Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Startup chemical distribution company
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-8-2015 at 18:19

Good luck with your enterprise. But you need to learn all about HazMat shipping if you're going to offer to sell and ship chemicals- And that's a mind numbingly large swot of information in the USA.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Brom
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-8-2015 at 18:46

That is what I'm concerned about. I don't even know if this will be feasable considering shipping requirements of certain items. Can you suggest a site to start looking into this?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 31-8-2015 at 12:48

Well, in the Real World, not everything is done according to the Laws and Strictures of the land ...

Business is all about Risk versus Reward.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 13:59

I love the game of risk :)

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 14:30

There's Risk and Certainty.

Selling drugs generally is done with a Certainty of being Deaded or Banged Up.

Business is different in that there is a Risk of being Inhumed or Banged Up.

Edit:

Oh ! The Board Game called Risk !
Yes. Good game. Me likes too.
Doesn't last too long like Monopoly.

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by aga]

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 12:45

That's hilarious that you compare it :) Have you ever heard of ...riskopoly? It's the capitalist's favorite game ;)
http://www.gilwood.org/riskopoly.htm
It's a lot of fun, and lasts about as long as a normal monopoly game.
I played it with 5 people, and we formed factions really fast... I won.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 15:02

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
That's hilarious that you compare it :) Have you ever heard of ...riskopoly? It's the capitalist's favorite game ;)
http://www.gilwood.org/riskopoly.htm
I played it with 5 people, and we formed factions really fast... I won.
Jeez, to me that looks pointlessly complicated and frustrating! But nowhere near as much as this...

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 15:18

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

People die of old age in Monopoly games before anyone wins.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 16:25

Quote: Originally posted by Brom  
That is what I'm concerned about. I don't even know if this will be feasable considering shipping requirements of certain items. Can you suggest a site to start looking into this?

Look into getting 40 hour Hazmat certified (HAZWOPER). Cost is $300-$500, and you will need yearly refresher training (at a reduced cost).

Once you are 40 hour certified and you have a business then you can ship hazards materials through most of the larger shipping companies. You apply for shipping through the company and if you have the credentials they send you a box with everything you need to get started.

You will likely need more stickers before you can do anything. Shipping is easy, take the shipping book (usually supplied), look up the chemical. The book will tell you the quantities you can ship along with recommended packaging. You an always go to a higher grade of packaging. Most hazardous things require special hazmat shipping charges. Packaging itself can be spendy, most things we shipped at my last company involved an All Pack box which is essentially a box inside a metal container inside a bag wrapped in absorbent material inside of a box (actual configuration may vary). The box itself has certain testing on it which lets you bypass some regulations and restrictions.

It's not so hard as one might expect so long as you take it step by step. However shipping is still costly and many amateur chemists might scoff at paying $20 for shipping even if that is what it legitimately costs.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 13:43

Thanks for the info BromicAcid. This is an example of the packaging I have for my acids do you think it will suffice?

image.jpg - 1.4MB image.jpg - 1.3MB image.jpg - 1.6MB image.jpg - 1.8MB
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 13:51

I can not comment on hazmat items as I have never shipped them. I ordered hydrochloric acid, among other things, from united nuclear and they shipped it in what appeared to be a converted paint can. It arrived and i had to pry the top off of this paint can to reveal the bottle in a cardboard thing surrounded by packing peanuts. I thought this was an ingenious design considering you dont want it to break.

This was not a hazmat shipment though. My guess is packaging is different when it comes to actually shipping hazmat. Thick walled cardboard with a snug fitting insert would seem good but again never did it. For what its worth it looks good to me ;)

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 13:55

If I were you, I'd throw in some styrofoam peanuts to fill the gaps, and possibly some absorbent material as well. Looks like it may still have a bit too much freedom to wiggle around with its current configuration.
I second szuko03 on the paint can idea. I've never had to ship anything that way, but if I was shipping something somewhat hazardous, that's definitely what I would use. You can buy brand new quart or gallon size ones at Home Depot et al for a very affordable price.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
ganger631
Hazard to Self

Mood: Plata o plomo

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 22:44

Are you planning to ship Internationally? If so, you have my business.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 23:41

@ szuko03 & zts16

These boxes are performance rated and certified when packed as intended by the manufacturer. If you add peanuts to the box and the instructions don't tell you to do that, well, if something happens at that point it is all on you.

