Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Organometallic Reactions
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 21:30
Organometallic Reactions

What cheap materials are inert to the following? Could I use plastic? Rubber? Polyurethane based epoxies?

Disilane
dimethylzinc
phosphine
triphenylarsine
trimethylaluminum
trimethylgallium
trimethylindium
an undecided germanium organometallic

i'll have to experiment some, but it would be nice to know what material i can use for the valves. There are some little parts in them that are much more easily made with things like plastic or rubber, and using epoxies makes things a lot easier too.

Oh.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 08:21

glass and polythene
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 13:31

What about sealants? Like silicone

Oh.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 14:02

To be honest, using the terms 'cheap' and 'organometallic' sounds like a disaster in progress.

What exactly do you wish to synthesise ?

That would give a better basis for suggesting things.

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 15:42

I have to admit that I agree with aga. Those materials are all pyrophoric, some remarkably so, and quite a few have significant toxicities. In addition, phosphine is a gas. You will need an inert atmosphere at all times when handling them, and a complete set of Schlenk glassware is going to be required to handle them safely, in additions to septums and other accessories to move and store them safely. Unfortunately, none of the above are cheap. If the compound decides to catch fire, none of the materials you proposed are fire resistant, thus your apparatus, or at least parts of it, will burn and expose the rest of the compound to the atmosphere, compounding your problems. Essentially, you should aim to make as much of your apparatus as possible glass.

SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 17:43

Doing MOVPE to create solar panels, the multijunction and concentrated kind. It is an atomic layer deposition method, very small amounts of these chems are used and nitrogen is bubbled through them to push vapors into the very thin and flat reactor, then they leave the reactor into incinerators or scrubbers or both. I am mostly worried about the triphenylarsine, however, it seems to be one of the least toxic arsenic "precursors" and is far more easily handled than its alternatives, as it is a solid.

Theyre not so expensive if you make them yourself. Thats also what the semiconductor industry does, they make their own stuff after ordering the ingredients for these because it is far cheaper than hazmat shipping something that can explode easily and decompose without air conditioning.

i merely mean to use polyethylene type materials for connections and parts of the valves.

Oh.
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 19:39

The phosphine can be generated by dripping water onto calcium phosphide. If this too oftenly results in fire I'll just have to use another phosphorus precursor

Oh.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 23:47

Quote: Originally posted by SupaVillain  
Doing MOVPE to create solar panels

Wow ! Looked up what MOVPE means, and that is intense stuff !

(metalorganic vapour phase epitaxy)

Have you had any success yet ? Any photos ?

SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 08:14

Not yet, I need to know some kind of inert bonding material or adhesive and an inert lubricant for the solenoid valves, that's about the last thing I need to know besides the synthesis for a soluble polyimide, for epitaxial lift off (removal of the substrate for reuse). Ill start ordering things right after I find that out.

Oh.

Go To Top