Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electronic lab notebook
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 11:35
Electronic lab notebook

I've been very lazy about documenting my experiments in my physical lab notebook, so I started to look into electronic ones, and was quickly overwhelmed by the number available. So, does anyone have any experience with these, and could anyone recommend one that is preferably free with a mobile app?
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 14:06

I've decided to use my spare computer, and a video cam. I spend sooo much time on the computer between work, learning random sh^t, ordering parts, invoicing, forums (4), emails... I don't want to ruin my fun by adding more computer time to it.

Maybe just a note book w/ a cam in it. Whatever they call those things... Tablet?

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 14:52

Return to the Notebook and pen/pencil.

They need no electrical power.

battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 17:39

Maybe a GoPro like camera? There are some Chinese alternatives (like those SJCams) that are rather cheap, then just plug into the PC and done. There are also wifi enabled models of these cams so they could stream directly to your computer so it doesn't have to stay in harms way.

[Edited on 8-7-2015 by battoussai114]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 19:20

That's what I was thinking... Something like a Go Pro, and microphone.

Then the moment I turn green, and my cloths get to small will be recorded. Big green guys don't write too well.
Everything else is "high tech" so the experiment recording process may as well be.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 19:49

I don't think a GoPro or other video recording device would be a good idea because your lab notebook is something you should be able to quickly refer to to look at past experiments. If you use a GoPro then your recording will contain hours and hours of bubbling flasks and dripping filter papers, with very little useful information in between.
A tablet could be a viable idea, but I personally have trouble drawing diagrams with them so I personally use an A4 art notebook.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 20:05

I like a standard lined notebook. I keep it in a leather jacket that my son gave me for Christmas. I go through and number the pages first and provide 3-4 pages in front for a table of contents.

I write a short paragraph in my notebook before ever starting the experiment. It describes the object, scale, and reference for the work. I figure that if I can't do this I really haven't planned very well.

I enjoy writing in my notebook almost as much as doing the experiment. These books have come in handy many times when I wish to recall something in detail from years past. I'm on volume VII.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top