ago without the spoonfeeding requests I see coming from many of the nonprofessional/legitimate "drug types." Maybe my background has made me a science snob, since the wannabes basically all get weeded out in a trial by fire, but the 'clandestine chemists' almost universally fail to impress in any positive sense of the word.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 12:37

Perhaps I should have said resourcefulness rather than ingenuity, Chemosythesis, as I wasn't going for exultation. I'm quite sure that the run of the mill meth cooks are not performing breakthrough, first of their kind procedures or eludicating reaction mechanisms very often. ;)

I was more trying to reference the type of flexibility and out of the box thinking that many home chemists (not just home drug chemists) often have to employ to work around their limited resources and inability to source needed reagents. This does often seem to require digging up and reverting to adaptations to much older techniques that were pioneered by truely ingenious and creative chemists with limited resources and no Sigma catalog.

All in I can't help but agree with your succinctly put post, as per usual. :P

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 12:54

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Perhaps I should have said resourcefulness rather than ingenuity, Chemosythesis, as I wasn't going for exultation. I'm quite sure that the run of the mill meth cooks are not performing breakthrough, first of their kind procedures or eludicating reaction mechanisms very often. ;)

I was more trying to reference the type of flexibility and out of the box thinking that many home chemists (not just home drug chemists) often have to employ to work around their limited resources and inability to source needed reagents. This does often seem to require digging up and reverting to adaptations to much older techniques that were pioneered by truely ingenious and creative chemists with limited resources and no Sigma catalog.

All in I can't help but agree with your succinctly put post, as per usual. :P

I believe that the true fun/challenge in home chemistry is by preparing rare compounds with only chemicals available in stores. Common stuff like bleach, or hardware store acetone. Suppose you want an uncommon compound such as methyl salicylate. You could just order it from Sigma, and now you have it... but where's the fun in that? More fun to try making it from store-bought chemicals, as a challenge. Aspirin, acetone, methanol

[Edited on 1-4-2015 by Cou]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 13:16

Why on Earth would you use ketene for a reaction that proceeds on acetonitrile? Last time I checked only one of those compounds can kill you by inhalation.

PhMeMgCl + MeCN >> P2P imine

Anyway it's not used because Grignards are too hard for meth cooks.

[Edited on 1-4-2015 by clearly_not_atara]

morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 14:16

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Why on Earth would you use ketene for a reaction that proceeds on acetonitrile? Last time I checked only one of those compounds can kill you by inhalation.

Anyway it's not used because Grignards are too hard for meth cooks.

I agree mostly, ( >95% of the meth cooks )
But I promise you there are meth cooks who are also chemist. I doubt they would use Grignards but the ability is out there.
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 14:31

Meth cooks mostly just follow a "recipe" and don't care what reactions are going on. Sure there's certainly a few who were first chemists and realized the profit they could make, and decided to cook meth, and others probably cooked meth first and then decided they liked chemistry and chose to learn more. However this is the minority, most just want some bank and decide cooking is for them.
Benzylmagnesium chloride isn't that easy to get, and they want as little steps as possible.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 14:46

Quote: Originally posted by Molecular Manipulations  
Meth cooks mostly just follow a "recipe" and don't care what reactions are going on. Sure there's certainly a few who were first chemists and realized the profit they could make, and decided to cook meth, and others probably cooked meth first and then decided they liked chemistry and chose to learn more. However this is the minority, most just want some bank and decide cooking is for them.
Benzylmagnesium chloride isn't that easy to get, and they want as little steps as possible.

Agree in total.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 05:13

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  

and pray tell me dear ,from where you you are going to get acetonitrile.AFAIK,humans don't shit it out.
and even if you got the nitrile and made the imine,you would have to use a non aqueous reduction method(although I have never heard of reducing a grig intermediate),like hydride or H2/catalyst,or your precious imine will get frapped

it isn't that hard either

like BOtanist,I praised the cooks for their ingenuity,I didn't say they were geniuses.And what I meant by saying that they came up with "amazing reactions" was their effort to search for reactions from literature,in a "pre" internet era.Imagine sitting in the library the whole day,with no google to help you and no pdfs to save.It was a tough time indeed and for that they should be praised.Also many didn't know shit about chemistry when they started,but they went on to become decent cooks.They were not taught in Ivy league colleges,with state of the art facilities by nobel laureates.They learnt what they could and they applied it .

