Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cheap Silica Source? (Column Chromatography)
+ ION
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 12:54
Cheap Silica Source? (Column Chromatography)

A brief search of the web (and SM) leaves me disappointed with the price of column chromatography packing, at least what I can find (looking for flash/gravity silica).

Any suggestions? With the exception of a listing on Amazon of all places, I can't seem to find better than $100 per kg.

Appreciate any suggestions/tips.

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 16:23

Check out seller "Chem-fox" on eBay. They sell it decently priced.

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 05:18

cat litter? I think I have seen 100% silica kitty litter in supermarkets/pet shops
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 06:21

Quote: Originally posted by NedsHead  
cat litter? I think I have seen 100% silica kitty litter in supermarkets/pet shops

Yes, but 100% silica gel according to supermarket label standards is probably not the same as 100% according to the standards one might want in a lab.
I know for example that they often contain colouring and a fragrance. The research I have done suggests that it is nigh on impossible to find out exactly what is in the packet.
I intend to get some for a few different applications. But I would not trust analytical chromatography to a supermarket brand.

[Edited on 7-9-2015 by j_sum1]
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 07:53

Kitty litter is usually low silica due to the concern over silicosis.
FriedBrain
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 11:29

For column chromatography you need "high purity" Silica Gel, normally with a mesh of 60 to 400 and a pore size of 60 Å, or the seperation will be crap. I'm not an expert in column chromatography, but what I know is that Kitty litter is as good for cc, as the normal use for it :D

You always have time to do some chemistry, but maybe you just have other priorities?
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 13:52

Is silicate glue (a.k.a. waterglass) sold in your country? If yes, it's a cheap source of high grade silica. Take a big beaker, pour waterglass into it, and add ethanol or acetone. You will see a white rubberous precipitation. Filter it off, wash away with water and calcine. What you've got is pretty good dry silica gel.

Note: do not try to press or sculpt the precipitate while it's still rubberous. That's how you make boiling chips.

[Edited on 7-9-2015 by ave369]

Smells like ammonia....
papaya
National Hazard

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 14:32

Add alcohol? How it's supposed to work?
battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 16:52

Quote: Originally posted by papaya  

By dissolving the solvent and the binder leaving the non-soluble silica behind? Its a guess so beter wait for ave to answer.
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 18:35

Quote: Originally posted by battoussai114  
Quote: Originally posted by papaya  

By dissolving the solvent and the binder leaving the non-soluble silica behind? Its a guess so beter wait for ave to answer.

MrHomeScientist has a youtube video called "Make pure silicon dioxide" where he covers the making of SiO2 from water glass. I haven't watched the video recently however I believe he adds acid to the precipitate, then washes and calcines.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 26-9-2015 at 07:30

Of course Brauer has a relevant entry, from the usual water glass solution. "Gels prepared according to the above directions are especially useful for chromatographic purposes."

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 9-10-2015 at 12:37

I have no idea how it works, but it works. I've prepared silica gel with this method. Apparently, organic solvents somehow catalyze the decomposition of silicates.

Smells like ammonia....
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 9-10-2015 at 13:56

I got kitty kitty litter cheap stuff no ingredients on pack but 3 x less price than branded stuff, all packs said clumping a few said no perfume (I got a no perfume one) all said clumping, I got home opened it to discover I have 5Kg of.........Fucking clay! :(

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2015 at 14:26

You need to look for cat litter crystals, not just straight up cat litter. Some is tinted light blue whereas some is pure white. Some is also white with the occasional blue crystals here and there, I think they change color when kitties box gets ripe. Either way they are big and most likely easy to remove. Some crystals also have indicators to show if the cat has urinary problems or something like that, I'd avoid those too.

image.jpeg - 35kB

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 9-10-2015 at 15:24

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
You need to look for cat litter crystals, not just straight up cat litter. Some is tinted light blue whereas some is pure white. Some is also white with the occasional blue crystals here and there, I think they change color when kitties box gets ripe. Either way they are big and most likely easy to remove. Some crystals also have indicators to show if the cat has urinary problems or something like that, I'd avoid those too.

In our local super markets they dont have ones with windows in the bags. Most say zeolite or a few say contains silicon but these are normally branded and alot more than what i paid for my multi size participles of bloody clay!
I will find a use for it and probably make the silicon dioxide with waterglass, I might have found a cheap source of that, I dont want to reuse the column packing and have a lot of extractions lined up.
Thanks for the info at least now if I see someone with a cat who has a stinky tray with that in it I can ask where they got it :D

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2015 at 19:25

I still have a few older chromatography quality silica gel cartridges (mostly small ones), mostly for obsolete flash systems, that I would be willing to give away to anyone willing to pay the postage, must be within the US, don't want to ship white powders overseas... Mostly first come first serve, but if people have specific research projects (not involving making meth) they will get preference, as will people who have published work here or bought stuff from me before. Supplies are limited, no rain checks. These are mostly SG60, Merck type flash grade silica, no fluor indicator, as they are not designed for TLC. Some are in 5 ml plastic cartridges, a few are in long plastic tubes (old Biotage design), and some are in SPE cartridges. They are likely deactivated due to age, so they would be good for polar compounds... If anyone has an old HPLC in their basement, I might be able to help you as well, but not many of those in people's garage (except maybe benzylchloride).
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 18:59

I found even more of these flash columns, some have almost 1/2 pound of flash grade silica gel in them, if anyone wants some to play with. For anyone who wants to do real chromatography, this would be a way to be get started.

Go To Top