@Brom

First check the packing group and restrictions in the federal regulations, 49 CFT SS 072.101 (I am attaching the line for hydrochloric acid for reference) After you have the packing group (and if the material is even shippable plus any restrictions on air travel) then compare to the packaging itself. You can only use performance rated packaging for hazardous materials (as far as I know) and the setup you have there looks like it was certainly performance rated (I was part of getting a box configuration performance rated at one point). Sometimes each box will come with its own paperwork. No matter, if the box is rated then it will be stamped on the box. I am attaching a key on how to read the stamp from the FMCSA. So you know your packing group, you know your restrictions on amounts, and you know your rating for the box. If you meet those checks then you should be in business (so long as your carrier is certified).

49CFR.jpg - 54kB Packaging.jpg - 97kB

CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 09:23

Not to be mean, but it appears that you are singularly unprepared for the type of business you propose.:(
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 13:15

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
Not to be mean, but it appears that you are singularly unprepared for the type of business you propose.:(

Not mean, just pessimistic and unconstructive

CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 16:33

I did not intend to be mean, but I certainly am pessimistic about the OP's chances for success. If I have anything constructive to say, the OP needs to do more of his own research into his business requirements, and not rely on his fellow forum members doing all of his business research for him. It seems to me that his true forte is to ask questions.
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 17:46

Exchange of knowledge requires both questions and answers. That's why I am here. I started this thread to inform about the products I have and get some input from anyone who is familiar with the subject and wants to comment and is willing to give advice. I was not asking to be spoon fed if that is what you are implying.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 18:12

There are many barriers to entry into the chemical industry. In many cases the laws and regulations are so deep that you need someone in the business to even point you in the correct direction. Honestly, this is a forum, and this topic is well within the bounds of constructive.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 18:28

Well...
If you want an exemplar, take a look at this guy:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=61604

Some time running an ebay business. Some background in the field. A clear business plan. Contacts and suppliers already worked out. And then, expanding his business by canvassing the support of SM. I think he will stay afloat. But it is clear that his market is greater than just us home chemists.
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 18:58

I am just planning on doing this in my spare time. I have no intentions of quitting my day job and that's not the reason I am doing this. But I do believe this could be a lucrative and enjoyable endeavor and provide a valuable service to people. Thanks for all the advice it has been very helpful.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 12:02

Brom,

I ship books and equipment all of the time. I also work with and receive chemicals daily as well as work with many hazmat compounds. The rules for shipping most hazardous chemicals are very complex and the penalties can be very high for shipping things incorrectly. Some non-US companies can get away with it, as the US feds cannot arrest them in China easily, so they can ship things in the wrong way with little risk. The Chinese also blew up a port recently, killing hundreds, due to such processes.

But to be honest, having dealt with chemicals for 30 years and shipping things for 10, I try to avoid shipping anything that has any hazard, as it is very hard to do correctly, and the risks are high if you either are caught, or, even worse, your package leaks in shipment. Liquids have their own set of extra rules. I had had packages coming to me leak, and that can create up to a $5000 fine for the shipper plus liability if you dissolve the UPS truck with your package. Not trying to be a kill joy, just know the facts, and they make it hard to do business in the US. But you can ship non-hazmat solids readily, as long as you follow the rules. So selling salts, inorganics, metals, and other solids is not a big deal. Just selling silica gel, alumina, carbonates, and others would be a good business and there are people here that might buy from you. But acids, liquids and hazardous chemicals are a pain to ship and require a fair amount of time, effort and money to handle.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 12:17

Never ever be idealistic in Business.

If it doesn't make money, it does not work.

If it makes a Lot of money, then you can afford some altruism.

Even Ideals cost quite a lot these days.

Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 15:08

Didn't we have this conversation already Aga? I would be selling my products for a profit of course. And after looking into this I see the restraints placed upon individuals trying to do such a thing. I talked to someone at U.P.S. and they were saying something about having some haz-mat certification and a whole bunch of junk. I figured it would be expensive and require specific packaging but I had no idea that they just won't do it. Now I'm not saying I'm not going to do all that I need to to be able to ship haz-mat but now I understand why people would say I can't do this. I guess I have some I told you so's coming.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 12:43

Huh, I'd planned on asking these questions a few years from now. Salts, then, are best, I guess. I have a unique market idea, and will probably start with ebay for a while (though the market idea wouldn't work well on ebay itself). I'm also planning on keeping such a business as a project; having a job for a good while. If it doesn't work out, it won't be too big of a problem. 30 years to umbrella corporation, though :) Eventually going to buy out Aldrich... :P
I suggest the business idea be kept simple, and grow slowly. You'll get more foundation, and find your niche.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top