Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  14
Author: Subject: Quest for the elements
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 17-10-2015 at 17:42

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Yeah, like when the beaker is empty: for each reduced Li<sup>+</sup> a nitrate ion must be oxidised! :D

I hope nobody's planning on actually using a beaker - molten lithium doesn't play nice with glass, as detailed by Zan Divine in his thread on ampouling lithium.

I like this idea so far - might be tempted to get some lithium salts and try it out for myself when I get the chance.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2015 at 18:33

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  

I hope nobody's planning on actually using a beaker - molten lithium doesn't play nice with glass, as detailed by Zan Divine in his thread on ampouling lithium.

They only make beakers out of glass now? The things you 'learn' on this site! :D

Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-10-2015 at 18:56

Yeah, like when the beaker is empty: for each reduced Li<sup>+</sup> a nitrate ion must be oxidised! :D

I did tell you someone had tried this before, I just couldn't find the reference.

Search for related posts with 'WGTR' as author and you might find what he did precisely.

Remember: molten nitrates will oxidise anything that's oxidisable.

I'm still not following; say you have 3 LiNO3 molecules. When the first one is electrolyzed, Li is formed at the cathode and something (NO2 and O2?) is formed at the anode. This leaves 2 molecules of LiNO3. One of them reacts with the lithium metal to form an LiNO3 molecule. But then this leaves 2 NO3- ions and 3 Li+ ions? How can this be?
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2015 at 19:13

Quote: Originally posted by Upsilon  

I'm still not following; say you have 3 LiNO3 molecules. When the first one is electrolyzed, Li is formed at the cathode and something (NO2 and O2?) is formed at the anode. This leaves 2 molecules of LiNO3. One of them reacts with the lithium metal to form an LiNO3 molecule. But then this leaves 2 NO3- ions and 3 Li+ ions? How can this be?

You need to work out the EXACT redox reaction for the oxidation of Li(0) to Li(+1) by nitrate ions. Assume the nitrate is reduced to NO.

Hint: nitrogen goes from N(+5) to N(+2), Li from Li(0) to Li(+1).

[Edited on 18-10-2015 by blogfast25]

Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-10-2015 at 19:31

AH! Ok, I see now, lithium nitrate isn't formed, lithium oxide is:
4Li + NO3- -> NO + 2Li2O
(EDIT: And I even got it before I saw the hint :P)

And thus this lithium oxide layer isn't soluble in molten lithium nitrate, protecting the bulk of the lithium metal from further oxidation.

And thanks for letting me know about the incompatibility of lithium with glass, though it shouldn't matter for me; the LiNO3 and KNO3 eutectic melts at around 120C which is much lower than lithium's melting point. I do need to make some KNO3 though.

[Edited on 18-10-2015 by Upsilon]
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 09:17

I want to get to the TiO2 thermite today but it's taking a while to get rid of the water in the NaNO3 solution. Calcium nitrate should technically work as well, right?

UPDATE: So calcium nitrate did not work. I didn't have high hopes because it was in hydrated form (I don't see a quick effective way to dehydrate it). It sparked a little bit when the Mg ribbon hit the pile but it quickly went out. You couldn't even tell if anything happened by looking at it.

So, I did a regular Fe2O3 thermite to get an iron sample (5 pages of the thread already and still no elements officially collected!!!). I used 2.5g of Al and roughly 7g of Fe2O3 and got a couple blobs of iron. I let them soak in vinegar for a while and then scrubbed them with CLR and they cleaned up a bit, but they're still a little dull. I have them stored in a little vial under mineral oil; I would post a picture but I'm too lazy. :P If anyone has any suggestions to make them shine then please, suggest away. But hey, my first officially collected element, woohoo!

Also, one of the pieces is much more magnetically responsive than the other. I'm thinking the other one has a high alumina slag content; I may just throw it out - it's the uglier of the two anyway. Unless someone has a good suggestion for dissolving the alumina without harming the iron too much.

[Edited on 18-10-2015 by Upsilon]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 17:02

I want to get to the TiO2 thermite today but it's taking a while to get rid of the water in the NaNO3 solution. Calcium nitrate should technically work as well, right?

Calcium nitrate would work if it wasn't so G-d damn hygroscopic.

NaNO3 solutions you can simply boil down, then oven dry the product.

Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 17:24

Calcium nitrate would work if it wasn't so G-d damn hygroscopic.

NaNO3 solutions you can simply boil down, then oven dry the product.