[Edited on 2-4-2015 by CuReUS]
karlos³
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 06:19

In a pre-internet era you could just buy the phenylacetone ;).
At least in europe.
Piperonylacetone too.
Methylamine, also no problem, not just then, still no problem to buy.

As for ingenuity, the reaction from bought phenylacetone and methylamine is even described in the organikum.
Just one book to pick, not hours or even days in the library, most pharmaceutic chemistry books also have this "recipe".

Quote:
: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara

and pray tell me dear ,from where you you are going to get acetonitrile.AFAIK,humans don't shit it out.
and even if you got the nitrile and made the imine,you would have to use a non aqueous reduction method(although I have never heard of reducing a grig intermediate),like hydride or H2/catalyst,or your precious imine will get frapped

Just skip the hydrolysis, transfer the imine to an anhydrous methanolic NaBH4 solution?
Its not that complicated.
Also, just buy the acetonitrile, its cheap and an ordinary solvent.

[Edited on 2-4-2015 by karlos³]
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 13:01

I definitely agree with Bot0nist and Cou that being limited in reagent selection can be intellectually stimulating, and solving such a problem is rewarding in itself. I wish it weren't necessary for hobby chemistry, but at least one should try and enjoy what they cannot change.

I knew some undergrads and even a few med/grad school students who at least openly considered supplementing their tutoring money/stipends with illicit synthesis. It wasn't really a common discussion, and I think only a couple probably followed through (one getting caught misappropriating research equipment by their PI during work hours). I have read some trial excerpts where prosecution claimed professional chemists synthesizing illicit chemicals for profit was thought to be rare, and I believe this to be the case for a number of reasons.
Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  

it isn't that hard either

Yet I have seen self-avowed "meth cooks" act as though a Grignard were a 'holy grail' rite of passage for organic chemists, while arguing against people who seemed educated in the subject. Any sophomore level first year organic chemistry student at a community college should have performed a Grignard as part of their academic work. It doesn't take an Ivy League Nobel Laureate trained chemist, and you are quite correct in a Grignard reaction not being all that difficult.

Quote:
like BOtanist,I praised the cooks for their ingenuity,I didn't say they were geniuses.And what I meant by saying that they came up with "amazing reactions" was their effort to search for reactions from literature,in a "pre" internet era.Imagine sitting in the library the whole day,with no google to help you and no pdfs to save.It was a tough time indeed and for that they should be praised.Also many didn't know shit about chemistry when they started,but they went on to become decent cooks.They were not taught in Ivy league colleges,with state of the art facilities by nobel laureates.They learnt what they could and they applied it .
Back in those times, despite a lack of internet access, there were still card catalogs, inter-library loans, and printed ACS archives (that exist today). Literary research was more time consuming, but everyone did it... not just the chemical literati. Ask any Baby Boomer if they visited the library in high school, and they should tell you that they were quite capable of using these systems. Should they be praised too?

The history of most outlaw motorcycle groups, the ones history seems to suggest ruled the meth trade in the 60s on through the 90s, is one of returning veterans. There are rumors perpetuated in outlaw motorcycle circles that the GI bill allowed gang members to attend college enough to learn how to "cook" meth. This makes sense. The knowledge was then passed on in an apprenticeship fashion.

I can't cite this, but you can ask someone in relevant law enforcement and see if they tell you the same thing I've been told. You see this today where most "cooks" caught by law enforcement in rural America, if you ask them, are supposed to smurf for themselves and maybe a couple other people. They often claim to learn the same way. I find this a very different standard from someone who actually learned some chemistry, illicit drug producer or not, which I believe to be pretty rare. People interested in chemistry learn chemistry. They may have additional interest in money, drugs, or whatever... but people solely interested in the above probably don't want to bother really learning chemistry any more than as a means to an end.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 20:38

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
In a pre-internet era you could just buy the phenylacetone ;).
At least in europe.
Piperonylacetone too.
Methylamine, also no problem, not just then, still no problem to buy.

karlos,please U2U me where you live,I might retire there:D

Quote:
As for ingenuity, the reaction from bought phenylacetone and methylamine is even described in the organikum.
Just one book to pick, not hours or even days in the library, most pharmaceutic chemistry books also have this "recipe".

reductive amination was the reaction that kick started the trade,just like the first telephone or car.There were many more developments that can't be found so easily
ex-have you heard of lithium triethyl borohydride or reactions using tetra nitro methane.
Quote:
Just skip the hydrolysis, transfer the imine to an anhydrous methanolic NaBH4 solution?
Its not that complicated.

maybe that's why NaBH4 is a watched chemical
Quote:
Also, just buy the acetonitrile, its cheap and an ordinary solvent.

it is not "cheap" everywhere

by the way,did anyone manage to get the german reference on ketene .Let's stick to the chemistry.

