Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: stepper motor power supply
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 31-5-2015 at 00:51

Simplest way to find out is to measure from the 0v rail to the case of the PSU.

Chances are that it already is tied to 'earth'.

Much safer to say '0 volt rail' than 'negative terminal' when talking about PC power supplies.

They normally have +12, +5, +3.3, -5 and -12 volt outputs so the black wire can't really be thought of as the 'negative' lead anymore.

Bright Spark
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2015 at 04:00

I don't know the watt rating of my NEMA 17 stepper motor

Measure the curent when its running, I would power it from something beefier to do this, it will give you a good idea

Can the negative terminal of the SMPS be tied to an earth ground?

I suppose it could but I must ask why you want to?, its probably an isolated supply so you lose the isolation if you do this (it becomes earth referenced)

Chances are that it already is tied to 'earth'.

I very much doubt it, in fact I would be amazed, they use HF transformers to give isolation because it is a safety requirement for many markets
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 31-5-2015 at 05:27

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  

Can the negative terminal of the SMPS be tied to an earth ground?

Quote: Originally posted by Bright Spark  

I suppose it could but I must ask why you want to?, its probably an isolated supply so you lose the isolation if you do this (it becomes earth referenced)

My stepper motor driver circuit gets its pulse circuit power from the 5vdc tap on my salvaged computer power supply. This has an earth ground.

I have not bought an SMPS yet. But if I do, I want to know where to terminate the negative lead.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 03:06

Could you not just use the -12v and +12v on the atx power supply to obtain the 24v? I'm sure I've read of this being done

Edit: I've found an instructable that combines 2 computer power Supplies to make 24v that may also be useful to you. http://m.instructables.com/id/Two-ATX-PSU-One-juiced-24-V-DC...

[Edited on 1-6-2015 by NedsHead]

[Edited on 1-6-2015 by NedsHead]
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 20:47

I guess I do have a -12v tap on my PSU as well as the 12v tap. But I understand that it is only suitable for up to 0.3a so this may not be useable for driving my stepper motor.

Getting a 2nd PSU looks like an option. The downside would be all the table space required.

Thanks for getting this information.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Bright Spark
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 15:43

Hi Magpie

I have an old computer PSU and I just tested it and the earthed case is connected to the negative rail of the PSU so the power supply is what we call earth referenced, I am no expert on computer PSU's but you can bet that they will all be like this

the SMPS you showed will have an isolated ouput, so there will be no connection between the mains earth and the output (if it even has an earth connection) so if your motor has an earth connection then yes you are correct in that you can connect the earth of the stepper motor to the negative terminal and that negative terminal to the mains earth and you make your whole system earth referenced

It doesn't really make a difference if you do or you don't but an isolated supply can be classed as superior to an earthed system because its actually quite difficult to get a shock, not that 24VDC is going to shock anyone but this holds for higher voltages, most shocks are to earth and an isolated system can't pass current to earth so its actually better

I would be concerned about the power rating you need, a computer PSU can deliver a lot more than 50W so I would say you need to measure the current draw at max output before spending any money

Can you post some pics up so I can see the motor, a picture is worth a thousand words

Regards

BS

[Edited on 2-6-2015 by Bright Spark]
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 16:37

Thank you BS for that information.

The reason I asked about the negative lead from the SMPS (if I buy one) is that in my reasoning it would have to be terminated at some location so that the motor circuit is completed.

The stepper driver module 5v (from the PSU) is grounded to earth through the PSU as you say. That's the first thing I checked by doing a continuity check with the ground plug of the PSU mains connection.

Could the negative lead of the SMPS be just left dangling?

Here's the long thread detailing the development of my stepper motor stirrer. Page 3 has a picture of my Mineba NEMA 17 stepper salvaged from a Savin copier. As far as I know it is a garden variety NEMA 17, I just don't have much data for it as it is not an off-the-shelf Mineba but is proprietary to Savin, I think.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=41539&...

I did measure the amps by using my oversized amp dc meter (1 amp gradations). I grabbed the shaft and held it firmly enough to nearly stop it. The reading was 0.5a, at 18vdc (or possibly 24 vdc). At any rate I think these little motors can provide a lot of torque (like 30 in-oz), likely way more than I need for stirring.

My stirring is done in small RBFs like 500 ml or at most 1000 ml. The small necks limit the size (width) of the agitator blades (I use a folding type). Therefore, I don't ever envision challenging the torque capability. Therefore, the amp draw should be low.

The picture is not the best (too dark). If you want I can post a better one.

Bright Spark
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 03:05

Magpie, I really like your enthusiasm, its impressive

In the link

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=41539&...

Is that a nameplate for the motor? its hard too see but it looks like it

If you measured 0.5A then it certainl;y sounds like its less than 50W and that power supply should be fine, you can connect the earths to the 0V as discussed but you could also leave it unearthed as discussed

Have you ever considerd making a PCB?, you have the skills and you can get software for free if you know where to look

I recommend Eagle PCB, if you are interested send me a message and I will help you out

I am really impressed and very soon I will be doing all the things I talked about, I have done some things but lately I have had a lot on so I am just educating myself, its going to take me a while for sure

Edit

I think you should buy a benchtop power supply Magpie, some are available really cheaply, they yhave adjustable output with current limiting and I think for you its what you need

$50 will get you a lot and it will come in handy for all kinds

[Edited on 7-6-2015 by Bright Spark]
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 08:38

Magpie, I really like your enthusiasm, its impressive

Thank you.

Is that a nameplate for the motor? its hard too see but it looks like it

Yes, there is a nameplate but it isn't readable anymore.

Have you ever considerd making a PCB?, you have the skills and you can get software for free if you know where to look

No, I only build these things to support my chemistry hobby. It's too easy to go off on tangents as it is. ;)

I think you should buy a benchtop power supply Magpie, some are available really cheaply, they yhave adjustable output with current limiting and I think for you its what you need

$50 will get you a lot and it will come in handy for all kinds

You are probably right here. Instead of buying a single purpose SMPS for $20 I should apply that money to a good power supply with controllable voltage/controllable amperage.
This would be much more versatile.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 14:11

Just pick up a used PC PSU and it will be absolutely fine.

PCs don't run too well on dirty power, and your stepper motor will be a Lot less fussy than several million transistors switching at very high frequencies.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
22-11-2023 at 19:29
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top