Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ebay distillation apparatus
ganger631
Hazard to Self

Mood: Plata o plomo

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 22:18
Ebay distillation apparatus

Hello, i am an amateur chemistry enthusiast and recently i have saved up enough money to buy a set of distillation apparatus. I looked up ebay to see what they have available and found out most had no brands and are from china. Here are a few links to the product that i am looking at.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/500ml-24-29-Glass-Distillation-Appara...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/500ml-24-40-Glass-Distillation-Appara...

My primary usage is to synthesis acids and distill alcohol. Given its significantly lower price compare to other brands. It raises my suspension, is it heat resistant?how well does it handle thermal shock?
I have also looked up alchemy glassware which is located in my country and was wondering if their products are any good? If you have any advice or experience please comment.

Thanks,

[Edited on 5-9-2015 by ganger631]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 22:58

I have bought a few things from deschem and never had any problems. I believe their glass is generally good.
That said, I recently bought a reasonable quantity of glassware through a contact in China and not via ebay.

There are several reasonable ebay sellers. deschem is one. nanshinsales, laboy glass, ben0315 and interlabglassware all seem to be prretty good.
http://stores.ebay.ca/id=1107631897?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:M...
http://stores.ebay.ca/id=1139589438?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:M...
http://stores.ebay.ca/id=460741242?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:ME...
http://stores.ebay.ca/id=1097494229?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:M...
http://stores.ebay.ca/id=1172388100?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:M...

More important though is to spend some time working out exactly what you need. Both of those kits are reasonably small and you might regret a condenser that is only 200mm. There are different configurations possible for the still head adapters. Both of the ones you linked have the thermometer built in. A separate thermometer adapter is probably more versatile. You also need to consider what kind of stand you have and how you will heat it as well as how you will handle the cooling water.
Buying the cheapest thing you can find without considering all of these factors is unlikely to give you the satisfaction you want from your gear.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 23:20

I've had a few kits such as these from ebay, and remain happy with them.

They have distilled many things such as ethanol and nitric acid with no problems.

The main differences between those two listing appear to be that #1 says it has Thick walled RBFs and #2 costs an extra $9.25 for the pH paper (based on the postage prices i'm shown).

Don't be beguiled by the keck clips - they break/dissolve/melt eventually, so you end up buying a bag of 20 at some point.

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 02:35

That still head looks problematic, I didn't even know they made them with the thermometer adapter incorporated, it could be a problem if you want to distill acids, if it was my money I would find one with a separate, all glass thermometer adapter as j_sum1 suggested
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 02:57

I have both types - one with the thermometer seal integrated, the other with it being a removeable ground glass piece.

Both have been OK distilling acids.

One thing to note is that the seal isn't brilliant, and on one occasion it 'let go' of the thermometer, which crashed down into the boiling flask full of hot conc H2.SO4

Luckily nothing broke.

These days i clip a clothes peg to the thermometer or wrap a rubber band around it to ensure this cannot happen.

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 03:38

do you need to wrap them up with PTFE tape when you're distilling acids aga or are they made to handle it?
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 03:46

I too have both the intergrated and glass joint thermometer adapter still heads, as part of the kit from deschem. Very happy with it too, the only time the glass breaks is when I do my best impression of a moron and drop it on concrete.

I have distilled nitric acid many times (not quite 25kg of nitrate salt yet NedsHead!) and use PFTE tape around the built in adapter, which works great for me. One time I did forget to switch out the rubber o-ring, and it did not survive. The thermometer never fell but black crap was oozed over the still head.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 04:33

I guess they are better than I thought, Fortunately I haven't broken any pieces of my distillation kit yet but I'm sure when it dose eventually happen it will be a vital part to its operation like still head or vac adapter.

Tdep, you'll have to take up rocketry as a side hobby to make use of all the KNO3:)
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 07:39

I just wanted to repeat/emphasize part of the above,
the distillation kits all look usable and good value,
but the TOTAL cost will be much higher;
Retort stands, rods, clamps etc
Heating ... hotplate, mantle, ideally stirrer etc.
Cooling ... condenser and/or receiving flask
later it is likely that you will want vacuum and/or fume extraction,
and vacuum assisted filtration.

I'm no expert but
I doubt that many people have wished that they had bought a shorter condenser
I do not think that a short Vigreaux column is very useful, some sort of packed column is probably better.

regarding heating,
as an example, suppose you want to distil water,
with a 10:1 reflux ratio, and want a modest 600ml per hour product.
A total of (10+1).600 ml = 6.6 litres of water converted from liquid to vapour at 100C
2270 kJ/kg x 6.6 = 15 Mj = 4.16 kW average per hour !!!!!
Of course I chose water which is pretty much worst case,
solvents such as ether would require about 700W for the same rate of productiion and reflux

please remember I'm only one year experience so these are just ideas for your consideration.

szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 13:45

This is good to know as I was thinking about getting one of these premade kits from one of those chinese sellers. However I have been finding a lot of great deals on Ebay for brand name glass. Sure it is more expensive but one of the things i struggled with in college was the names of all those glass pieces but looking on Ebay and ordering them slowly is definitely going to teach me the names and what they are used for.

I was worried about the quality of glass from those cheap kits the last thing anyone needs is a poorly made flask exploding. I am also a big believe in being prepared so I was going to order one of their more elaborate kits just to have a bigger inventory of glass. Good to know they are recommended.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
ganger631
Hazard to Self

Mood: Plata o plomo

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 14:54

Thanks for the tips and suggestions! Should i also invest in a heating mantle or should i just purchase one of those cheap stove(sand bath, oil bath)? Will it be enough to distill sulfuric acid? Sorry i know it is not related to the topic.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 18:09

Most heating mantles and oil baths will not be sufficient to boil sulfuric. A sand bath with a good heater can work but you really need flame or high temp heater or heating mantle.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 22:37

I use a kitchen hotplate to concentrate sulphuric battery acid and distill nitric acid, works great, mine is a 2400watt hotplate though
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 00:12

One HUGE difference between my cheap hotplate and my cheap solder pot
is that the hotplate uses a bi-metallic switch to regulate temperature
and the solder pot uses a phase control circuit (light dimmer) to regulate power.
bi-metallic switches make sparks,
which is not helpful if you are distilling flammable solvents etc.

Since ordering a 50mm pot (150W) and receiving a 38mm pot (100W)
(just big enough for my B10 glassware)
another member ordered an 80 mm pot
and I notice that a 100mm pot (300W) is now available, that is what I would go for.
e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kailite-KLT-310-Solder-Pot-Melting...
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 02:21

Mark my words - chinese will rule the world soon. Why would you buy condenser made in EU/US for 80$ when you can buy a similar condenser made in China for 25$? It's made from the same glass, it has relatively good joints. Well, in fact I've bought my condensers for 4-10$, and believe me they all are of excellent quality, cheaper ones were in use, brand new for 10$ are just as good as those made by Schott Duran.
So we should realize that today a borosilicate labware with ground glass joints is the most low cost option, and nobody in fact would bother making labware from any other glass then borosilicate, because it's more convenient to solder small joints of the borosilicate glass - it will not crack and it requires relatively low temperatures (1000-1100°C) unlike a pure quartz glass (1500°C+). Also, the quartz is viscous as hell - you can't make a smooth surface.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 07:42

A good source of quartz glassware would be very nice to find but I have looked and haven't found one. If someone else has please let me know.

Go To Top