I found something interesting
Quote:
Phenylmagnesiuni Bromide and (A). First Experiment.
-Twenty-five cc. of absolute ether (distilled from a
Grignard preparation) and 8.5 g. (0.06 mole) of the ketene
were mixed. Then 0.06 mole of phenylmagnesium bro-
mide was dropped into it. Following the vigorous
reaction, the soluticin was refluxed for one-half hour, then
stirred with dilute sulfuric acid. The ether layer was re-
moved, washed with dilute sodium carbonate and dried
over calcium chloride and distilled. Vacuum distillation
(11 mm.) of the residue gave these fractions: (1) 70-120°,
3 g.; (2) 120-170°, 7 g. Redistillation of the 3 g. fraction
revealed no constant-boiling material. It distilled be-
tween 90-120' (11 mm.). The 7-g. fraction was chiefly
ethyl a-benzoylbutyrate.'* Si grams of it was collected
at 159-162" (11 mm.). Its Identity was established as
follows: (1) its saponification number was 215 (calcd.
210); (2) it was refluxed for 2.5 hours with a 5% solution
of potassium hydroxide, then ether extracted, the extract
dried and the ether removed. The 2 g. of residue con-
tained some diphenyl but it was largely phenyl n-propyl
ketone. It gave a semicarbazone, m. p. 184-185"

so ketene with phenyl grig will give a beta keto ester and not a ketone directly.the B-keto has to be hydrolysed to get the ketone

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01314a005

[Edited on 3-4-2015 by CuReUS]
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 10:38

Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  

Agree in total.

There are two types of meth manufactures, 1. Cooks whom have been shown a recipe and follow it because that is what they know. 2. A knowledgable person in chemistry who can pick and choose from available starting chemicals .
There are about 13 different methods to produce p2p from over the counter chemicals in natural state or that can be removed easly from a combination of other chemicals. Ketene was just a simple device and yield was not a deciding reason, because the street value was about $ 10,000.00 a pound, so even a 32% yeild gave a return many times greater than the investment.

Thought is an action, which when acted upon becomes work and sometimes art!
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 19-4-2015 at 17:00

Ketene lamp is not just another device, it's just another way to perform suicide. One breath of it can easily be lethal. Along with cyanides, phosgen generators, thionyl chloride, phosphoryl chloride, phosphine, hydrogen sulfide and many other fun chemicals.
LC50 for acetic anhydride is 1,000 ppm/4h, while LC50 for ketene is 300ppm/1min (0.08ppm/1h), just 10 000 times lower. This one should be used only in a well ventilated hood with a gas filter, because without the filter a leakage will kill someone else.
Totaly agree that phenylacetic acid + acetic acid is the easiest and safest way with a good yield of P2P. And AFAIK phenylethanol is not controlled in any way, so you can just go straight via hypochlorite. And even if the phenylethanol is banned - you can use styrene to get either phenylethanol via something like anti-Markovnikov halobromination or Willgerodt-Kindler, so why the hell anyone would even think about handing ketene?
Odor threshold for ketene is about 12 ppm, so you need 30 minutes to become completely dead without noticing the odor.

[Edited on 20-4-2015 by byko3y]
karlos³
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2015 at 21:21

I would say the easiest and safest way is to reduce 1-phenyl-2-nitropropene, also very great yielding?
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 19-4-2015 at 23:13

Yes, I'm just wondering why it is not on the DEA precursors list... but who does sell it? I can't seem to find any major chemical provider who sells P2NP, while you can get a relatively cheap nitroethane after filling end user declaration ;)
And nitroethane synthesis is a pain in the ass, while you can reach the P2P in 3 steps using 100% OTC chemicals. So basically we end up in the 1995 when you could just purcahse the goddamn P2P.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2015 at 05:12

Quote: Originally posted by byko3y  

And AFAIK phenylethanol is not controlled in any way, so you can just go straight via hypochlorite.

how ? I thought hypochlorite was only strong enough to oxidise it to aldehyde.
Quote:
you can use styrene to get either phenylethanol via something like anti-Markovnikov halobromination

even if you do anti marko using peroxide and HBr ,in the hydrolysis step,the carbocation will again form at the benzylic position.You could do hydroboration oxidation though.wonder from where you would get borane;)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top