Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Caffeine citrate synthesis?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2015 at 00:41
Caffeine citrate synthesis?

I've seen a few very short explanations about what goes into making CC but I'd like to clarify some things. I found this on another thread that gives some details about caffeine and citrate.
SciMad Caffeine HCL discussion

Since anhydrous dissolves @ 2:3 caffeine:100 deg C H2O. The post says equal parts of citric acid is needed but it also mentions that sodium benzonate is also used at times.

Is it possible to do this without sodium benzonate?

If I were to put say 10g H20 and 5G caffeine and heat till boiling then add 5g citric acid until dissolved. stir to ensure complete mixing. After allow to evaporate (what proces can be used, heat to boil off water or should a fan/vacuum be used - I'm hoping boiling can work).

The resultin should be caffeine citrate from what I have pieced together although the sources were very vague.

Can anyone enlighten me on what exactly need to be done to make CC? Much thanks in advance!
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2015 at 00:58

You need coffeine and citric acid.
Once I mixed equal masses (5g : 5g) coffeine and citric acid hydrate in a mortar with a pestle. The resulting powder was water soluble. Depending on the intended use of CC, no overcomplication is needed.
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-10-2015 at 03:09

Whats the decomposition point of caffiene citrate reported in literature? Did you look for it?

If it's significantly higher than the boiling point of water, heat on a steam bath until dry crystals. If it's close/lower, steam bath till 70% of water is gone, then light heat and good airflow(a fan blowing hot air over it for example) for the rest.

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2015 at 06:54

Quote: Originally posted by Pumukli  
You need coffeine and citric acid.
Once I mixed equal masses (5g : 5g) coffeine and citric acid hydrate in a mortar with a pestle. The resulting powder was water soluble. Depending on the intended use of CC, no overcomplication is needed.

Don't know if coffeine is the same as caffiene (never heard it called the former). I read that it is caffeine derived from coffee but other sources say it is just regular caffeine.

Also, IDK if by hydrate you mean monohydrate or something else (again forgive me as I'm pretty new to this). The CA that I have is a dry powder that is food grade (it does say "d crystals on the label..)
Pumukli
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2015 at 12:52

I stand corrected, caffeine is the right spelling. The hydrate means citric acid monohydrate.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-10-2015 at 19:29

Well I thought I had made a mess. I added 5g Caff powder to 11g of dH2O and heated until boiling. Then added 5g cit acid and swirled. Liquid was very clear with very slight yellow/brown tint only noticable when white paper held behind beaker.

poured petri dish, heated until small bubbles appearead, turned on low for 5 mins, heated till bubble, turned on low - repeated until clear sticky substance was left.

I thought it would crystalize but just remained a clear/ light brownish sticky liquid. Thought this was ruined so threw in sink to soak. IDK if there was some soap in the water or not (probably a little) but when I looked a couple hours later this is what was there:

cafcit1.jpg - 82kB

cafcit2.jpg - 137kB

they have the texture of damp wet silk fibers. What's the deal here?
Pumukli
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2015 at 22:54

The deal is that some compounds have a hard time to crystallize without "seeding". You can help them by placing such compounds into a cool place (fridge) for a while, say overnight.

I think you were too quick with the disposal of your product in this case, a bit more patience (hmm, neglect) would have helped.

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 21-6-2017 at 12:09

Anyone know offhand if there are any caffeine salts which will precipitate out of solution when the acid is added? Organic solvent or aqueous.....

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.

Go To Top