Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where to obtain sulfuric acid in Canada.
ganger631
Hazard to Self

Mood: Plata o plomo

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 22:03
Where to obtain sulfuric acid in Canada.

As far as i know, sulfuric acid is readily available in the united states as drain cleaners. However, in Canada, it is next to impossible to stock up on general reagents(such as, sulfuric acid), without any special credentials and economically viable.
I've checked my local hardware stores(homedepot, Canadian tire), but no luck so far. Anyone willing to share their source will be gladly appreciated!
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 22:26

Sulfuric acid is found in drain openers, not drain cleaners.
ganger631
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 22:35

Ive spent hours and many visits, im pretty sure ive checked that as well. Most of them are just solution of sodium hydroxide.

[Edited on 14-9-2015 by ganger631]
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-9-2015 at 02:14

I haven't seen a hardware store yet that doesn't carry Sulfuric acid Canac has it as well as Rona and pretty well every independent hardware store don't ask for it because they probably don't know the contents of the bottles read the labels for yourself. which province are you in?
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 12:41

I've seen the brands "Rooto" and "Theochem" with H2SO4 as the active ingredient and in 93% concentration. The main impurity is water and the other main one is Iron (III) Oxide, giving it a red tint, which will both need to be removed via distillation if you intend to have a "technical/reagent grade" product in 98% concentration. I believe that I have heard that battery acid is typically diluted to 40% concentration, which would equally need to be distilled in order to get a premium product.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by Detonationology  
I believe that I have heard that battery acid is typically diluted to 40% concentration, which would equally need to be distilled in order to get a premium product.

Battery acid is about 35%, but I believe it is quite pure - otherwise the battery chemistry and performance would be impaired (unless there is some specific additive I do not know about).

The standards for purified water for diluting sulfuric acid for battery use are pretty strict:
http://www.hoppecke.de/content/download/brochures/zvei/03e_E...
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 13:47

Look in the actual plumbing section of Home Depot etc for it. The regular aisle where they have drano, driveway etch etc doesn't have it. You will see it right away as it is a bottle in a heavy plastic bag. Good luck!

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 21:26

Look for bagged bottles and read the back. It'd be either Hydrochloric, Phosphoric, or Sulfuric Acid. I buy mine from Home Hardware, but the % can vary greatly.
ganger631
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2015 at 13:34

Thanks for the tips. I found some at sulfuric acid drain opener at Rona ,as well as some hydrochloric acid. Oh, I'm also from bc
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 18-9-2015 at 15:13

I agree with the bagged bottle tip. Here in the states, that is how I locate the acidic drain opener over the alkaline ones at a glance. They always seems to come in a bottle, inside of a clear plastic bag. I have found the "rooto" brand to be the most concentrated and clean (clear). It will readily char paper and sugar on contact, and release HCl from table salt at roomtemp. After that, "liquid lightning" is my second choice. It is usually concentrated, but either very dirty and dark with impurities, or heavily dyed.

You could of course always just order some tech grade, 98% conc. sulfuric acid online, from a DIY biofuels website. I use "dudediesel," as they sell liter bottles for a fair price, and ship quickly, and as ORM-D with no hazmat fee. I realize this is domestic only (in the USA), but surely Canada has a similar offering. Sure beats the hell out of boiling down battery electrolyte...

[Edited on 18-9-2015 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
ElSyf88
Harmless

Mood: Moody

[*] posted on 18-9-2015 at 17:47

There is a good some what clear 96% sulfuric acid that I buy at Home Depot, its a Drain Opener and its made by "Ro-Tyme", its in a clear plastic bag in the plumbing aisle for 6$. All home depots carry it in Ontario. I use it as is for nitrating many compounds, and for distillation of HNO3. Its hard enough to find sulfuric acid in Canada, let alone one that's highly concentrated and almost clear with little impurities. hopefully that helps.
If any of you other Canadians know where I can find nitric acid?? that would be swell.

Regards ElSyf

[Edited on 19-9-2015 by ElSyf88]

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 18-9-2015 at 22:18

Quote: Originally posted by ElSyf88  
There is a good some what clear 96% sulfuric acid that I buy at Home Depot, its a Drain Opener and its made by "Ro-Tyme", its in a clear plastic bag in the plumbing aisle for 6$. All home depots carry it in Ontario. I use it as is for nitrating many compounds, and for distillation of HNO3. Its hard enough to find sulfuric acid in Canada, let alone one that's highly concentrated and almost clear with little impurities. hopefully that helps.
If any of you other Canadians know where I can find nitric acid?? that would be swell.

Regards ElSyf

HNO3? About 2 years ago I found several brands of mixed acids. Apparently it would be in a mix with Phosphoric Acid, for driveway / pavement etchant/ cleaner, or drain openers
ganger631
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2015 at 23:23

Regards ElSyf

Last time i saw someone selling 68% Nitric acid on ebay and he was also based off Canada. Just search up "nitric acid" on ebay .ca.
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 19-9-2015 at 05:49

Quote: Originally posted by Hawkguy  

Regards ElSyf

HNO3? About 2 years ago I found several brands of mixed acids. Apparently it would be in a mix with Phosphoric Acid, for driveway / pavement etchant/ cleaner, or drain openers

I believe our friend here meant to say he uses it in ~1:3 ratio a NO3 salt to H2SO4 to make a crude nitrating solution. I use KNO3 because of availability and because I have a 10 pound bag collecting dust from when I was making rockets. The K2SO4 deposited at the bottom of the reaction beaker was rock solid, as are most sulfate salts. When it came time to neutralize it, the bicarb made the HNO3 evolve NO2. I'm waiting on my distillation apparatus to come in the mail to make more concentrated, purified OTC reagents.

Go To Top