Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Are all other sciences only discussed in Whimsy?
SupFanat
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:05
Are all other sciences only discussed in Whimsy?

So if it isn't clear whether the question is "chemical" or "physical" there's no place to discuss it. Right?

(I think, it's difficult to get access to Whimsy. If it's difficult it doesn't make much sense because I'm unable to write 1000 ideal quality posts. In fact, I don't even know how to you define "high quality" posts. Your definition might be different from mine.)
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:18

Yes. ScienceMadness has turned out to be mostly ChemicalMadness, yet you can post what you like wherever you want.

If the responses to your posts from the people in this forum are not to your liking, there are Other forums.

There are a Great Many forums out there : SM is just one.

SM is still the BEST though.

Stick around and post stuff about Physics, maybe be amazed.

[Edited on 16-5-2015 by aga]

SupFanat
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:20

I never said that the responses are bad.
But I can't understand how the "quality" of posts is measured. Could you possibly explain it?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:23

If my reading of the situation is correct, when this board was first conceived about 12 years ago, the intention was that it would cover all sciences with an emphasis on chem. It turns out that it has been almost exclusively chemistry, and, as far as I know, unparalleled on the internet.
Other sciences are discussed, but mostly as a sideline. Philosophy of science and the scientific method and occasionally some mathematics are discussed too. Much of this happens in whimsy because it does not easily fit into the other forum categories. Miscellaneous is the other place to look. The reality is that such side discussions are generally a bit more light hearted or curiosities rather than serious discussions.
If you want access to Whimsy then ask. I vaguely recall reading that you could ask after you reach a post count of 50 but I could be entirely wrong about that. It hasn't been rigorously applied anyway.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:24

The only 'measure' is what those that read the post think, which includes the moderators.

SupFanat
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:26

OK, so no place for physics, biology, mathematics...
Thank you for your answers.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:28

Quote: Originally posted by SupFanat  
That is not correct. There is space for them and even potential to create separate subfora for them. Thus far there hasn't been the perceived need or demand because of the level to which this board attracts chemistry discussion.

[edit]"this" not "thos"

[Edited on 16-5-2015 by j_sum1]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:30

I dunno what the OP wants.

If it is Adoration : post something adorable.

If it is a dedicated Physics site : Build one.

If it to change SM to PM then no.

SM is mostly chem, open to any Scientific discussion, and i like it that way.

No that would be so stupid as to stand in the way of change, just that SM is fine as it is so far.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:33

@ aga
Quote:
SM is mostly chem, open to any Scientific discussion, and i like it that way.

I couldn't agree more
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:36

As my Age advances, i grow tired of Youth.

As a Youth, i would have Said the same thing as SupFanat just did.

You will not change the fabric of the Universe with words SupFanat.

Say something significant and even us old farts may stand up and listen.

Edit:

Be a bit humble, do something yourself that Others would Laugh at, then ask Here and you may well find it to be a whole new world.

I for one am a bit bored with non-enthusiasts who just want to make X, do not know how, then ask here.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:42

Old fart you think?
You only have two years on me aga and I categorically reject the old fart label. But then, I do work with youth.

edit
and yes. doing far excels talking which far excels complaining.
Alas, my doing for today is unlikely to have more chemistry than a stint in the kitchen making marmaade.

[Edited on 16-5-2015 by j_sum1]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:56

Would you kids just post something already. I'm trying to take a nap.:P

Personally I like all the physics, and philosophy type threads. Chemistry is boring if you are simply creating compounds for the sake of creating compounds.

That's why I just read the threads vs partake in them. I already know how to make pasta 147 different ways.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 17:11

As others have stated, no (edit: no, not correct), but how much a hobby can some of these subjects be? Genuine question.
Most biologically oriented sciences, including biochemistry, are difficult to perform at home due to things such as equipment, BSL partitioning and regulations, conditions for life. Even with rapidly dividing organisms, I doubt most people could properly run a tissue culture room or prevent contamination, store a master culture on liquid nitrogen, nor get a CO2 regulated incubator maintained before calling it quits. Nor are neg 80 fridges cheap. At least in chemistry, not everything needs a separate fridge running up your electric bill. That leaves you with yeast brewing from what an can tell.

[Edited on 16-5-2015 by Chemosynthesis]
SupFanat
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 01:24

My question is about satellite pictures of Earth.
It's science but not chemistry.
Because of unknown reason, Whimsy isn't easily accessible (was it spammed in the past so that administration chose to protect that forum this way?).
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 01:59

So if it isn't clear whether the question is "chemical" or "physical" there's no place to discuss it. Right?

The place exists and is called Miscellaneous: "Discuss topics pertaining to mad science that do not fit in the other forums".
Personally, I would be interested in more mathematics (mostly of the discrete and fundamental kind, less so calculus/simulation) but you can't expect a very competent audience.

