Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storing acids
insutama
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 07:38
Storing acids

I am about to purchase 3 type of acids hydrochloric acid , nitric acid, and sulphuric acid. Would i be okay to store these 3 acids together in the same Rubbermaid bin ?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 07:49

Typically yes, but that depends. How much of each acid did you purchase, what concentrations are they, and what type of bottles are they in? Placing some weak base on the bottom of the container, NaHCO3 Na2CO3, CaCO3 would all work, will help to neutralize the fumes produced by the nitric acid and hydrochloric acid.
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 07:52

The most important thing about storing acids is the container that holds them. Since you're buying them they should be in a good enough vessel, but not always. Elemental Scientific's sulfuric acid comes in a container than it eats after 6-12 months. The acids wont contaminate each other though, hydrochloric acid tends to escape easily, a little Teflon tape helps a lot though. Sulfuric acid is not volatile and wont escape any contain it doesn't burn through. Nitric is best stored in a glass container with a Teflon lid, it is volatile and can escape it's container, but the fumes are less corrosive to iron, so it wont rust metal like HCl does.
Here's the best thing you could do, put them in your Rubbermaid bin, with a cup of sodium bicarbonate solution in it. Any acidic fumes will be neutralized.

[Edited on 2-4-2015 by Molecular Manipulations]

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 08:00

Do not store the acids in an area with steel/Iron tools, guns, other items you don't want to get rusty... Particularly the hydrochloric acid. Tiny amounts of acid vapors continually escape, even from unopened containers of some types. Best store in a well ventilated, non inhabited area-

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

brubei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 08:27

Do not store them with strong base or overreaction will occurs in case of accident
insutama
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 08:36

okay sounds like good info the percentage is 70% nitric 98% sulphuric and hydrochloric 38%
insutama
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 08:37

How about outside in my backyard shed in a rubbermaid bin with NaHCO3 ?
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 09:58

That should be fine, but still keep anything metal on the other side of the shed. You can place some steel nails or other metal items you don't care about around the bin to test and see if they will rust if you want.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
insutama
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 10:23

okay great thanks for the advice guys what about heat in the summer and cold in the winter ?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 10:44

Shouldn't be a big deal. The hydrochloric acid might fume a little more in harsh heat since the 38% is really close to saturation, but the others will be fine. In the winter the nitric acid and hydrochloric acid won't freeze, but depending on how close to 98% the sulfuric truly is, it might freeze. Warming it up slightly will melt it again.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 10:51

I would add a small amount of distilled water (appr. 30 ml to 1 liter of acid) to the hydrochloric acid, otherwise you will have LOTs of trouble keeping the corrosive fumes away from the surroundings. There is a lot of difference in fuming intensity between 35% acid and 38% acid, while for chemical experiments, the difference hardly is noticed. Even 35% acid fumes quite a lot, but 38% acid will be a pain in the ass to have around.

The other two acids are fine, provided they are kept in glass bottles with suitable cap. The 38% HCl will get pressurized quite strongly in summer, that's another reason to add some water to this to make it a little bit less concentrated.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

cool.gif posted on 2-4-2015 at 10:57

That's a good idea, I've used 37% and it fumes like crazy in the summer, 38% is undoubtedly much worse.
As for sulfuric acid freezing, that wont be a problem, as it contracts when cooling (unlike water), so it wont crack the container if it's glass.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
insutama
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 20:52

so my best bet is storing the acids away from all my other chemicals outside in the shed in the back yard ? i was also thinking of storing it in a rubbermaid bin with baking soda poured all over the bottom of rubbermaid bin but inside my house in a spare bed room closet. Would the acids be able to leak from the rubbermaid bin even with lids on the bottles ? i decided not to get HCL so its just the nitric and sulphuric i have to worry about storing. If its alot safe to store out of the house i will just do the shed plan but if it wont damage anythiing storing it inside in a closet thats hardly ever used inside of a rubbermaid bin it would be alot more convenient for when i need it.

once again i cant thank you all enough for the great advice
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 23:37

If you have just nitric acid and sulphuric acid, then you can keep them inside in a sealed plastic bin, which also has some NaHCO3 inside (I would put that on a small dish, so that you do not have white poweder sticking to the bottom of all bottles).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 00:00

Just a little nit-pick: common washing soda (Na2CO3) is cheaper than sodium bicarbonate, and works excellently for neutralisation. Sometimes it's used in labs for storing larger amounts of fuming nitric acid.
insutama
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 08:40

oh awsome good to know thanks :)
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 13:13

I'd recommend buying safety-coated bottles for all your acids, like these: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z190047?...

Of course buying from Sigma isn't usually possible, but there are other sources. It was just one of the first hits when I searched. Being coated in plastic reduces risk of breakage if you drop the bottle. They are what I use for my acids. I also store all of my acids together in a large Rubbermaid tub with lots of baking soda on the bottom, just like you wanted to do. Works great and I can't detect any fumes outside the tub, even with hardware store muriatic acid in it as well.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 16:09

I worked in chemical distribution many years ago and completed the appropriate transport regulatory quals. it is a fundamental rule of transport that one never ships acids with oxidants. so a customer who orders those 3 acids would receive 2 boxes, the nitric being isolated. if a single carton containing all 3 was damaged (eg forklift strike or fall from height) the resulting mess would be an OHS catastrophe.

still today I store my chems in designated areas

Beginning construction of periodic table display
insutama
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 13:56

Perfect

Go To Top