Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: AU Competition #1 ~ Copper Carnival
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 18:51

Latest version of rules is now available through the same link on the first post. It now includes the rules regarding hydration and intermetallics.

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 18:51

Just checking because I didn't see this in the rules or the thread anywhere...
Are we allowed to start with any copper compound? And does our starting material count as one of the compounds, or will we have to make it again somewhere in the chain for it to count?

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 19:00

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Just checking because I didn't see this in the rules or the thread anywhere...
Are we allowed to start with any copper compound? And does our starting material count as one of the compounds, or will we have to make it again somewhere in the chain for it to count?

Yes, you can start with a copper compound (or copper metal) and yes, the starting compound counts in the final tally.

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 19:04

I think it is funny that when a competition comes up there is a frantic search for loopholes or ambiguity in the rules. It says something about the pedantic nature that we have acquired.

Thanks for organising this one TAS. I will watch closely.
starman
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 19:04

Mmm ligands ? EDTA, NTA, EDDA etc

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 19:13

As in a Cu-EDTA coordination complex? Yes, as it says in the rules:

Quote:
Complexes are permitted if they have a name and are verified. If a complex that cannot be verified is created as an intermediate to a verified compound; that is acceptable as long as the unverified complex is not counted.
(ie. When making Chevreul's salt from CuSO4 and Na2S2O5, an unknown green complex is created preceding the formation of Chevreul's salt, this complex cannot be counted, but is permitted as an intermediate).

Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 19:25

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I think it is funny that when a competition comes up there is a frantic search for loopholes or ambiguity in the rules. It says something about the pedantic nature that we have acquired.

Thanks for organising this one TAS. I will watch closely.

Yes, it is amusing. You're welcome j_sum, and thankyou to you for your feedback and suggestions.

mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 13:39

As it's written, a submission is judged on and only on the number of distinct copper compounds in the chain, is that correct? (ie, subjective novelty of compounds/techniques might get cool points but won't be scored )

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
szuko03
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 13:43

I love this idea of contest this will make our hobby that much more valid! Especially since you guys in Australia have issues getting glassware at least this kind of gives you a reason should someone ask. "Oh I am entering an amateur chemistry contest about synthesizing copper compounds here take a look!" is better then "I just like turning one white crystalline solid into a blue crystalline solid, no they are not active in any right nor are they worth anything in fact doing said experiment just takes money and time and the final product I just put in a container and store for no apparent reason"

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 14:17

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
As it's written, a submission is judged on and only on the number of distinct copper compounds in the chain, is that correct? (ie, subjective novelty of compounds/techniques might get cool points but won't be scored )

Yes, the main prize will be awarded to the person with the most distinct copper compounds. However, I will throw in a small secondary prize for the person with the most obscure copper compound and/or technique.

Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 14:28

OK, competition opens in about 1.5h.
The rules are now set, no further changes will be made unless a problem is bought to my attention that needs to be rectified.

Good luck!

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 14:48

Quote: Originally posted by TheAustralianScientist  
The rules are now set, no further changes will be made unless a problem is bought to my attention that needs to be rectified.

Good luck!

Does that mean we're not supposed to have started any of our reactions yet?

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 16:25

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

Good luck!

Hehe... oops

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 17:03

I guess that means I'm also guilty...

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 17:32

Since we're taking hydrates, are double salts an option as well?

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 17:50

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  

They should be, unless that's what is meant by "intermetallics".

Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 18:02

If they are allowed, wouldn't this make the competition very easy?
I was under the impression that it was fairly easy to create hydroxide and carbonate double salts with many other transition metals, thereby making the competition basically just a race for who could collect the most transition metal compounds...
Furthermore, it seems that these compounds would be difficult to name or identify, as it appears there is little information available on them.
IMO it would be simpler if these compounds where not allowed.

**amos has informed me that they aren't as easy to synthesize as I thought. Maybe they should be allowed? Maybe I should go do some more research...

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by Pinkhippo11]

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 18:47

I don't know of any hydroxide or carbonate double salts with copper. And the ones that I do know of aren't that easy to synthesize.

Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 19:07

Good luck!

No, it means you can now submit entries!

Quote: Originally posted by Pinkhippo11  

If they are allowed, wouldn't this make the competition very easy?
I was under the impression that it was fairly easy to create hydroxide and carbonate double salts with many other transition metals, thereby making the competition basically just a race for who could collect the most transition metal compounds...
Furthermore, it seems that these compounds would be difficult to name or identify, as it appears there is little information available on them.
IMO it would be simpler if these compounds where not allowed.

**amos has informed me that they aren't as easy to synthesize as I thought. Maybe they should be allowed? Maybe I should go do some more research...

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by Pinkhippo11]

Hmm, not sure about the double salts. I'm kinda leaning towards no, but if you want to persuade me, I'll listen.

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by TheAustralianScientist]

Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 21:51

OK, I've been persuaded on the double salts matter. They are permitted. I have also added a clause to the hydration rule that states:

Quote:
If a hydrate is created that is not documented, evidence of the hydration must be provided in the form a photo of a weighing scale readout of the compound.

Hydration can then be calculated based on the stoichiometry used in synthesizing the compound.

Also a couple of changes to the submissions section that allow for the permission to not dry compounds. The changes are:

Quote:
...theoretical maximum yield and the actual yield (only if dried) of the compound accompanying each.

Quote:
A photo of each compound (ideally dried, but not mandatory)...

The new rules can be found in the same link in the opening post of the thread (thanks Woelen for editing).

Hopefully we have ironed out all the flaws in the rules now and they won't have to be changed again. :P

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by TheAustralianScientist]

Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 02:24

Just a reminder that there is a secondary prize for the most interesting compound synthesized/technique used.

Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 06:49

I have two questions:

(Question 1) Can we supplement yields with reagents we already have, or do we need to do the first reactions on a massive scale so we have some material to work with at the end?

Example:

1. I make tetraamine copper II nitrate
2. I convert it to basic copper II carbonate
3. I convert the carbonate to the chloride with HCl.

As long as I demonstrate that basic carbonate can be made from TACN, can I add basic carbonate I already have to boost the starting quantity in reaction 3? Is the spirit of the chain to use the SAME copper ions for the whole chain, or to show a chain of reactions?

(Question 2) The rules clearly state that the same compound cannot be used twice. To clarify, the following is illegal, correct?

1. Cu + HCl + H2O2 -> CuCl2
2. CuCl2 + H3PO4 -> Cu3(PO4)2
3. Cu3(PO4)2 + (HCl + NaF) -> CuF2

Because step 3 can be broken into:

Cu3(PO4)2 + HCl <-> H3PO4 + CuCl2 (illegal)
CuCl2 + NaF -> CuF2 + NaCl

Because even if this was done first:

HCl + NaF <->> HF + NaCl
Cu3(PO4)2 + HF <->> CuF2 + H3PO4

This would still exist in equilibrium:

NaCl + Cu3(PO4)2 <-> CuCl2 + Na(n)PO4(x)

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 07:06

Just to be clear, what do you mean by intermetallics?

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 07:19

Quote:
I have two questions:

(Question 1) Can we supplement yields with reagents we already have, or do we need to do the first reactions on a massive scale so we have some material to work with at the end?

This was addressed. Intermediate compounds can be supplemented.

Quote:
(Question 2) The rules clearly state that the same compound cannot be used twice. To clarify, the following is illegal, correct?

1. Cu + HCl + H2O2 -> CuCl2
2. CuCl2 + H3PO4 -> Cu3(PO4)2
3. Cu3(PO4)2 + (HCl + NaF) -> CuF2

Because step 3 can be broken into:

Cu3(PO4)2 + HCl <-> H3PO4 + CuCl2 (illegal)
CuCl2 + NaF -> CuF2 + NaCl

I think that because you're not isolating or claiming CuCl2 as a product twice, this is allowed.

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 09:11

Just to be clear, what do you mean by intermetallics?

Compounds of copper and another metal in the 0 oxidation state, such as CuZn or Cu6Sn5.

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top