Author: Subject: Sulfuric acid storage
dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2015 at 02:50
Sulfuric acid storage

Concerning Bottles, canisters ect.:

I know glass is the way to go. I once got a batch of such bottles here

http://www.merckmillipore.com/waroot/xl/100731_Sulfuric%20ac...

for free, and when I buy sulfuric and nitric acid I always fill then in such bottles and discard the HDPE.

However, they have this thin Teflon sheet (without cushion) that is pressed against the glass. I wonder how good they seal.

If fresh 95% sulfuric acid is stored in such a bottle for maybe 10 years, would you expect it to loose strength by leaching water?
Same for HNO3.

(I did not mention HCl, this stuff is hopelessly volatile, however you can always buy new stuff, it does not fasll under the new EU registration laws)
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 26-6-2015 at 04:56

I have two large HDPE bottles of 70% HNO3 that I have had stored for 4 and a half years now which are always keot tightly sealed and I have not noticed any difference in the quality of the acid, it is still as good as when I first got it.
Sulphuric acid may be different though as it is hygroscopic.
dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 13:15

Quote:

I have two large HDPE bottles of 70% HNO3 that I have had stored for 4 and a half years now which are always keot tightly sealed and I have not noticed any difference in the quality of the acid, it is still as good as when I first got it.

HNO3 should be hygroscopic too, but sulfuric obviously more.

I wonder if the filling level will rise visibly?
Or does the acid vaporize at the same time?
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 08:00

I haven't noticed a change in the acid level or quality in the whole time I have had them.
They still fume when I open them but it doesnt seem like the vapours are building up in there.
fdsailor
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 05:49

I too am having a problem with thinner HDPE containers with (hardware store grade) H2SO4, and agree that glass is the way to go. The trick is, while I can economically get boston bottles with PFTE lined caps, they are still glass and can be broken in mishaps (I know, transport them in a bucket...). They do make the plastic coated glass bottles, but they are wicked expensive. Has anyone experimented with coating their own glass bottles, with the goal of at least minimizing the disaster that would ensue from dropping a bottle (or more likely it getting knocked over on a counter shortly after pouring, etc? I'm thinking of spraying a coat or two of clear Plasti dip on the the bottles, top and bottom. http://www.amazon.com/Performix-11209-Multi-Purpose-Coating-... . Thoughts?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 07:48

If you're storing these acids for such lengths of time, you don't really need them do you ?

Go To Top