Printable Version  
Author: Subject: KClO3 + realgar (As2S3) = bullet primer
smithdotyu
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 6-5-2015 at 06:01
KClO3 + realgar (As2S3) = bullet primer

Hi boys;
I am a Chinese,let me tell you a old Chinese bullet primer formula invented in The Qing Dynasty! it‘s 50% KClO3 + 40% realgar (As2S3)+ 10% glass powder,and it’s use for acupuncture medicine if not have mercuric fulminate or tetracene。

first,make realgar(As2S3) to powder

second,mix the realger with glass powder to make the powder sensitive

third,mix realger powder with KClO3 in water

when the mixture dry,it‘s sensitive!you can use it replace the mercuric fulminate

In WW2,we use this fright with The Japanese
smithdotyu
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-5-2015 at 06:12

but the react make As2O3 so Don't smoke the explosion f log s
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 6-5-2015 at 06:22

This composition is astoundingly similar to Armstrong Mix, and it isn't really surprising at all that it so sensitive. Arsenic is in the nitrogen group along with Phosphorus, and the fact that it is a sulfide makes it even more sensitive. Now that I think of it, it is essentially Armstrong's. They use glass powder in matches to generate enough friction to ignite the mixture. Thanks for sharing this information!:)
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 6-5-2015 at 07:01

Realgar's composition is As4S4.

Armstrong's mixture is Potassium chlorate, red Phosphorus, Sulfur and an anti acid carbonate.

The Realgar mixture is called "red explosive", and has been used for various impact and friction ignited devices for a long time. More sensitive than chlorate:Antimony sulfide, a bit less than chlorate:red Phosphorus.

(Edit)

Table from Shimizu, Fireworks: The Art, Science & Technique
image.jpg - 97kB

[Edited on 6-5-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 6-5-2015 at 07:09

It seems that the nitrogen group elements have a reputation for being highly reactive in chlorate comps. I extracted some Bismuth from Pepto Bismol and I was wondering if the reaction of Bi and KClO3 would be similar to Armstrong's and this "red explosive."
smithdotyu
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-5-2015 at 07:28

thanks you!
and I think the Armstrong Mix is so sensitive so Don’t make too more
Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Realgar's composition is As4S4.

Armstrong's mixture is Potassium chlorate, red Phosphorus, Sulfur and an anti acid carbonate.

The Realgar mixture is called "red explosive", and has been used for various impact and friction ignited devices for a long time. More sensitive than chlorate:Antimony sulfide, a bit less than chlorate:red Phosphorus.

(Edit)

Table from Shimizu, Fireworks: The Art, Science & Technique

[Edited on 6-5-2015 by Bert]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 6-5-2015 at 09:28

Quote:
I think the Armstrong Mix is so sensitive so Don’t make too more

I know a person who lost their thumb from snapping the lid onto a 35mm film canister holding a few grams of Armstrong's mixture.

I had two acquaintances, one of whom was killed and the other badly burned by a chlorate:milk sugar based smoke mixture while manufacturing large smoke devices for air show use. Please look at the table, note the sensitivity relative to chlorate:Antimony sulfide? Would you mix 10 kilo batches of THAT by hand?!

I personally have a permanent scar caused by a seemingly tiny amount of red explosive.

Chlorate mixtures demand respect and careful hazard evaluation.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 15:11

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Chlorate mixtures demand respect and careful hazard evaluation.

That applies manyfold to all energetic or pyrotechnic mixtures/preparations! I do have sizeable scars on my right hand from messing stupidly with a nail gun round and suffered heavy burns on my left hand from trying to recover a KMnO4/Al type charge. Luckily my senses and limbs are intact...the Great Maker shows mercy to the stupid one sometimes through lessons of pain, but one has to redeem itself by learning from it. Pain has embedded multiple lessons in my innermost fabric and I do not intend to forget about it.

[Edited on 7-5-2015 by markx]

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......

Go To Top