Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uses for Methylamine Hydrochloride?
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

wink.gif posted on 21-9-2015 at 17:21
Uses for Methylamine Hydrochloride?

Got a few grams of Methylamine Hydrochloride, but I want to use it up NOW since my experience with Methylamine is that it smells like a shitty fish farm and stinks up the house. Was going to burn it or something, unless anyone suggests a good usage.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 22:49

Methylamine hydrochloride does not smell strongly. I have a sample of 100 grams and it is nearly odorless. The methylamine is fixed in the salt. So, you can keep the salt well, provided it is stored in a tightly sealed container.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 22-9-2015 at 04:15

Quote: Originally posted by Hawkguy  
Got a few grams of Methylamine Hydrochloride, but I want to use it up NOW since my experience with Methylamine is that it smells like a shitty fish farm and stinks up the house. Was going to burn it or something, unless anyone suggests a good usage.

I rather suspect anyone who has such a thing and/or a computer with internet access can figure out plenty of uses- Many of the more "popular" uses that pop up on a google search are related to clandestine drug chemistry. That's why you chose the coy little smiley?

https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/eleusis/met...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 22-9-2015 at 06:50

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Quote: Originally posted by Hawkguy  

I rather suspect anyone who has such a thing and/or a computer with internet access can figure out plenty of uses- Many of the more "popular" uses that pop up on a google search are related to clandestine drug chemistry. That's why you chose the coy little smiley?

https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/eleusis/met...

You sneaky snake. I actually didn't mean that at all, and I'm not really interested in making drugs. Basically all the search results are for amphetamine synthesise, so I'm asking here to find something more legal and just better. The stuff smells since I used a Hexamine excess so there was a lot of byproduct Methylamine, Dimethylamine, and Ammonium Formate.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 22-9-2015 at 07:39

It makes a good oven cleaner but may damage some finishes.
That used to be one of its OTC uses back in the 70s before the age
Of listed chemicals.
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-9-2015 at 09:09

What about getting a free base MeNH2 and then neatrulise with HNO3 to yield methylammonium nitrate?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-9-2015 at 22:41

It can be used for making interesting complexes. Quite a few metal ions form colorful complexes with free methylamine. Some to name are copper, cobalt and chromium. The properties and colors of these complexes differ from these properties of ammonia complexes and can be interesting to investigate. If you want this to be meaningful, however, you need to purify it and get rid of other stuff in it like the formiate and the higher methylated amines.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top