That's what I'm having to do. However once I boiled the majority of the water off, it seemed like mini explosions started happening (extremely loud POPs that had enough force to move a 1000mL beaker with ~200mL of liquid; had I not seen it happening it would have eventually migrated off of the hot plate and smashed on the floor). So now I have to leave the rest to oven drying, which is taking quite a while (my drying oven is actually just a fish tank wrapped in aluminum foil, wrapped in a blanket, with a couple 65W incandescent bulbs in the lid. I'm quite pleased with how well it works - it's currently bordering 90C inside! Problem is that there's very little ventilation and it stays fairly humid inside, slowing evaporation rate)
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 18:55

For gallium and indium, I plan on purchasing a Galinstan alloy sample (68% Ga, 22% In, and 10% Sn). To separate them, I am thinking of burning the alloy in chlorine gas to produce GaCl3, InCl3, and SnCl2. The GaCl3 will likely be vaporized during this process and will need to be recondensed. Afterward the InCl3 and SnCl2 mixture will be heated to drive off any remaining GaCl3. The remaining InCl3 and SnCl2 will be dissolved in water, because SnCl2 apparently hydrolyzes when diluted in hot water to form insoluble Sn(OH)Cl (I will likely throw this out, this small amount of tin isn't really worth saving). This will precipitate out, leaving an InCl3 solution. Ga and In could probably be obtained by electrolysis of solutions of their respective chlorides.

That's the theory anyway. This is the best approach I could come up with using readily available information - there is not a whole lot out there on gallium and indium compounds. The Galinstan alloy is also the best "bang for your buck" approach I see - a 10g alloy sample is $30 USD and will theoretically give me 6.8g of gallium and 2.2g of indium.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 19:13

Quote:
a 10g alloy sample is $30 USD and will theoretically give me 6.8g of gallium and 2.2g of indium.

You can buy gallium a lot cheaper than this. Indium is still expensive (and will continue to be so.) I would be surprised if this was really the best bang for your buck. Especially when you consider the costs of the process you describe (and the losses).
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 19:19

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

You can buy gallium a lot cheaper than this. Indium is still expensive (and will continue to be so.) I would be surprised if this was really the best bang for your buck. Especially when you consider the costs of the process you describe (and the losses).

I know it's probably cheaper to buy them on their own. However a lot of places won't sell the metals in these small amounts, so I'll end up paying more for more than I need. I'm sure there's somewhere I can buy small samples, but you're forgetting the OCD factor of needing to produce them myself! :P

I would need to do more research on this before actually carrying this out. I really don't know how the alloy will react to chlorine - whether it will spontaneously ignite upon exposure or if it needs heating. If it doesn't spontaneously ignite, then loss shouldn't be too bad - I would fill the flask with chlorine, then move it to a condenser setup and apply heat. If it does ignite on contact, then I would probably lose some GaCl3 through the chlorine input tube.

EDIT: It might actually be easier to use bromine instead of chlorine; more predictable and easier to carry out (essentially reacting 2 liquids; no burning required). The only issue with that is that I don't know if the tin(ii) bromide hydrolyzes like the chloride; in that case I could run chlorine through the InBr3 + SnBr2 solution to convert them to chlorides and continue from here as outlined above. Still uses chlorine gas but at least will avoid losses associated with burning.

[Edited on 19-10-2015 by Upsilon]
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 19:47

Good luck. I have not forgotten the synthesising challenge. That is where the fun is. i just know what I am capable of and this looks like a bit of a headache. Even playing with something as gunky as SnCl2 is offputting.

I like your thinking though. This might be a good way of purifying an already relatively clean sample.

It seems to me like gallinstan might be an ideal candidate for zone-refining. Totally different process, but it might really work well.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 14:37

I wonder if the alloy would react with conc. HCl at any appreciable rate? That would certainly make things much easier. I'm not sure I want to order the alloy just yet, but when I finally get around to to, I'll have to test a tiny amount with some HCl to see if it works. Unless someone knows for sure whether or not it will work.

I think I'm going to go for manganese next (made from manganese dioxide). I'd rather avoid manganese dioxide thermite (it is certainly cool but not really practical for collecting samples), so I have to try something else. I'm thinking of reacting manganese dioxide with aqueous sodium metabisulfite - manganese should be reduced to Mn2+ and metabisulfite reduced to sulfate affording manganese sulfate, but I'm not totally sure what the reaction here is. My best guess is:
2MnO2 + Na2S2O5 -> 2MnSO4 + Na2O
Can anyone confirm?
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 15:01

My best guess is:
2MnO2 + Na2S2O5 -> 2MnSO4 + Na2O
Can anyone confirm?

Na2S2O5 + 2 MnO2 + H2SO4 === > Na2SO4 + 2 MnSO4 + H2O

Note that this does need H2SO4 and probably some gentle heat.

Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 15:07

Na2S2O5 + 2 MnO2 + H2SO4 === > Na2SO4 + 2 MnSO4 + H2O

Note that this does need H2SO4 and probably some gentle heat.

Ah, ok. That's not a problem. To extract metallic manganese, would it be feasible to reduce the MnSO4 solution with aluminum? Would the manganese react too badly with water?
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 15:52

A quick scan of reduction potentials Link gives a potential of -1.185V for reduction of Mn. This is the wrong side of -0.8227 for electrolysis of water. In other words, Mn reduction is not going to work easily in an aqueous environment. (The reduction of water at -0.83V forms a convenient dividing line in the table. Metals on one side can be electroplated in solution. Metals on the other side can't.)

