Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hi let me introduce myself
shadowwinter
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 02:11
Hi let me introduce myself

Hi guys new here just thought I might say a few things about me so you know what to expect and who I might be able get advice from. I like making stuff go boom and am particularly interested in collecting as many different synths for energetics as possible though so far my only experience is with peroxides. I am also particularly interested in finding out as much as I can about lx series explosives and overall just eager to learn don't worry though you won't have to spoon feed me just be nice to tell someone I'm an explosives enthusiast without having the cops called and to find some people with common interests.sorry don't know what happened glitch? For some reason posted three times.

[Edited on 19-10-2015 by shadowwinter]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 19-10-2015 at 02:17

Ok. you have introduced yourself three times now. You might want to delete the two superfluous threads.

Welcome to SM. Read and enjoy. You will find lots of other EM enthusiasts here. (I am not one of them.) Take time to read the FAQ too. This forum is a bit different from many others in that we prefer to add to an existing thread no matter how old rather than begin a new thread on the same topic. That way all relevant information is concentrated in one place.

There is a wealth of expertise here. I am certain you will find help with all kinds of "things that go boom".
J.
Agari
Banned

Mood: Lowest Oxidation State

[*] posted on 3-11-2015 at 20:59

Quote: Originally posted by shadowwinter  
Hi guys new here just thought I might say a few things about me so you know what to expect and who I might be able get advice from. I like making stuff go boom and am particularly interested in collecting as many different synths for energetics as possible though so far my only experience is with peroxides. I am also particularly interested in finding out as much as I can about lx series explosives and overall just eager to learn don't worry though you won't have to spoon feed me just be nice to tell someone I'm an explosives enthusiast without having the cops called and to find some people with common interests.sorry don't know what happened glitch? For some reason posted three times.

[Edited on 19-10-2015 by shadowwinter]
The very fact that you mentioned being an explosives enthusiast "that likes to make things go boom"would make others consider you a "kewl",someone who is an energetic materials enthusiast and typically does not do it for exploring the science behind said materials,but rather for bragging rights and would likely result in you not being taken seriously.Hopefully,the above does not describe you.
If you are interested in explosives,you should start with TNT,picric acid(toxic and highly sensitive),hexamine(Precursor to explosives),and possibly hydrazine (Also highly toxic). Those are not part of the lx series,but are a good start.
Now,welcome to the forum,and do not become the next SM Darwin Award candidate like Myfanwy (Died from phosgene poisoning at 15 in 2010,he also synthesized hydrazine,chloropicrin,and cyanide without taking precautions).
Send me a U2U if you got any questions or concerns.

[Edited on 4-11-2015 by Agari]
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 07:33

Speaking of people that aren't taken seriously on this forum, Agari, aren't you the one that supposedly made phosgene without proper experience on how to handle its synthesis, and without stating any reason for its preparation?

"picric acid(toxic and highly sensitive)"
I take it you haven't made picric acid before, then.

[Edited on 11-4-2015 by Amos]

Big Boss
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 09:53

Agari don't kid yourself bossing people around acting a general prat and please show some respect for the dead. You've been registered on the forum less than 1 month.
Don't be that guy.

Kept you waiting, huh?

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 11:37

Welcome to the forum shadowwinter.

Thankyou for deleting the superfluous 2 copies of your post.

One thing that identifies a member who actually wishes to be heard and understood is simply using Paragraphs - add a blank line now and then to make your posts more readable.

Take a look at the 6 posts so far.

Some are easily read, others are less clear.

Now, truck on over to the 'Energetic Materials' section for all that you could wish to know about things that go Boom !

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 16:35

Quote: Originally posted by Big Boss  
Agari don't kid yourself bossing people around acting a general prat and please show some respect for the dead. You've been registered on the forum less than 1 month.
Don't be that guy.

