Author: Subject: BUILDING MY OWN SYNTHESIS LAB
curcumin
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 24-7-2015 at 13:10
BUILDING MY OWN SYNTHESIS LAB

Hi Guys!!!
I am Pakistani PhD scholar.
I am building my own Organic synthesis Lab at my home, Since the university doesnt give a F@#$%... :mad:

I will be synthesizing curcumin analogues via modification of central diketone moiety (hydrazones etc.)..as well as modifications at aryl rings on sides (azomethine substitution, amidation, bulky group substitution, etc.)...

I need most economical equipments & chemicals although I will be purchasing it all from pakistan....Regarding equipments such as chiller, heating mantle , magnetic stirrer.. plz do tell if there iz any way that I can have it prepared from any engineer

I need you guys to tell me all details with prices of complete equipments & glassware that will be required (round bottom flask, reflux condenser, glass columns, TLC Plates, chiller, heating mantle magnetic stirring bar, magnetic stirrer etc.)

Along with that I will also be needing a complete list of all chemicals that I will be needing a complete list with prices of all chemicals required (solvents, reagents, possible reactants,etc.)

1 more important question is regarding Microwave-Accelerated Synthesis...what is basic difference b/w Microwave-Accelerated Synthesis & conventional synthesis?? If all reactions can be simply carried out in domestic microwave ....should I then not waste my money on glass wares & equipments...
Regards
I hope someone will help
I m also attaching pdf files for further assistnace

Attachment: eur jour med chem.pdf (369kB)
This file has been downloaded 749 times

Attachment: 53297-53297.pdf (556kB)
This file has been downloaded 407 times

Attachment: Recent advances in the investigation of curcuminoids.pdf (569kB)
This file has been downloaded 305 times

Attachment: Isolation, synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of some novel curcumin derivatives as anticancer agents.pdf (74kB)
This file has been downloaded 329 times

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 24-7-2015 at 13:26

Quote: Originally posted by curcumin  
I am Pakistani PhD scholar.
I will be synthesizing curcumin analogues via modification of central diketone moiety (hydrazones etc.)..as well as modifications at aryl rings on sides (azomethine substitution, amidation, bulky group substitution, etc.)...

Great !
#1 You know what you're doing then.

... I will be purchasing it all from pakistan

Presumably you mean you are happy to buy from anywhere in the world, yet you will make the payment from Pakistan.

Chinese glass, hotplates, chemicals all from Ebay.

Poland is good for organic chem these days as well.

I need you guys to tell me all details with prices of complete equipments & glassware that will be required (round bottom flask, reflux condenser, glass columns, TLC Plates, chiller, heating mantle magnetic stirring bar, magnetic stirrer etc.

Along with that I will also be needing a complete list of all chemicals that I will be needing a complete list with prices of all chemicals required (solvents, reagents, possible reactants,etc.)

Conflicts with #1

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 24-7-2015 at 13:31

How is it that you act like you know what you're doing, yet at the same time you need a detailed list of every single thing you need to set up a lab, and demand that we make it for you? Nobody here expects such special treatment and attention, especially not first time posters. If you want help, feel free to ask nicely for suggestions, but nobody is going to hand you a complete list of everything you could possibly need on a silver platter.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 24-7-2015 at 13:44

You're being too harsh zts16.

The OP needs :-

DIW 50p
NaOH 200p
HCl 400p
Some plastic beakers 12p
A Spoon 1p
pH papers 150p
An idea of what they want to do
An appreciation of who we are
Some Manners

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 24-7-2015 at 14:20

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
You're being too harsh zts16.

The OP needs :-

DIW 50p
NaOH 200p
HCl 400p
Some plastic beakers 12p
A Spoon 1p
pH papers 150p
An idea of what they want to do
An appreciation of who we are
Some Manners
Sorry, I suppose I did go off on him a bit.

[Edited on 7-24-2015 by zts16]

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 24-7-2015 at 14:40

Language and lack of Guile may be a factor here.

I speak only a few basic words of Urdu myself, and could not write the OP in Urdu.
(Would need a different keyboard for starters).

Having re-read it a couple of times, i think it is simply a young guy wanting to set up on his own, for unknown reasons/motives.

Things like "I need you guys to tell me all details with prices" are language/culture errors.

Use translate.google.com for this : "Ponme una cerveza" and it sounds like a rude way to ask for a beer, yet is completely normal in southern Spain.

Taking the language barrier into account, the OP can do his own research on where to get stuff and prices thereof : i am certainly not going to look all that up for free (as if i'd know what was needed).

As the OP has internet, just browse Ebay and work it all out for yourself perhaps ?

Chinese Glass, Chinese/Polish reagents.

Please report back when you are up and running.

[Edited on 24-7-2015 by aga]

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 26-7-2015 at 13:09

Yup. You can find most of the items you require on e-bay. Physically, they may be located in China. For you, that may be a convenience. China is nearby. Shipping might be less expensive for you, than it is for most of us.

Also, some Chinese suppliers are less than reputable. E-bay, to a certain extent, forces them to act properly. Chinese quality is not always great, but if you explore the Science Madness Site, some products have been reviewed here.

Nice area to do research. Tumeric is inexpensive, and widely available.
Some exotic variations of curcuminoids, might also be easily synthesized from Vanillin or Vanillin-like materials.

Best Wishes.

[Edited on 26-7-2015 by zed]

[Edited on 26-7-2015 by zed]
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 18:42

I recommend checking out laws for home chemistry in your country and make sure there is no conflict with the presence of a lab where you live. make sure all your reagents are in legal quantities and hazardous materials are properly taken care of. Also get a list of everything you need and then price everything, instead of spending all your money and realizing you're only halfway done buying what you need. Also buy legit safety equipment before buying chems and handle everything, even used equipment with safety gear on, I've gotten sick from whatever chemicals were previously used on the equipment i've bought before.

>implying I would do any of this but the safety (half the time), since i've survived so far

Oh.

Go To Top