Aluminium is certainly a powerful enough reducing agent. I think you could come up with a nice thermite for this. You would want to crystallise the manganese sulfate -- you will probably get the heptahydrate. You then want to drive off the water of hydration. Then set up for a thermite.

An alternative, and probably more feasible would be to convert back to MnO2. This, freshly precipitated and nice and pure will be easy to work with and react well.

Blogfast will undoubtedly be along soon to tell us that Mn thermites tend to have low yields and a lot of slag mixed with the metal. The Mn tends to boil off. This is correct. I don't know if working with the sulfate improves this situation at all. I suspect not. You should probably consider adding a flux and something to absorb a bit of the heat if you want to keep your product.

An alternative is carbon reduction. If only you had a source of nicely mixed MnO2 and carbon powder...
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 16:03

Well hell, at that rate I may as well just electrolyze molten manganese(II) acetate (only a 210C melting point!)
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 16:16

I have no idea how acetate behaves in molten salt electrolysis. One way to find out.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 16:28

I have no idea how acetate behaves in molten salt electrolysis. One way to find out.

Well technically any molten ionic compound can be electrolyzed. Manganese is immediately formed at the cathode, and god knows what at the anode - but what happens at the anode shouldn't really matter as long as it is kept separate from the cathode. The only issue I could imagine is some incompatibility of manganese with molten manganese acetate - I don't think it would attack the manganese since acetate isn't a very good oxidizer. There's the possibility that this could fail for the same reason KOH electrolysis fails, but I find that unlikely since manganese isn't even close to liquefying at these temperatures - but hey, I really don't know either. I'll definitely be trying this.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 17:11

A quick scan of reduction potentials Link gives a potential of -1.185V for reduction of Mn. This is the wrong side of -0.8227 for electrolysis of water. In other words, Mn reduction is not going to work easily in an aqueous environment. (The reduction of water at -0.83V forms a convenient dividing line in the table. Metals on one side can be electroplated in solution. Metals on the other side can't.)

Aluminium is certainly a powerful enough reducing agent. I think you could come up with a nice thermite for this. You would want to crystallise the manganese sulfate -- you will probably get the heptahydrate. You then want to drive off the water of hydration. Then set up for a thermite.

An alternative, and probably more feasible would be to convert back to MnO2. This, freshly precipitated and nice and pure will be easy to work with and react well.

Blogfast will undoubtedly be along soon to tell us that Mn thermites tend to have low yields and a lot of slag mixed with the metal. The Mn tends to boil off. This is correct. I don't know if working with the sulfate improves this situation at all. I suspect not. You should probably consider adding a flux and something to absorb a bit of the heat if you want to keep your product.

An alternative is carbon reduction. If only you had a source of nicely mixed MnO2 and carbon powder...

Correct on all counts.

The MnO2 thermite is possible, gives fairly low yields and has been reported on by moi on this forum. Let me know if you can't find it.

Electrodeposition of Mn from aqueous solution appears possible (despite the SRPs being unfavourable) but it ain't easy, I think.

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 17:11

It may also fail due to decomposition into carbonate, or some such. Be sure to check stability at your desired temperature.

I managed electroplating of Mn using MnCl2, a 60/40 solder anode, and a Cu cathode. The Mn easily oxidized, and required scrubbing every now and then to keep shiny and silver. Yield was pitiful, though that may have been more the fault of my electrical setup than anything.

[Edited on 10-20-2015 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 17:48

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
It may also fail due to decomposition into carbonate, or some such.

Ermm... explain?

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 17:53

Correct on all counts.
<snip>

I have come a long way in a year of hanging around this place. Much of it due to reading your posts blogfast. Thanks.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 18:10

I have come a long way in a year of hanging around this place. Much of it due to reading your posts blogfast. Thanks.

I prefer to think whatever progress anyone makes is largely due to their own efforts.

Having said that, flattery works for me too! ;)

A word on the MnO2 thermite. It's a rare case where instead of boosting, cooling (with CaF2 or CaO) is needed. That's because the BP of Mn and the MP of alumina are very close together, leading to some of the formed Mn boiling off. That effect can be reduced a bit by slowing the burn with inert heat sinks like CaF2 or the cheaper CaO. Personal experience, that. I spent an awful lot of time experimenting that thermite.

[Edited on 20-10-2015 by blogfast25]

Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 18:29

I'll be trying the manganese acetate molten electrolysis when I have the time, then. Problem is that I need to clean up my sulfuric acid first from being stored for too long :mad: It's not really a big deal, it's barely got a gray tinge to it, but I have the urge to clean it before using it.

Also I should note that my 50 grams of cinnabar (HgS) powder should be coming in soon. Wikipedia outlines roasting it in air and condensing the mercury vapor...but uh, mercury vapor, not gonna happen :P
Instead I will try reacting it with a concentrated acid and electrolysing the aqueous corresponding salt. HgCl2 isn't terribly soluble in water, so I may use nitric acid instead of HCl. I don't know how soluble mercury nitrate is but nitrates are typically more soluble than chlorides so it's worth a shot.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  14

Go To Top