Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Picric Acid and the Mystery of the Red Goo
zeppelin69
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-5-2008 at 15:20

I can't think of any nitrations where ammonium nitrate is not a suitable subsitute for alkali nitrates. In fact, in nearly every case that I can think of, it is better. The only time I would use an alkali salt over AN is for distilling nitric without a vacuum, but thats another thread...

I am one of the original members of http://www.dererumomnis.org/bbs/
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 00:14

What you think doesn't square with experimental results for nitrations of a particular precursor like aspirin
anyway. For whatever reason ammonium nitrate does not seem to be as good as either potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate in the nitrating activity with sulfuric acid on aspirin. The same results apply to entirely different nitrations. For whatever reasons, certain combinations of a particular nitrate with sulfuric acid will be found to work better for nitration of a particular precursor to produce a particular end result and the yield and purity can vary significantly depending on whether you are using the optimum combination and nitration conditions or not. But there definitely isn't any correct generalization that ammonium nitrate is an equivalent or superior substitute for an alkali nitrate in nitrations in general which simply don't lend themselves to such generalizations. Experiments will show you that the combinations of reactants and ratios and conditions just aren't so general as to fulfill that expectation it should make no difference. Chart some experimental nitration results and you will see this is true, in contrast with your theory as to what should occur.
zeppelin69
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 12:26

If you have any of these charts I'd very much like to see them, they sound interesting. If you don't have charts, could you at least post the data you are basing this on?

I am one of the original members of http://www.dererumomnis.org/bbs/
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top