" A good example would be the video by recently-deceased SM member MyFanwy(I had to mention him,it tends to pull some emotional strings around here)"-From the Putriscene Toxicity thread in Organics,it works like a charm.
I do however have to note that MF did not wear any gloves when synthesizing cyanide,and according to a comment that he dropped on his hydrazine video, breathed in toxic gasses without caring about potential hazards. To top is all off?He performed the synthesis of Chloropicrin inside without adequate ventilation.
Edit:I found the Chloropicrin video on a channel called "Santriell",which bore a close resemblance to the way Myfanwy's videos are made,the last video of which happens to date over 2 years ago,is there a chance that that is Myfanwy's alternative channel and that he faked his death? Also,did MF attempt synthesis of anything else?

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
"picric acid(toxic and highly sensitive)"
I take it you haven't made picric acid before, then

I have to admit,I did not try the synthesis of Picric Acid, but you gave me an idea on what to do next.

Speaking of people that aren't taken seriously on this forum, Agari, aren't you the one that supposedly made phosgene without proper experience on how to handle its synthesis, and without stating any reason for its preparation?

I have actually stated the reason for the synthesis of COCl2 in the phosgene thread,please take the time to read it carefully,it is somewhere in the replies section,not in the original post. As for experience,I don't work at a chemical plant where phosgene is produced,but I can tell you that breathing in ethanol that was brought to a boil after wearing a respirator and submerging the apparatus used for synthesis in a solution of sodium hydroxide in water and THEN going to a pulmonologist to make sure that I didn't have only a few days to live was not pleasant.

Unrelated: Does anybody know what hydrogen fluoride smells like,or is it odorless?

[Edited on 5-11-2015 by Agari]

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 16:51

Quote: Originally posted by Agari  
but I can tell you that breathing in ethanol that was brought to a boil after wearing a respirator and submerging the apparatus used for synthesis in a solution of sodium hydroxide in water and THEN going to a pulmonologist to make sure that I didn't have only a few days to live was not pleasant.
You say that as if it wasn't your fault. Can't you take some responsibility and admit that it was a stupid idea to attempt that synthesis and you should have taken the advice everyone tried to give you?

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 16:57

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Quote: Originally posted by Agari  
but I can tell you that breathing in ethanol that was brought to a boil after wearing a respirator and submerging the apparatus used for synthesis in a solution of sodium hydroxide in water and THEN going to a pulmonologist to make sure that I didn't have only a few days to live was not pleasant.
You say that as if it wasn't your fault. Can't you take some responsibility and admit that it was a stupid idea to attempt that synthesis and you should have taken the advice everyone tried to give you?

I survived and walked away with some new carbonyldiimidazole though,now to put it to use after a week or two from now.

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 17:01

I already told you what hydrogen fluoride smells like in a different thread, Agari. The point we're trying to get across to you is that you shouldn't be talking down to a new member when you yourself rely heavily on this forum to keep yourself getting killed on what seems to be a daily basis.

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 17:24

I already told you what hydrogen fluoride smells like in a different thread, Agari.

Sorry,I wrote the question out before I checked back and saw the reply in the Leaky Joints thread.
Big Boss
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 17:26

Myfanwy was a fairly competent chemist actually, I'm sure you've learned from your experience that it isn't hard to start letting proper safety procedures slip. You made a mistake, be glad you were properly educated on the dangers and got checked before you could have very easily ended up like myfanwy. We have no issues with that, learn from your mistakes and move on, however what we do have a problem with is you acting high and mighty, that you're somehow better than other members, calling shadowwinter a kewl seems incredibly hypocritical to me at least, a kewl doesn't follow proper safety protocols and ignores instructions given to him.
Also using myfanwy as emotional leverage is not on either, you could have very easily ended up like him so stop pretending you are superior in any way to him and no, it didn't work "like a charm"

Kept you waiting, huh?

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 18:10

Please. Everyone keep their attitudes in a box, fore brain engaged, mouths mostly shut, eyes & ears open.

Nothing here is intrinsically safe. Most of it doesn't stalk you in the night and attack unprovoked either. Ballance a healthy respect/learning from the last guy who pissed on the electric fence with gaining valuable hands on experience.

And remember, death does not care how big your balls were, only that you left them where the door could slam on 'em.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top