I miss the mineralogy/geology that came up every now and then. :(

Just post about your topic of interest and see what happens. Moderators will move the thread if misplaced.
Quote:
(I think, it's difficult to get access to Whimsy. If it's difficult it doesn't make much sense because I'm unable to write 1000 ideal quality posts. In fact, I don't even know how to you define "high quality" posts. Your definition might be different from mine.)

Whimsy, as the name implies, is for non-scientific content. My interpretation is not that whimsy is protected from the outside, but the other way around.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 03:01

you pretty much just have to show you are a real member, willing to abide the rules and interact with others, sustain that level of activity for a short period of time and then ask permission to whimsy. I believe it is outlined in the forum guidelines? nope, guess not, it was in the main page right under the whimsy forum heading as a descriptive line... "Everything under the sun. If you want access, please contact Polverone or woelen." when I registered, I asked Polverone and was told to just be a participating member, show a little patients and check back in a month or so. access was later granted as promised. there is, as stated above, a place for sciency type non chemistry questions and discussions: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/forumdisplay.php?fid=... , but I see you have found it :) best of luck

turd: I agree " My interpretation is not that whimsy is protected from the outside, but the other way around. "
SupFanat
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 04:18

Thank you for answers.
The reason why I found this forum in the first place is scientific interest of me.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 04:26

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  

As others have stated, no (edit: no, not correct), but how much a hobby can some of these subjects be? Genuine question.
Most biologically oriented sciences, including biochemistry, are difficult to perform at home due to things such as equipment, BSL partitioning and regulations, conditions for life. Even with rapidly dividing organisms, I doubt most people could properly run a tissue culture room or prevent contamination, store a master culture on liquid nitrogen, nor get a CO2 regulated incubator maintained before calling it quits. Nor are neg 80 fridges cheap. At least in chemistry, not everything needs a separate fridge running up your electric bill. That leaves you with yeast brewing from what an can tell.

[Edited on 16-5-2015 by Chemosynthesis]

That's kind of a narrow take on the matter, I think. Maybe someone wants to test the effect of a specific chemical on the growth rates of fish. All that takes is a statistically significant number of fish and the ability to keep them alive in controlled conditions. Maybe someone wants to try to isolate a strain of oil-eating bacteria. All that takes is collected bacteria and the right growth medium. Maybe it would be difficult for them to do genetic analysis, but a lot of biology experiments aren't overly hard, don't require nearly the cash flow of a good chem lab, and I think it's more likely an amateur might run across something legitimately new than in chemistry, just because most simple chemical reactions and structures are so well catalogued and life is so diverse by comparison. Isn't biology one of the areas with a startling number of high school publications?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 08:04

;
Quote: Originally posted by Etaoin Shrdlu  
Isn't biology one of the areas with a startling number of high school publications?
If so, that is heavily skewed by internships and grants catering to high school students, and I have always seen a high school summer intern type in labs as outreach. Not too hard to get a middle author status. I don't know about hobby biology regulations, but even zebra fish require IACUC approval wherever I have worked.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 08:46

zebra fish

They crossed a zebra with a fish !?!?

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 09:20

;
Quote: Originally posted by Etaoin Shrdlu  
Isn't biology one of the areas with a startling number of high school publications?
If so, that is heavily skewed by internships and grants catering to high school students, and I have always seen a high school summer intern type in labs as outreach. Not too hard to get a middle author status. I don't know about hobby biology regulations, but even zebra fish require IACUC approval wherever I have worked.

The point isn't whether high school students get grants, the point is that biology is clearly a science where even high school students can get involved in publishable research. And the vast majority of hobby chemistry isn't trying to approach publishable to begin with, so why hold hobby biology to a higher standard?

And hobby biology regulations? What? In the US at least, I am aware of no animal welfare laws that apply to fish (If we call a hobby lab a "research institution," I thought all cold-blooded animals were exempt from the AWA). If your jurisdiction does regulate, step down to invertebrates, where basically nobody cares at all. Perhaps one day the requirements for publishing any sort of animal research will be as draconian as the requirements for legally working with scheduled drugs, but it won't actually stop someone from being able to do science, it'll just prevent publication.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Old fart you think?

Tongue was firmly in cheek, referring more to the Perception than the reality.

Last night i was dancing in a cage in a nightclub with 3 beautiful women.

Edit:

My wife and two daughters.

Somehow they escaped the cage and i got left in there.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 12:58

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
zebra fish

They crossed a zebra with a fish !?!?

What? You didn't know this???

images.jpg - 8kB

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 13:14

That's a cross-dressing cow, not a cow crossed with anything.

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 17-5-2015 at 09:35

I think the board world do well to have a math and other sciences sub-forum.
Of course the other boards that cover those subjects specifically are more likely to do a good job.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top