Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alstonine from Alstonei Boonei
Charlie80
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2015 at 05:44
Alstonine from Alstonei Boonei

I'm trying to extract the antipsychotic alstonine from the plant Alstonei Boonei native to Western Africa. As I don't know natural healers, I have to get it done myself. If I complete the following procedure, will it work?

Extraction of plant material: The fresh stem bark was cleaned, cut into pieces and air dried under shade in the laboratory for 2 weeks and reduced to powder. The dry stem bark was ground to coarse powder in a mortar. Extraction was carried out by dispersing 500 g of the ground plant material in 2.5 L of 70% alcohol and shaking was done with a GFL shaker (No. 3017 MBH, Germany) for 72 h. This was followed by vacuum filtration and extract concentration using a rotary evaporator at a temperature not exceeding 400°C. The concentrate was heated over a water bath to obtain a solvent free extract, which was stored in a refrigerator, at 40°C.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2015 at 06:13

Could it be that the last two temperatures are a factor 10 too high?
Pasrules
Hazard to Self

Mood: Lacking an S orbital

[*] posted on 28-4-2015 at 14:47

I would assume you precipitate pectins from the alcohol (ethanol?) extraction. So you may need to perform a purification. The rotorvap should only need to evaporate the alcohol so check your temperatures as mentioned by Tsjerk. I am not familiar with this compound's solubilities but being organic you should test the melting point once complete to a literature value.
Also look into using a soxhlet extractor as this is common for the extraction of plant based compounds. You should also keep in mind the chirality you want with plant based extracts.

Atropine, Bicarb, Calcium.

Go To Top